Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times

Advertisements

Several times a week I get calls from different states that phone id is Cardmember Services and the pitch is they can lower my credit card interest. They try to sound like they are one of my existing cards but I know it is some kind of scam. How do you stop them I am on the do not call registry. This one and the free travel scam are very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM

30 posts, read 96,140 times
It is impossible to stop them. They spoof the caller id, so you can't block the # directly. They don't truly have a "caller registry" that they remove you from at request. If you talk to a person, they will tell you to eff off and hang up.

If you keep answering and keep yelling at the people, it doesn't get your any closer to getting off their list. If you keep answering and pressing "1" to get off their list, that doesn't help either.

How it works -- a computer calls you and when it detects a voice, it starts playing the message. If you don't speak or press a key to get off the list, it puts it on the list of "maybe not a valid number" list since it doesn't really know if it connected to a human. Eventually, if you keep NOT speaking, it will stop calling you, since it is wasting their time/money to call you.

It is a scam. It is trying to prey on the vulnerable.

I ultimately put my home phone in DND-Reject mode. When FiOS you can put 10 numbers as "exceptions" to the DND-Reject. So I put the front gate number, wife, parents, sitter, nanny, etc, as the exceptions. They are the only ones that can ring my home phone. It is a lot more peaceful around my house now.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Several times a week I get calls from different states that phone id is Cardmember Services and the pitch is they can lower my credit card interest. They try to sound like they are one of my existing cards but I know it is some kind of scam. How do you stop them I am on the do not call registry. This one and the free travel scam are very annoying.
Ugh. They call all the time. I usually ignore the call.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Put a fax on your phone with the ring count before pickup set to 10 .

If I do not recognize the number when I get a call, I let my fax answer it.

Stops the robocalls and the live calls.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Do what I did years ago, dump your copper phone line....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do what I did years ago, dump your copper phone line....
That's no panacea. My wireless phone gets nearly as many goofy, scammy telemarketing calls as my (VoIP) landline. It even got a phone phishing call recently.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
They are criminals plain and simple.

Even 3 weeks before the election, the cardmember services and one that starts about "the FBI has reported....." to sell home security still out number the political robo calls. 60 Minutes or similiar show did a story on them by name last week.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
They have been operating for at least five years, and they will call you several times a week, forever. Sometimes they say they are from "Account Services" or "Credit Card Services".

If you are on the Do Not Call list, it is a crime for them to call you. Call 911 and report it. The response of the local police is a laugh a minute. "We don't handle those crimes". You will be given a phone number and a web address to file a complaint. You can file a separate complaint every day, and you won't even get an acknowledgement that anybody has received your complaint, for the simple reason that nobody has received your complaint. It has gone into a black hole. Nobody will ever know that you complained.

The complaint form requires that you identify the caller, by telephone number, name, company, address, city and state. You have already noticed that they do not cheerfully volunteer that information. If you cannot provide that information, and do all the legwork yourself at your own expense, to assemble all the evidence needed for a prosecution, the "prosecutors" are not interested in hearing from you, and just throw your complaints away.

In Nigeria, there is a law against things like this, called Law 419. If the USA has a similar law, there is no enforcement of it, and criminals in the USA have immunity to do what Nigeria prosecutes people for. Online you can find details about US Marshalls have assisted in prosecuting Nigerians violating Law 419. But t hey can't (or won't) track down the Account Services callers, even though they probably also call the US Marshalls at home.

I expect the Nigerian scammers to pull up stakes and move to the USA, where there is absolutely no risk that they will ever be tracked down and prosecuted.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you are on the Do Not Call list, it is a crime for them to call you. Call 911 and report it. The response of the local police is a laugh a minute. "We don't handle those crimes". You will be given a phone number and a web address to file a complaint. You can file a separate complaint every day, and you won't even get an acknowledgement that anybody has received your complaint, for the simple reason that nobody has received your complaint. It has gone into a black hole. Nobody will ever know that you complained.
DO NOT CALL 911. 911 is the number for emergencies, not simply the number to report any crime. If someone is breaking into your house, 911 is the number to call. If someone keyed your car, 911 is not appropriate. If you do call 911 you should consider yourself lucky if the police just ignore you. If you really want to report something, call the regular police phone number, which you can find in a phone book. They probably won't take you seriously, as you should already know there isn't anything they can do, but you won't be tying up an emergency services line.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
DO NOT CALL 911. 911 is the number for emergencies, not simply the number to report any crime. If someone is breaking into your house, 911 is the number to call. If someone keyed your car, 911 is not appropriate. If you do call 911 you should consider yourself lucky if the police just ignore you. If you really want to report something, call the regular police phone number, which you can find in a phone book. They probably won't take you seriously, as you should already know there isn't anything they can do, but you won't be tying up an emergency services line.
I have our local police department number in my cell phone. When I visit other cities I put theirs in while I'm there. Doesn't pay to **** off the locals by dialing 911 for non-emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology