Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

Not sure where this should go, but I'll try here. Please move it if inappropriate.

I may have got this all wrong, but I seem to remember a few years ago that there was reported a huge crack in the ice at Antarctica which was threatening to leave McMurdo Station stranded on the wrong side of the crack.

As I recall, this crack meant that the station had to be picked up and moved quite a distance to the other side of the crack(the side which was not going to float off into the sea).

I know there currently IS a huge crack in the ice at Antarctica, but it is the other aspects which I have somehow missed. I am interested to know what happened about this and whether the station was moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:56 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
The Wikipedia article on McMurdo sound mentions Iceberg B-15A clogging it up and blocking cargo ship access. Is that what you mean? The station is built on volcanic rock and it can be reached by air, so I don't think it'll get completely cut off, at least not during the summer months.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 AM

Thats not what I meant. I seem to remember reading that the station would get stranded by the crack which was enlarging and threatening to place it the 'wrong side' of the crack (on the ice flow). As I said, I might be totally wrong on this, as I have already done a search and there does not appear to be any information like that... so I guess I am wrong in my remembering.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Thats not what I meant. I seem to remember reading that the station would get stranded by the crack which was enlarging and threatening to place it the 'wrong side' of the crack (on the ice flow). As I said, I might be totally wrong on this, as I have already done a search and there does not appear to be any information like that... so I guess I am wrong in my remembering.
I too thought I had read something some time back about McMurdo having to be relocated, but I can't find anything about it now. My memory could be playing tricks. However, the Halley VI Research Station may have to be relocated because of some growing cracks in the Brunt ice shelf.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-eyes-...rctic-station/

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I too thought I had read something some time back about McMurdo having to be relocated, but I can't find anything about it now. My memory could be playing tricks.
If we were on a different forum I would start to discuss The Mandela Effect, but that may not go down very well here.

I just wanted to check if anyone else remembered seeing or remembering anything similar, so thank you for this comment.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Maybe you were thinking of the Halley Research Station?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley...ion#Relocation

Old 07-18-2019, 12:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
McMurdo is built over dry land. The air strip they use is on the ice. A crack would not affect McMurdo itself but would affect the air operations. I spent two summers (Jan/Dec) there in 90 and 91.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
I am interested to know what happened about this and whether the station was moved?
As 2x4 mentioned Mactown is built on terra firma, I was there back in 2011. Actually there are some ambitious plans to update and overhaul the station over a 10-year period, but like everything else it comes down to money. Check out this NSF video on what they want to do, of course if you have been there it would make more sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSxXRKBGUI

Modernization of NSF’s logistics hub in Antarctica ready to move forward

Antarctica’s Aging McMurdo Station is Getting a Major Overhaul

Construction Set to Begin on Primary IT&C Facility in McMurdo

McMurdo Webcams

Old 07-22-2019, 11:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I remember the images of the Halley VI pods now. Thanks for resolving that Bo Sox 15.

There does not appear to be any up-to-date information on this as the last article from the website was posted a couple of years ago.

Anyway, for those who want to know more these are the links I found now that I realise it was the Halley VI station.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology