Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, modern science often requires expensive laboratories, so it usually requires significant funding to create science "colonies". The ones that come to mind for me are DARPA, Bell Labs, Skunk Works, CERN, JPL, LLNL, and Los Alamos. In older days various science societies probably served a similar purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Become a nuclear engineer aboard a sub and you've got your wish.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Become a nuclear engineer aboard a sub and you've got your wish.
Do you REALLY think the Navy is going to let a powerplant engineer aboard a sub play around with scientific investigations on the vessel? I think you've got a strange idea of what life in the Navy is like.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Do you REALLY think the Navy is going to let a powerplant engineer aboard a sub play around with scientific investigations on the vessel? I think you've got a strange idea of what life in the Navy is like.
Visions of YMCA next to a nuke powerplant are now dancing in my head. Thanks a lot!

Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our local PBS station just featured the artist Macdowell Colony in New Hampshire and so I wondered if there is a science equivalent to something like it? The Macdowell Colony provides a fellowship to hundreds of artists each year to spend a month or two in one of their cabins free of charge. All meals provided and nothing to do but clear your mind and create.

I've heard of artists colonies before, but never heard of a science equivalent where scientists could go off in the woods and just think. Just wondered if there was such a thing.
That would be really cool if there was. Up until just the last 30-40 years scientists were held in high regard in society and many were employed at the DOE DARPA etc. Now these institutions are shells of their original selves, they still have the household name but when you really start digging you will find that these places employ a very small fraction of the scientists/engineers/mathematicians that they used to and the funding has been drastically cut.

Basicly what you are talking about is silicon valley 30-40 years ago. If you find this place of scientists working a group in garages in a relatively similar area let me know. Once they all become billionaires its kind of over for any newcomer, you have to find like-minded people who are also starting up and build those relationships.

I am working on it now in Alaska but its really really slow because there are not many scientists around.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:34 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You would have to build your own nuke reactor, there is tons of uranium laying around the mtns of colorado. You can enrich the uranium and build your own reactor using lasers. Once you can get a reaction going you can start converting depleted uranium to plutonium 239 and keep the party going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic...ope_separation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_laser

Navy is not going to let you do squat, they are a draconian hierarchical structure of control and hazing who have cool equipment built by contractors. Contractors build EVERYTHING the military uses and only a VERY tiny percentage of uniformed military actually have intimate knowledge and work on this stuff.

You pretty much have to be in dry dock to really start messing with the reactor.

IF you can mee these tiny tiny percentage of miltary people you can learn alot (aircraft mechanics, nuke reactor techs, especailly electronics techs). But they are rare, if they claim to be but start comming off as authoritarian they they arent. Some of the techs might be grouchy but thats alot different than authoritarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology