Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,847 times

Advertisements

I think if you learn to mix technology and nature in moderation it can be good.

I also don't think technology kills the spirit. Depending on what that technology is, it can free the spirit.

Case in point: I don't want this to sound like an advertisement but, right before I saw this thread I was creating a piece of music in GarageBand. Until GB was created I had struggled for years just get to a point where I could collaborate musically with other musicians. As you may know, people are loaded with prejudices, likes, dislikes, etc. They are also busy, distracted, petty, mean, phonies, et. You get the picture. So I found it nearly impossible to break through that just so I could realize my dream of just getting to the point of really experimenting with music. Basically decades of my life wasted because people can't see eye to eye on things.

And here comes a piece of technology like GB (I will be getting Logic Pro soon) that HAS indeed freed my spirit. I can finally write the kind of music I envision after all those wasted years. Technology and only the people who built that technology did that for me. Not actual musicians. All other musicians did was put up barriers, not intentionally, but just the haphazard circumstances of dealing with unreliable people pretty much crushed my dream.

Technology has given me my dream back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
I just turned 30 and yeah, I love technology. (I feel like I'm at an AA meeting).

But really, my wife and I take walks, we'll go on photoshoots out doors, ride our bikes, and I play music.

I think I'm a bit devoid spiritually; I need to meditate more and work out more, but that ain't technology's fault.

I HATE viral videos and most of what's on youtube, I think it's banal, vapid, easy humor, but my friends and I make them, go figure.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
With every ones craving/addiction for all things technical its only a matter of time before technology develops artificial intelligence the result of which will be ultimately humans being rendered irrelevant and the techno bomb that went off in Roswell back in 47 will have been mission accomplished,another world occupied and controlled by the mainframe/hive mind..
OK lets switch to decaf

Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 PM

535 posts, read 585,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I think if you learn to mix technology and nature in moderation it can be good.

I also don't think technology kills the spirit. Depending on what that technology is, it can free the spirit.

Case in point: I don't want this to sound like an advertisement but, right before I saw this thread I was creating a piece of music in GarageBand. Until GB was created I had struggled for years just get to a point where I could collaborate musically with other musicians. As you may know, people are loaded with prejudices, likes, dislikes, etc. They are also busy, distracted, petty, mean, phonies, et. You get the picture. So I found it nearly impossible to break through that just so I could realize my dream of just getting to the point of really experimenting with music. Basically decades of my life wasted because people can't see eye to eye on things.

And here comes a piece of technology like GB (I will be getting Logic Pro soon) that HAS indeed freed my spirit. I can finally write the kind of music I envision after all those wasted years. Technology and only the people who built that technology did that for me. Not actual musicians. All other musicians did was put up barriers, not intentionally, but just the haphazard circumstances of dealing with unreliable people pretty much crushed my dream.

Technology has given me my dream back.

Good post. Definitely a good thing of technology, is that it gives us common folks a chance at stardom, reaching millions of people that we could've never before. A lot bigger audience.

Thanks for all the posts in this thread, I gave many reputations. Yes, I need to learn how to balance my life with technology. But, I think many people, especially younger folks, are not managing it well, which is making it into a negative on the human spirit. Hopefully with time, we will all learn how to use it correctly.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 AM

147 posts, read 314,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
Good post. Definitely a good thing of technology, is that it gives us common folks a chance at stardom, reaching millions of people that we could've never before. A lot bigger audience.
Yes, we have frequently been hearing about how social media is allowing people to collaborate like never before.

Quote:
Thanks for all the posts in this thread, I gave many reputations. Yes, I need to learn how to balance my life with technology. But, I think many people, especially younger folks, are not managing it well, which is making it into a negative on the human spirit. Hopefully with time, we will all learn how to use it correctly.
Unfortunately, in complete contrast to what I just said, the younger generation that is growing up with this technology are practically joined at the hips with it and to some of the older generation at least, seem detached from their peers. Their form of "socializing" is so vastly different from the way we used to do it that we really don't know whether this is "normal" (it is for their generation) or not. They can communicate with many peers at anytime they want from anywhere they want. However, it is also greatly limited in the sense that it's less of human interaction and more like human-machine interaction. The interaction occurs via a cyber medium, and it's funny looking to us because we grew up without it. On the flip side of the coin, their very medium of communication is also open grounds for some very addictive marketing. They get hooked on to a life that is dependent on things that are sold to them. I've seen some young people not really know what to do with themselves outside of this cyber world of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology