Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:09 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

With the movement toward software being rented rather than owned, forced automatic updates, and self-driving cars, we seem to be on the precipice of a dangerous descent into a form of Technocracy in which it is impossible to actually own anything or have rights, because you have signed away all your rights to your Techno-overlords and they can always change the terms unilaterally without your consent.

How can we get away from this as a society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 06:18 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Open source and a federated internet

Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Software really hasn't been owned (at least on the consumer level) since the late 70's.

That being said, you're well within your right to create software that you can own or purchase software outright (the latter of which would be extremely expensive).

Old 11-30-2020, 08:48 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Given that software has virtually zero replication cost, a licensing model with a remote verification mechanism is probably unavoidable due to software piracy. Otherwise there is no reliable means for the software producers to generate income for their labors. It should be made legally possible though to own and resell a license to use. Maybe there needs to be a time-out on licensing requirements, so that at some point it no longer requires a remote leash? That might use some sort of encryption escrow key that gets released at the license expiry.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:44 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
We can only get away from it as individuals, because larger society unfortunately appears to be irreversibly moving in that direction.

A few concepts will be important here:
1. If you do not own and control your technology, somebody else definitely does. Take, for example, the storage encryption built into botnet operating systems such as Windows, "Bitlocker". You get a copy of the key, but so does Microsoft, and by extension so do all of their partners. You have "encrypted" your hard drive, but since you have chosen to use encryption technology which is owned and controlled by the enemy they also get to have access too.

2. You must become technologically literate. That does not necessarily mean one needs to earn a degree in it, but at least have a working understanding of what your hardware and software is doing so that you stand a chance at modifying it when needed. Most people have only what I call "platform literacy", that is, they know how to use Mac or Windows or iOS etc but they crucially do not know how to actually use a computer.

3. Learn the power of opting out. If there is some new technology or platform which is obviously restrictive or abusive toward those who must use it, simply decline. Humanity lived just fine before the digital age, missing out on even just a single public opinion influencing machine that all your friends insist you, too, must join is much more freeing that one might suspect.

I truly have a lot to say on this subject matter but I am sure I have already lost most audience by line six or so.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Given that software has virtually zero replication cost, a licensing model with a remote verification mechanism is probably unavoidable due to software piracy. Otherwise there is no reliable means for the software producers to generate income for their labors. It should be made legally possible though to own and resell a license to use. Maybe there needs to be a time-out on licensing requirements, so that at some point it no longer requires a remote leash? That might use some sort of encryption escrow key that gets released at the license expiry.
Historically, many software companies have released software for free after some time. Microsoft did this with MS Dos, Windows 1, 2, and 3. They also released it as open source so people can modify the source code.

Also, it is already legal to own and resell a license.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
We can only get away from it as individuals, because larger society unfortunately appears to be irreversibly moving in that direction.

A few concepts will be important here:
1. If you do not own and control your technology, somebody else definitely does. Take, for example, the storage encryption built into botnet operating systems such as Windows, "Bitlocker". You get a copy of the key, but so does Microsoft, and by extension so do all of their partners. You have "encrypted" your hard drive, but since you have chosen to use encryption technology which is owned and controlled by the enemy they also get to have access too.

2. You must become technologically literate. That does not necessarily mean one needs to earn a degree in it, but at least have a working understanding of what your hardware and software is doing so that you stand a chance at modifying it when needed. Most people have only what I call "platform literacy", that is, they know how to use Mac or Windows or iOS etc but they crucially do not know how to actually use a computer.

3. Learn the power of opting out. If there is some new technology or platform which is obviously restrictive or abusive toward those who must use it, simply decline. Humanity lived just fine before the digital age, missing out on even just a single public opinion influencing machine that all your friends insist you, too, must join is much more freeing that one might suspect.

I truly have a lot to say on this subject matter but I am sure I have already lost most audience by line six or so.
These are some very interesting points. I have some questions/comments.

1. Do you have any additional information/links you can share about Microsoft getting a copy of your encryption keys? I've never heard of this. I know you have the option store it with them (for added recovery options), but it's just an option.

2. Technological literate to an extent, absolutely. Everyone is learning to code. Back in the 70's and 80's everyone was learning to type because that was the level of computer literacy required back then. Nowadays, coding is the new typing. Every position will just expect it just like they do typing. You don't have to be an expert in it, but you should know how to write basic code.

3. This is an interesting point, and I generally agree. There's also always alternatives. Find what works for you.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:49 PM

661 posts, read 521,158 times
Could society hypothetically reverse or halt it's technological direction by mutual consent?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Could society hypothetically reverse or halt it's technological direction by mutual consent?
No, there are too many incentives to defect from such a consensus, and it's too easy to conceal such defections from even a repressive police state.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:47 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
These are some very interesting points. I have some questions/comments.

1. Do you have any additional information/links you can share about Microsoft getting a copy of your encryption keys? I've never heard of this. I know you have the option store it with them (for added recovery options), but it's just an option.

2. Technological literate to an extent, absolutely. Everyone is learning to code. Back in the 70's and 80's everyone was learning to type because that was the level of computer literacy required back then. Nowadays, coding is the new typing. Every position will just expect it just like they do typing. You don't have to be an expert in it, but you should know how to write basic code.

3. This is an interesting point, and I generally agree. There's also always alternatives. Find what works for you.
The default configuration had been to phone home with keys. If I understand correctly, they have since implemented options regarding where to save the key on professional and enterprise releases. Of course this applies in instances where the user makes an effort to encrypt, whereas most will simply run with the encryption as it came with the device and on the Home edition, lacking the extra length of leash supplied by full Bitlocker functionality.

It looks like a lot of public schools have taken up some introductory to coding. This is good though I do wonder how much of it will translate into lasting knowledge. I know just how well I held on to the Spanish that was mandatory in my schooling, and it wasn't much. I maintain that attaining basic literacy in anything will always require some motive and investment. And so long as we have schools which are teaching digital dependence rather than independence, it will be one of the driving forces marching us toward OP's technocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology