Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM

91 posts, read 196,223 times

Advertisements

Say there's a mass scale blackout or the governments decide to completely shut down the internet- as it happened with Egypt recently, only now it would be the world over. Like on a day to day basis. Could it bring on the apocalypse? Would the stock markets work? Or planes fly? Could someone get so depraved that they kill themselves? Can it happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
I had no problem living my life pre 'the internet' or pre 'the smart phone' or even pre 'the computer'. If the internet were to shut down, many older people would just fall back to what it use to be. If you're a young person, some might jump off a tall building or bridge.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:11 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Say there's a mass scale blackout or the governments decide to completely shut down the internet- as it happened with Egypt recently, only now it would be the world over. Like on a day to day basis. Could it bring on the apocalypse? Would the stock markets work? Or planes fly? Could someone get so depraved that they kill themselves? Can it happen?
Why would someone get depraved just because the entire Internet is in the toilet?

I really doubt it would bring on an apocalypse, certain aspects of life would temporarily be disrupted though...

Those of the bubble wrap generation would probably wander aimlessly in the streets that's for sure...

Old 08-09-2014, 07:39 PM

198 posts, read 184,528 times
Quote:
Unless the entire infrastructure gets fried by solar radiation or an EMP, I don't really think the governments of the world would totally shut down the internet. It is too useful a tool for the ruling parties to be without. I believe an enterprising group of techno-geeks would figure out how to hack into the government systems and restore everyones sanity...........

Old 08-09-2014, 07:52 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
There would be a lot of businesses overwhelmed with phone calls and face to face visits for which they are no longer staffed.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why would someone get depraved just because the entire Internet is in the toilet?

I really doubt it would bring on an apocalypse, certain aspects of life would temporarily be disrupted though...

Those of the bubble wrap generation would probably wander aimlessly in the streets that's for sure...
I disagree with this. I feel that it would bring on an apocalypse. So many businesses rely on the internet to conduct day to day activities. These businesses would be out of commission while the internet is down. You're talking about retail, financial, transportation, etc. There market would dramatically drop.

It would even disrupt supply chains which would result in distribution of foods, medical equipment and other goods being significantly disrupted. Communication will be very limited.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 PM

477 posts, read 801,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree with this. I feel that it would bring on an apocalypse. So many businesses rely on the internet to conduct day to day activities. These businesses would be out of commission while the internet is down. You're talking about retail, financial, transportation, etc. There market would dramatically drop.

It would even disrupt supply chains which would result in distribution of foods, medical equipment and other goods being significantly disrupted. Communication will be very limited.
I agree, but more with transportation. A lot of trains work via computer. If there's no computer to tell them to stop/start/where to go there will be a big problem. I agree with another poster who said IF the internet were to go down on a wide scale it would be due to energy. Like let's say the USA said "No more internet". They can't turn it off for everyone in every country. Same for other countries. I really doubt a country can even do it to their own citizens 100%. I remember reading somewhere that the people in China have ways to get around the blocks put in place.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

One must distinguish between the internet and everything else in life.

If the internet went dark, the stock market would still function. Your could still make telephone calls on your smart phone, not to mention your land line. You could still pump gas and the lights would still work.

Sure, internet based commerce would be dead. No Amazon, No on line bill paying.

Basic services would still be available. and life would go on.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
One must distinguish between the internet and everything else in life.

If the internet went dark, the stock market would still function. Your could still make telephone calls on your smart phone, not to mention your land line. You could still pump gas and the lights would still work.

Sure, internet based commerce would be dead. No Amazon, No on line bill paying.

Basic services would still be available. and life would go on.
One must understand what they are talking about.

The stock market would probably function, but it would crash. You cannot make calls on your smartphone or even a landline in most cases if the internet were to go down. Most of these have been converted to VOIP. Gas pumps would still work, if there is actually gas delivered. You would only be able to pay by cash unless the attendants are willing to do manual credit card transactions.

You have to keep in mind that the infrastructure of the past no longer exists in many areas. Changing phone systems from VOIP to switching won't be as simple as a flip of a switch. Those switches no longer exist.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,994,095 times
Quote:
It was already supposed to happen....remember Y2K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology