Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 05:29 PM

89 posts, read 70,507 times

Advertisements

Why can't all the carriers just refuse to sell lines to scammers? Or is it not that easy? I get calls from towns that I know the call is not coming from. All day long. Where are they getting my number from? Do I have to go completely dark and buy everything with cash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 06:29 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
That won't work because a lot of robocalls just dial every possible number: 111-111-1111, 111-111-1112, etc. The FCC has been cracking down on robocallers, but at a glacial pace. I have been getting fewer calls that last few months, however.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:39 AM

89 posts, read 70,507 times
I seem to be getting live calls of people selling insurance, police KIA family beggars, investment consultants etc.. Could that be random robo calls, or is it vendors I've used who gave or sold my number?

Old 02-01-2023, 09:30 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Your number might be sold, but probably just random robo dialers going through numbers looking for a hit.

Read the Bible. Somewhere it says "Y'all can say anything to telemarketers y'all care to."

Old 02-01-2023, 05:43 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The majority of national governments (around 160) require mandatory SIM-card registration, which means you need your real name and personal details to sign up for phone service. And over 30 of these countries also require biometrics, e.g. your fingerprints or a facial scan.
That greatly eliminated scammers, harassers, advertisers, solicitors, blackmailers, thugs etc.

Robocallers in the EU get meaningful fines. European telecoms providers proactively identify and block robocallers. VOIP companies that do business with robocallers lose the right to connect to the telephone network.
Turns out - there is virtually no downside to making spam calls in the US, and so companies continue to do it
It's not an insurmountable problem, you just need regulators that give a damn.

I barely ever get scam calls when I live overseas. Perhaps one or two in ...decades?
I get very few robo calls on my T-Mobile in the US, though.

Here to see what countries require SIM registrations.
https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...stration-laws/

Last edited by elnina; 02-01-2023 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 07:48 AM

70 posts, read 51,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The majority of national governments (around 160) require mandatory SIM-card registration, which means you need your real name and personal details to sign up for phone service. And over 30 of these countries also require biometrics, e.g. your fingerprints or a facial scan.
That greatly eliminated scammers, harassers, advertisers, solicitors, blackmailers, thugs etc.

Robocallers in the EU get meaningful fines. European telecoms providers proactively identify and block robocallers. VOIP companies that do business with robocallers lose the right to connect to the telephone network.
Turns out - there is virtually no downside to making spam calls in the US, and so companies continue to do it
It's not an insurmountable problem, you just need regulators that give a damn.

I barely ever get scam calls when I live overseas. Perhaps one or two in ...decades?
I get very few robo calls on my T-Mobile in the US, though.

Here to see what countries require SIM registrations.
https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn...stration-laws/
Thank you for sharing this article. I was talking to my wife several times about moving to Europe once we retire, and this has probably sealed the deal. The final check will be if the country we pick is marked red on this map. I am not even kidding.

Old 02-26-2023, 12:34 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
I get them all day long somedays its like every 5 min. If your not in my address book I dont answer it. Some times if I am bored I will answer it but its dead air and then they hang up. Whats the purpose of that. Lately its been solar panel sales. Also if I do answer and its a female, it can be fun. I will start asking her what color panties is she wearing and it goes on from there and they hang up.

Old 02-26-2023, 01:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Sign up (free for the short version) with Hiya. (https://www.hiya.com/products/app)
This APP intercepts ALL calls, compares them with my personal phone list on my phone and then , if it does NOT match, sends a text back to the caller asking for a name and phone number. I got two in the last three years and they were from family members...
My phone, automatically adds a new record, IF I approve the new phone number with a name and other info as required...

So I still get scam calls, but I do not have to pay attention to them. The phone rings once and that is it. All I have to do is check my Text messages... Guess what..., scammers do not text back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology