Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times

Advertisements

My father passed away and I saved a few of his really great voice mails. I want to transfer them to something more permanent. Any suggestions?
I do, however, like to hear his encouraging voice on my saved messages occasionally, so is there any way to keep them on voice mail too? It's convenient to hear him on the phone, and very comforting. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Assuming the phone company has no way of accessing them accept on the phone itself.

If you have a phone with a headset jack try plugging a 3.5 cable with two male ends into the phone and AUX or MIC jack on your computer. Use Audacity to record.

Audacity®

If you don't have headset jack they have [hone recording adapaters, same thing here Plug the 3.5 cable into the AUX port on your computer. .

RJ11 Telephone to 3.5mm Mini Jack Conversation Record Recording Line out Adapter - Other

Old 09-29-2016, 06:38 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I think TheCoalMan is overthinking here. I helped a friend do this for exactly the same reason. Her dad died.

We simply:

- Found a quiet room
- Plugged a simple PC microphone that I already had into a PC
- Used the free Audactiy program TheCoalMan mention and got ready to record
- Dialed her voicemail and put it on speaker phone
- Hit record after the voice prompts

Couldn't be easier and the quality sounds great. Last step:

- Burned to CD's

Old 10-13-2016, 10:25 AM

65 posts, read 64,467 times
Not to disagree with Peregrine, but the reason TheCoalMan suggested plugging in a 3.5 cable from the phone to the computer was to eliminate any background noise. While you could use the speaker phone and record with a microphone, the microphone could pick up any potential unwanted noise.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
My father passed away and I saved a few of his really great voice mails. I want to transfer them to something more permanent. Any suggestions?
I do, however, like to hear his encouraging voice on my saved messages occasionally, so is there any way to keep them on voice mail too? It's convenient to hear him on the phone, and very comforting. Thanks!
I have done this with a voicemail from a deceased relative. What I did was use a program called iMazing for the iPhone.

It allowed me to copy the voicemails that are saved on the phone and save them as files. Check it out, it's pretty easy to use.

You can use it to copy or backup files from the iPhone.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:22 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmike View Post
Not to disagree with Peregrine, but the reason TheCoalMan suggested plugging in a 3.5 cable from the phone to the computer was to eliminate any background noise. While you could use the speaker phone and record with a microphone, the microphone could pick up any potential unwanted noise.
This is what I was going to say.

You could go the simple route by just using a mic, or you could plug it in to a computer directly and eliminate noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology