Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I'm using facts from other fields of biology (human genome project) while all you have is speculation and desire that feeds your blind optimism (no offence). Even looking at Ray's predictions he must have realized that it would take years considering he has a 16 year span from the time the project is finished to when we'll have a hyper intelligence. You admit that you have limited knowledge in biology yet you still feel it'll be a quick fix, you think computer programmers will do in a few years what biologists have not been able to in decades; it sounds ridiculous considering biology is not even their field?

P.S. - I apologize if the response sounds rude or like a rant, it's not my intention to offend anyone; I simply think it's frustrating to see people making predictions on things they don't fully understand.
First off I don't take much personally and actually we do a pretty good job of disagreeing with each other's ideas but respecting the person and that is how it should be on city data.

I know there is much more I can learn on the topic and that is one reason I post here and especially why I read books and look at interviews and talks on line. Two dates I am the most confident of are 2030 and 2045 as I have studied it enough to be 100% certain that will be the start of the singularity. Now exactly when we will have reverse aging or be able to turn off the fat gene and when life expectancy will begin to go up faster then we age I am not certain of but I have read it will be before 2024. I am not exactly sure when we will have VR to the point that I can have a second life and design my perfect Pueblo but I have heard it will be in the 2020's. AI is, also, another complicated issue. I do think we will see significant advancement in AI in this decade, more in the 2020's and even more in the 2030's etc. Completely revere engineering the brain will help speed it up but we already know a lot and why there are so many advancements in AI today.

I was looking up more on line and I found this talk about AI and Ray's book How to Create a Mind from C-SPAN 2. This is the link:

Author and inventor Ray Kurzweil talked about his neuroscience research, in which he reverse-engineered the brain in order to assist in building intelligent machines. Mr. Kurzweil talked about this research with Editor of Scientific American Mind, Ingrid Wickelgren.

After Words with Ray Kurzweil - C-SPAN Video Library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
as an FYI, for some, the Singularity has become a religion of sorts. That should help you understand some things people say.
I have heard that but for me this is noting like religion. I am agnostic but I do have my belief on what happens after we die, yes I do think I will die some day, but I admit that is just a belief and could be wrong. To me this is science pure and simple just like studying the big bang theory or the theory of evolution. While I talk about Ray Kurzweil a lot the singularity is not reliant on him happening. The singularity will be here around 2030 to 2045 while none of us are guaranteed to see it.

EDIT: My hope is to live long enough to see the day science explains what happens after we die with 100% certainty. I have no clue when that will be though except it will take a lot more technology then we have today. I am talking thousands maybe millions of years.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-06-2013 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have heard that but for me this is noting like religion. I am agnostic but I do have my belief on what happens after we die, yes I do think I will die some day, but I admit that is just a belief and could be wrong. To me this is science pure and simple just like studying the big bang theory or the theory of evolution. While I talk about Ray Kurzweil a lot the singularity is not reliant on him happening. The singularity will be here around 2030 to 2045 while none of us are guaranteed to see it.

EDIT: My hope is to live long enough to see the day science explains what happens after we die with 100% certainty. I have no clue when that will be though except it will take a lot more technology then we have today. I am talking thousands maybe millions of years.
While I want to live long enough to see the space exploration age (though some claim the singularity could destroy that). Anyway, I'm surprised you're not an atheists most transhumanists are, since the idea is not compatible with the supernatural. For example, if a soul exists then uploading your consciousness to live forever will likely not be possible, if our consciousness are nothing more than chemical reactions of the brain then there is no soul and mind upload will be possible, but then it begs the question whether it will truly be you or a very advanced copy?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
While I want to live long enough to see the space exploration age (though some claim the singularity could destroy that). Anyway, I'm surprised you're not an atheists most transhumanists are, since the idea is not compatible with the supernatural. For example, if a soul exists then uploading your consciousness to live forever will likely not be possible, if our consciousness are nothing more than chemical reactions of the brain then there is no soul and mind upload will be possible, but then it begs the question whether it will truly be you or a very advanced copy?
I think given our current level of technology it's impossible to know for 100% certainty if there is a god or not. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being certain there is no god, I am a 9.5. Even if there is a god at this point we don't know where our Conscious comes from. We could have a god and still not have a soul, at least the way man made religion defines it. I do think if I live long enough science will answer this question but as I posted I think we are talking a very very long time.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM

Now you meantioned space travel. One of the reasons I want to live billions of years, or more, is so I can explore the universe. However I don't want to even think about it till we have the technology that will make it safe and fun. I'm talking ships the size of small moons that can travel very fast with defensive capability so no one can destroy it. I know it will take a long time and am prepared to wait as long as it takes for our technology to get to that level.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Now you meantioned space travel. One of the reasons I want to live billions of years, or more, is so I can explore the universe. However I don't want to even think about it till we have the technology that will make it safe and fun. I'm talking ships the size of small moons that can travel very fast with defensive capability so no one can destroy it. I know it will take a long time and am prepared to wait as long as it takes for our technology to get to that level.
That will be interesting.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
What worries me about space travel is the following (I hope it's not like that): Why Star Trek's Vision of the Future is Out of Date

....Without spaceships, there would be no Star Trek, and by consequence, no human future in space. At least, that's the conventional thinking.

...It's very unlikely, however, that space will be explored and colonized in this way.

...What Stross proposes is a system that utilizes machine-phase diamond-substrate nanotechnology, mind uploading, and artificial general intelligence. The end result wouldn't be much like a "ship". Rather, it would consist of a diamondoid data storage device (which would hold the data patterns of the uninstantiated space travelers) hanging below a light sail. The sail itself would be energized by lasers that are powered by huge orbiting solar power stations. Technically speaking, there would be no biological travelers aboard — just uploaded minds or some other kind of machine intelligence. Nanotech assemblers would take care of any need for physicality. Once at its destination, the device would come to a stop, settle on a planet, and go about the farming of materials to build a biosphere (or some kind of infrastructure), including a way to communicate back home.

So with my due apologies to Trekkies, no Galaxy Class Starship await your descendants.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 PM

When I was growing up I loved Star Trek because I thought it was how the future would be and if I could not live it I wanted to watch it. I now realize that was wrong and like most science fiction movies Star Trek was what people of the 60's or 80s or 90's thought the future would be like. That's ok I still love Star Trek as it made a huge impression on me and society.

Now most of the article I agree with but not the part on ships. Granted this is predicting past the singularity and I continue to think its impossible but I still see star ships in our future with artificial gravity. Other then those two things I agrees with what it said.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
When I was growing up I loved Star Trek because I thought it was how the future would be and if I could not live it I wanted to watch it. I now realize that was wrong and like most science fiction movies Star Trek was what people of the 60's or 80s or 90's thought the future would be like. That's ok I still love Star Trek as it made a huge impression on me and society.

Now most of the article I agree with but not the part on ships. Granted this is predicting past the singularity and I continue to think its impossible but I still see star ships in our future with artificial gravity. Other then those two things I agrees with what it said.
I would love to visit Gliese586-C and Kepler22-B.

Even Mars, Europa, or Encelodus even looks good for a day trip sometimes…

Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I would love to visit Gliese586-C and Kepler22-B.

Even Mars, Europa, or Encelodus even looks good for a day trip sometimes…
There are so many places I want to visit. There are billions of galaxy's in the known universe. Honestly I think in time the reach of our knowledge will be more then anyone could even begin to imagine today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology