Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 PM

723 posts, read 806,237 times

Advertisements

Are we human beings responsible for Global Warming or does mother nature take care herself ( on climate issues ) regardless of our actions ?
I mean there have being ice age then hot deserts in the history of our planet without human being getting involved in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
NFN but hasn't this topic been beaten to death in the last couple of months here?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
From Discussions before, Global warming issue seems political, CNN (liberal news) scream global warming, GOP sites like fox say there is no data to prove anything.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
NFN but hasn't this topic been beaten to death in the last couple of months here?
Over the entire internet this topic has been beaten to death for over ten years that I know about. But ya have to keep slugging it out. Otherwise the AGW crazies will shut down society with their schemes.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
"Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires & oil companies."
Scott Westerfeld

"In its simplest form, the argument for anthropogenic climate change goes as follows.

1. The Earth's atmosphere keeps the planet much warmer than it would be without an atmosphere.

2. The main gases which contribute to this are carbon dioxide, methane and water vapor.

3. Collectively these are called greenhouse gases.
The ability of these gases to act as greenhouse gases can be shown in a laboratory.

4. The quantity of these greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has increased sharply since the Industrial Revolution, and their concentration continues to do so.

5.The concentration of these gases has increased as a consequence of human activity.

6. The temperature of Earth's atmosphere has been increasing and continues to increase.

7. The increase in global temperature correlates with the increases of greenhouse gases.

8. The increase in temperature has been caused by the increase in greenhouse gases."

Rationalwiki's global warming portal contains cited arguments on every rebuttal that can be made, so no matter what response you come up with, you can go there, find the appropriate section and see scientific studies showing the evidence.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_warming

Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Global Warming

If you still name it this way, you are behind the times.
Correctly stated (aka PC), it is now called Climate Change !

So ... , whichever way it goes, you are correct !

Nuff sed

Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Are we human beings responsible for Global Warming or does mother nature take care herself ( on climate issues ) regardless of our actions ?
I mean there have being ice age then hot deserts in the history of our planet without human being getting involved in the process.
No, I don't believe in man made Global Warming, partly for the reasons you state. Here is what a former Green Party member from the UK learned about man made Global Warming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRyZevAYPU

Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
"Belief" is a religious concept. This is the SCIENCE forum.

What you or I believe is irrelevant. I could believe in a giant green rabbit that poops humans from the sky and live perfectly happily. It would make no difference to what actually does happen (giant RED rabbits poop humans from the sky).

Is what you want to discuss an intent to get me emotionally involved or to change my belief systems? If so, it has no place here.

1. I don't affect the weather or climate in any meaningful way.
2. I do not have influence with anyone who might in my wildest dreams be able to do so.
3. I have no influence on governments in India or China or any other purported contributors to such stuff.
4. I expect to die long before humanity becomes crispy critters.

Whatever I believe, it ain't my problem, it is irrelevant to my life, and I don't need another religion.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
It is a political question, not a scientific one.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
If you want to educate yourself on the climate change debate, please watch the videos at the following link at your leisure:

PSA: Science Journalist Outlines the Climate Debate - Democratic Underground

They are made by a journalist who covered the science debate over climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology