Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:28 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,521,126 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
The main thing is how computers are getting smaller and smaller with wearable tech and the coming virtual reality like the Sony glasses for the PlayStation.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 PM

41 posts, read 38,226 times
I think 3D printers are mind-boggling.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,007 times
What technologies make you feel like you are living in the future?

Well, after 60 years of useless TV, my Roku is pretty cool. And I was six before we had our first TV.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post

Well, after 60 years of useless TV, my Roku is pretty cool. And I was six before we had our first TV.
I wonder how much longer we will have TV? With virtual reality coming will that mean the end of TV in the 2020's? I have no idea but its interesting to think about.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Define "future."

Frankly, I am not impressed by this "future," and technology doesn't make me feel like I'm living in an advanced civilization when idiots are still going around cutting off heads, politicians are behaving like politicians have since the days of Babylon, and we still haven't figured a simple and cost effective way out of the gravity well.

In many ways, this era has more in common with the 1800s and earlier, while the late 1960s and early 1970s held hope for far greater things. Sure some people have phones turning them into trackable androids in the service of employers, but slave collars had the same effect and were cheaper. Instant access to inane conversations with friends who know more about sports and fashion than history does not impress me as "futuristic."

Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM

338 posts, read 421,509 times
Quote:
"With virtual reality coming"
Already came and went. Think back to approximately 1993-1995.

Quote:
"In many ways, this era has more in common with the 1800s and earlier, while the late 1960s and early 1970s held hope for far greater things. Sure some people have PDAs turning them into trackable androids in the service of employers, but slave collars had the same effect and were cheaper. Instant access to inane conversations with friends who know more about sports and fashion than history does not impress me as 'futuristic.'"
^-- This. Even the '80s seemed more hopeful.

The progression of the current "future" and its technology will bring with it the regression of humanity.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

90 posts, read 128,875 times
They just installed a retinal scan device where I work. Prior to this I had only seen them in sci-fi movies, the most memorable scene being in "Demolition Man" where Wesley Snipes' character holds-aloft the removed eye from some guy so he can gain entry. Yuck!
Also, this scan machine at my work has a female British accent, that asks you to either step closer of further away to get the optimum scan, and then thanks you and tells you that you have been authorized. Seems to me I recall sci-fi movies also having British accents in some of their devices as well!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
When my car automatically drives me home from work when there's bumper to bumper traffic and I just relax and get a massage.
Wifi everywhere is pretty amazing, too.

What I think is stupid is that I had to drive to a meeting today - 45 min each way for a 45 min meeting...in 2014, we DO have the tech and SHOULD USE IT to video conference as much as possible.
But people are so slow on the pickup with this crap.
Thank god for the massage.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I wonder how much longer we will have TV? With virtual reality coming will that mean the end of TV in the 2020's? I have no idea but its interesting to think about.
I'm glad to see the advent of the (insert manufacturer here) cell phone/wrist watch technology. Once it gets started it's going to grow phenomenally. I used to read Dick Tracy comics when I was a kid. About ten years ago I realized we could approach that and announced at work that it would happen.

It will be the future when a hologram pops out of that watch and stan4 can have his face to face conference call. And the hat Tracy wore will be a solar power supply/storage/dish. The dish may not be necessary by then... with ubiquitous wifi - a human right. Upgraded and improved of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology