Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 02:50 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

As strange as this might sound, I want to fill a perspex box with smoke, seal it up with tape, and keep it swirling around forever. Is that possible? Unfortunately I cannot say what I need it for apart from, its for an idea I have.

IIRC, when I looked at Brownian Motion when I was a kid, there was a small tube filled with smoke. You looked at this tube through a microscope. The smoke particles whizzed about bouncing off each other. There was never a need to shake it to get it moving as far as I can remember.

I am assuming some smoke just keeps swirling around and does not settle to the bottom of the container, so what smoke should I be looking for and what should I do to get it in the box?

I know you can get smoke machines, but I dont think these are really using smoke and probably emit white non-toxic particles which eventually fall onto the ground and disappear from the air.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I would do this please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 08:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
To answer the first question. It would not be possible. Eventually the smoke particles would settle out. In a weightless environment it would be theoretically possible. However, gravity would do its thing.

With looking at the particles under a microscope I would guess that the movement of the tube would create enough movement to cause the particles of smoke to move about.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:08 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
I agree with SD4020 about it not working.

In answer to your question of getting the smoke into the box just use a device like beekeepers do for smoking a hive. Just burn a bit of crumpled up paper for the smoke.

OR buy a cigar, puff and blow until you have the desired amount of smoke in the box.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:01 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Thanks for your input guys. So basically, each time I need to use this, I need to re-smoke it? Presumably some smoke particles are larger than others so I need the smallest smoke particles for them to last the longest before they settle out onto the sides of the box. Is there an alternative to smoke, because I need something white and swirly inside the box?

Old 06-06-2021, 02:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Search net for instructions on how to make a small / demo cloud chamber. Basically it's a glass enclosure. warmed up and the inside surface wipe down with alcohol. The whole thing is set on a block of dry ice. The super saturated air inside forms a cloud which due to thermal differences swirls around the container. We did it as an experiment in 9th grade science class

I just checked Utube...lots of examples....

Last edited by JBrown; 06-06-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 11:19 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
To stay permanently suspended in a liquid, particles need to be a micrometer or smaller. For gas suspension, you'll need to use nanoparticles. But these can be unhealthy if inhaled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology