Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

With all the innovations out there in technology, WHY hasn't there ever been a successful device to stop dogs barking? Since their hearing is at a higher level, what about a screeching unpleasant noise imperceptible to humans? Somebody could make gazillions!

I've bought a couple devices advertised to do this, didn't work at all.

There must be something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 03:01 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
It's natural for dogs to bark. Can you imagine silencing or stopping a human being from talking? The principle remains the same for a dog, although some people have vets altering their dog's vocal cords to keep them quiet. I instead would spend the money on a good dog trainer to teach the dog not to bark. I can only assume that your neighbor dogs are driving you insane, eh

If that's the case, then I don't know what you can do. It's difficult to put up with that noise.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
With all the innovations out there in technology, WHY hasn't there ever been a successful device to stop dogs barking? Since their hearing is at a higher level, what about a screeching unpleasant noise imperceptible to humans? Somebody could make gazillions!

I've bought a couple devices advertised to do this, didn't work at all.

There must be something

I would gladly pay several hundred dollars for such a device. One thing you can do is get some good, external computer speakers with a built-in amp to hang out the window. There are numerous YouTube videos with high-pitch sounds that dogs hate.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
My dogs bark for a reason, to let me know someone is outside, unfortunately they bark whenever they see the neighbors and the ones in the back are constantly outside or have visitors. I let them back during the day since they are not out all day long. At night and in the morning when I let them out to pee and poo they usually know not to bark, and I remind them. When we go on out walks they usually don't bark either.

My dogs are good watch dogs but they are Little guys and I lice when they bark to let me know something might be wrong. they are both rescues from the pound and the second one I got did not bark for 2 weeks after I got him, he would make a coughing sound instead, he must have been hit when he barked so he stopped doing it. Even when the other one barked he wouldn't until he understood that I would not hit him if he barked.

They are both loving dogs, but the one who was abused really loves me like crazy.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I would gladly pay several hundred dollars for such a device. One thing you can do is get some good, external computer speakers with a built-in amp to hang out the window. There are numerous YouTube videos with high-pitch sounds that dogs hate.
I was ready to do this before we moved. Another month of the jerk neighbor letting his non-stop barking mutt out at 5:00 am and it was going to be me putting speakers out and running them all night. If I can't sleep, you can't sleep.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,809,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I was ready to do this before we moved. Another month of the jerk neighbor letting his non-stop barking mutt out at 5:00 am and it was going to be me putting speakers out and running them all night. If I can't sleep, you can't sleep.
To be fair, it was 5am. Not 2am. Most areas have noise ordinances.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
They make bark collars if you need to keep your dog quiet, you can set it to low so it doesn't hurt the dog and just makes it uncomfortable, once they learn you can put a regular collar and it should be fine or put the regular one on him again, but if you want a watch dog don't do it.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
To be fair, it was 5am. Not 2am. Most areas have noise ordinances.
At 5am I don't give a damn about 2am or noise ordinances. It tickles me no end to know that the jerk that was doing this was a lawyer. The entire neighborhood hated him.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:02 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I did some googling when I stumbled upon this thread and came across this...

"For me the commercial bark sensor/ultrasonic dog thing didn't work either. Then I got some Piezo tweeters connected them to a old stereo amp and used a MP3 sound file of a high frequency tone comming out of a old MP3 player. I cranked it to full volume. This made the barking dog run into it's garage and he stays quiet for about an hour. I turn it on only long enough to send him running which is only about a second. I have a ON button run to my kitchen window. I think this is probably many times louder than that automatic thing you can buy that has poor results."

I'm seeing mixed results after more digging... will see what I come across. I'm sure if something worked really well it would be well known by now...

Last edited by sholomar; 12-30-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 10:39 PM

36 posts, read 26,152 times
Quote:
At 5am I don't give a damn about 2am or noise ordinances. It tickles me no end to know that the jerk that was doing this was a lawyer. The entire neighborhood hated him.
Perhaps neighbors that close aren't a good fit for you. This is probably true whether an individual has a respectable profession, such as being a lawyer, or not.

Dogs bark to communicate. Just as RayinAK said, it's natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology