Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 PM

209 posts, read 313,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just wondering of the major devices available, ie:

1. Desktops.

2. Laptops

3. Smartphones

4. Basic Phones

5. Tablets

6. Misc devices such as Kindles, etc

Are there any of you who have used a particular category of device, but no longer do? If so, why?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
I have a tablet. And for the first few months it was cool, however, I found myself using it just because I had bought it. I didn't really need it. It now sits in my drawer and I haven't used it for about 6 months.

I also bought a smart watch. It was cool. I liked it. However, as with the tablet I was using it just because I spent money on it and I didn't like that I had to charge it, even if it was every other day or so. I was able to return that though.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
I used to use a Kindle.

Now I read ebooks on my laptop or iPhone.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I used to use a Kindle.

Now I read ebooks on my laptop or iPhone.

Kind of the same for me. I have a kindle and I still keep it up to date with books I am reading. However, unless I am on a long trip I mainly use my phone.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
no longer use laptops or tablets.. a large enough smartphone will give me the functionality I need of both of these items. Also, since I had a kindle paperwhite die with very little use I no longer buy kindles.. the little reading I do, I just use the app on my smartphone.

I use a desktop because I can fit more power into the case and use better keyboards, larger monitors, etc.. so it's desktop systems and smartphones for me.

Rooted Nexus 6 with a custom rom and an overclocked 2600K system from 2011 that's still going strong. Processing power has stagnated the last 5 years or so, no huge leaps at the desktop level... improvements in the mobile level yes, to reduce heat and power usage, but not at the top end, desktop level. Moore's law as we reach under 10 nm is reaching it's limits of what can be done with silicon.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:04 AM

119 posts, read 344,087 times
I got sucked in and had 5 devices at one point. I just sold my Android tablet and Ipad 3 to a pawn shop (got low balled of course). They are fun when you first get them, but they were too slow to keep up with all the streaming video ads and flash content of today's internet.

Currently I use my laptop for more serious stuff like work. I used my Dell tablet running windows 10 for internet, gaming and watching movies and vids and for anything that works better with Google/Droid I use my phone.

I was surprised about how many people got caught into the "smart watch" because there are $40 dollar basic smartphones that can do everything that watch can do and more.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I got sucked in and had 5 devices at one point. I just sold my Android tablet and Ipad 3 to a pawn shop (got low balled of course). They are fun when you first get them, but they were too slow to keep up with all the streaming video ads and flash content of today's internet.

Currently I use my laptop for more serious stuff like work. I used my Dell tablet running windows 10 for internet, gaming and watching movies and vids and for anything that works better with Google/Droid I use my phone.

I was surprised about how many people got caught into the "smart watch" because there are $40 dollar basic smartphones that can do everything that watch can do and more.
Can you wear that $40 smart phone on your wrist? Probably not. Wearing a wrist watch, in general, is definitely not a fad. It's been going on since the late 1800's. Coupling a wrist watch to interact with your smartphone and do things like answer calls, read texts and notifications, that's pretty impressive IMO. In fact, I think it's kind of a step backward having to dig your phone out of your pocket just so you can see what the time is. And not only that, they make some very impressive, fancy looking dress watches that are smart.

That being said, I still use a tablet. In fact, my iPad is used more at my house than my other computers combined. It's been money well worth the cost. Never have had a problem with my iPad being slow with video. It's using the same wireless that my other devices in my house are using. Never have had a problem with it not playing a video on YouTube, or Netflix. Love the fact that I can go outside, enjoy the fresh air, sit under a tree and still be able to watch a TV show or movie or answer email or even VPN into other computers and do my work from the iPad.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM

119 posts, read 344,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Can you wear that $40 smart phone on your wrist? Probably not. Wearing a wrist watch, in general, is definitely not a fad. It's been going on since the late 1800's. Coupling a wrist watch to interact with your smartphone and do things like answer calls, read texts and notifications, that's pretty impressive IMO. In fact, I think it's kind of a step backward having to dig your phone out of your pocket just so you can see what the time is. And not only that, they make some very impressive, fancy looking dress watches that are smart.

That being said, I still use a tablet. In fact, my iPad is used more at my house than my other computers combined. It's been money well worth the cost. Never have had a problem with my iPad being slow with video. It's using the same wireless that my other devices in my house are using. Never have had a problem with it not playing a video on YouTube, or Netflix. Love the fact that I can go outside, enjoy the fresh air, sit under a tree and still be able to watch a TV show or movie or answer email or even VPN into other computers and do my work from the iPad.
I did not say wearing a watch was a fad. I still wear watches but if I pay $300 for one it is gonna have a name brand and some bling to it. I don't think pulling out my phone, my LG G5 to check the time is backwards either. I did not know you can answer calls with those watches but I still won't be buying one anyway. The IPAD is okay. It does lag compared to my Dell Venue Pro but glad to hear that your experience is great with yours. I have headr that the pro edition is similar to a MAC but the price is out of my budget for now.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:05 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I did not say wearing a watch was a fad. I still wear watches but if I pay $300 for one it is gonna have a name brand and some bling to it. I don't think pulling out my phone, my LG G5 to check the time is backwards either. I did not know you can answer calls with those watches but I still won't be buying one anyway. The IPAD is okay. It does lag compared to my Dell Venue Pro but glad to hear that your experience is great with yours. I have headr that the pro edition is similar to a MAC but the price is out of my budget for now.
I know you didn't say wearing a watch in itself is a fad. I'm just mentioning how long people have been wearing wrist watches to point out that having a smart watch isn't a technological fad in my opinion. I actually think it's a wonderful idea, and I would not doubt if in the very near future, it will come down to you having a choice between a smartphone or a smartwatch that can also double as your standalone phone (probably already have them as we speak). I would go for that in a heartbeat. I hate having to keep up with a phone in my pocket. The only downfall would be trying to keep the conversations private, but other than that, I would more than happy just having a watch as my main phone, portal computer, GPS, watch, etc...

Speaking of bling:

As for the iPads, as a techie, I am always interested in finding out how much I can truly do with a tablet. Many think they're just good for surfing the web, watching video, and checking email, but they can do so much more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology