Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM

661 posts, read 521,749 times

Advertisements

Do you think now and the future, living with technology and the rapid progress of super-advanced tech is utopian or dystopian?

I think it's more dystopian and will only get worse that way. Well, even I say this as most people my own age embrace all our new advanced technologies. Tech (especially more super and advanced) is highly disruptive and society cannot compete with it. It seems that technological innovation is outpacing every other single dimension in our society.

I remember when I used to watch video on a VCR (yes, I kind of was the later part of the generation to remember those old days) and people thought the quality was inferior, so they switched to DVD, Blu-Ray, now online streaming. The future of tangible ownership in our economy looks Orwellian almost.

Back in 1995, computer specs were a lot slower than today. The advances are impressive but really depressing at the same time.

I hope that it's more than 20 years off before we have to worry about anything *really* big. I don't think I can "make it" in my world in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
The future of tangible ownership...
Some people think the very idea of "owning" anything will disappear.

In the future you will own nothing and have access to everything

Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Neither. Orthogonal to the utopian/ dystonian axis.

It does improve productivity in many dimensions which offers the possibility of making things better. But of course we can screw it up...and may...

Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Technology is a tool, it's use determines if it will be used to create a utopian or dystopian future.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,062 times
It can be either. My feel is that it is dystopian b/c technology is supposed to improve our lives by taking over hard work and allowing us more leisure time. It does bring efficiency and more leisure time to those that can afford to use it. If you're made obsolete by technology you free time is a struggle to exist and certainly not leisurely.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 AM

661 posts, read 521,749 times
I am also referring to exponential software and automation making life and work more "boring" doesn't anyone agree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology