Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:22 PM

746 posts, read 866,329 times

Advertisements

I am. People end up hating others if they have to drive them around, I guess that's understandable. Robots and computers won't get mad at you, cause they're programmed to do whatever, and they're machines, so they can't get mad at you. Pretty sad it has to go to that. Relying on robots because people don't want to help others, so we have to build robots and program them to help us (that'd probably happen anyway, but that's not my point).

Google take the wheel (literally)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I am ready. That is not to say I will not miss driving but I do think this will overall be better.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
NO !
I used to be in a related business.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Good god, no! Absolutely not! That's the day I sell my car and move to an island without any roads. Why on god's green earth would anyone who has ever sworn at their computer trust one to drive a freakin' automobile at 70 miles per hour? This is nothing short of absolute insanity.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Good god, no! Absolutely not! That's the day I sell my car and move to an island without any roads. Why on god's green earth would anyone who has ever sworn at their computer trust one to drive a freakin' automobile at 70 miles per hour? This is nothing short of absolute insanity.
Why would anyone trust a human to drive a automoblie at 70 miles.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Are you ready to let go of the wheel and let the car itself drive?

If or when I become unable to drive......YES!

Much better than losing my independence!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
The question is, will you still need a driver's license?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,307 times
" And then Skynet became fully operational. It was software in cyberspace......"

Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Computers don't make mistakes, the humans operating or programming them do. Garbage in, garbage out.

For highway driving this would actually be vast improvement. The primary reason for accidents on the highway is the disruption of the flow of traffic whether it's the slow poke driver or the guy weaving in and out of traffic.

I forget what the actual time is but it takes the average human a second or two to process that information and move their foot from the gas to the brake. A computer could do it in a fraction of a second, you could actually have bumper to bumper traffic safely flowing at any speed.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:13 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I am. People end up hating others if they have to drive them around, I guess that's understandable. Robots and computers won't get mad at you, cause they're programmed to do whatever, and they're machines, so they can't get mad at you. Pretty sad it has to go to that. Relying on robots because people don't want to help others, so we have to build robots and program them to help us (that'd probably happen anyway, but that's not my point).

Google take the wheel (literally)
I'd NEVER trust anything but myself or a human to drive. I find it hard to believe you're STILL stressing over driving? DID you ever get some help for your anxiety issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology