Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 AM

576 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get my television, tied into my internet connection with no success.

I don't know if it's a Smart TV, but I do have the tiles for Netflix, etc., which is precisely why I want to do this.

I can't locate my owner's manual, but I know it's a Panasonic Viera purchased maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Admittedly, technology and me, do not get along. I'm not tech savvy, at all. I had my grown daughters try to do it, and it recognizes an internet connection but then says "failed to connect to internet".

Is this something that maybe if I know a teen somewhere that is tech savvy, it should be easily solved?

It seems like something that should be so easy, and we're just missing something simple here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
It would be helpful to know the model number of the tv. Can you post that? Shouldn't be too hard to get you what you want.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
It would be helpful to know the model number of the tv. Can you post that? Shouldn't be too hard to get you what you want.
Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model #TCP50X3

I did locate the owner's manual via going onto Google, and downloaded the PDF.

But it looks like the instructions to do so, is precisely what was done yesterday by my daughters, to no avail.

Should I have purchased some kind of an adapter that plugs into the USB Port?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 AM
TKO

Maybe the router is too far away? Try or have someone else try, on a temporary basis, to use a network cable instead of wireless.

Another, maybe easier option, is to get one of those dongles you plug into your tv.

Regardless, it doesn't seem like it's a major issue. Someone local that's tech savvy should be able to figure it out. Your tv shouldn't need anything else.

Last edited by TKO; 01-10-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Maybe the router is too far away? Try or have someone else try, on a temporary basis, to use a network cable instead of wireless.

Another, maybe easier option, is to get one of those dongles you plug into your tv.

Regardless, it doesn't seem like it's a major issue. Someone local that's tech savvy should be able to figure it out. Your tv shouldn't need anything else.

Beats anything I've ever experienced. I just got *disconnected* from a long troubleshooting session with the Panasonic folks (on purpose, who knows?).

But she walked me thru some steps, and there is a "connection test" as part of the process. It cks off on the first box, which reads "Check Ethernet cable connection". That one checks off. Then the next one in that process, is "Acquire IP address from router", and that one I get a red "x".

She had me change some code in the DNS settings, and then try it again, .. and same result. Then suddenly the chat session "disconnected".

Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Beats anything I've ever experienced. I just got *disconnected* from a long troubleshooting session with the Panasonic folks (on purpose, who knows?).

But she walked me thru some steps, and there is a "connection test" as part of the process. It cks off on the first box, which reads "Check Ethernet cable connection". That one checks off. Then the next one in that process, is "Acquire IP address from router", and that one I get a red "x".

She had me change some code in the DNS settings, and then try it again, .. and same result. Then suddenly the chat session "disconnected".
Did you add your wifi password to it?

Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
There's quite a lot of info on the internet on this. I was looking into it myself, but found out that it really depends on the video card that's in your computer. Even if it's compatible to export it to the TV, it seems that the resolution may be low, giving you a small picture on your large TV. There seems to have been a lot of people who bought inexpensive cables, adapters, and converters on eBait in the hope of making this work, only to find out that they had to upgrade to an expensive video card in their computer.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM

I finally got it to work, by going to a local tech store and purchasing a USB wi-fi adapter and plugging it directly into the tv's USB port.

Nothing I could do to get it to work, via the ethernet cable, still don't know why it wouldn't work. I even took the ethernet cable and had it tested (would've purchased a new one if necessary) to see if maybe the cord was bad. Nope, cord was functional.

The message I kept getting was that the TV was unable to acquire the IP address.

So I just purchased the USB wi-fi adapter, I think it was a little more than $40. It works now, as far as picking up internet connection. HOORAY! But, how frustrating. Spent a countless amount of time, just trying to do it via the ethernet cable, all to no avail. Weird.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:52 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
I finally got it to work, by going to a local tech store and purchasing a USB wi-fi adapter and plugging it directly into the tv's USB port.

Nothing I could do to get it to work, via the ethernet cable, still don't know why it wouldn't work. I even took the ethernet cable and had it tested (would've purchased a new one if necessary) to see if maybe the cord was bad. Nope, cord was functional.

The message I kept getting was that the TV was unable to acquire the IP address.

So I just purchased the USB wi-fi adapter, I think it was a little more than $40. It works now, as far as picking up internet connection. HOORAY! But, how frustrating. Spent a countless amount of time, just trying to do it via the ethernet cable, all to no avail. Weird.
Some devices don't work well with certain routers. I remember when Roku came out and I had a new Motorola Surfboard modem/router that it just would not ever work with. I had issues with other devices and found that changing the mac address to match the Modems mac address solved that issue. I couldn't do that with the Roku so I had to send it back.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM
TKO

I'm happy you figured it out fairly painlessly. The gadgets are all wonderful but when they don't work quite right it can be hard to figure out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology