Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2023, 09:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have a plan to build a hot tub out of a stock tank and was considering several ways to heat the water.
My fuel of choice is wood, plentiful here in Maine, and I can source it for free.
This brings me to how to get the heat from the burning wood to the water (in a safe and efficient manner), I've seen pretty much every way to do this on the YouTube, from building a fire directly under a galvanized stock tank , to building a fire inside a coil of copper tubing, some use a pump, some rely on a thermosyphon.
One method that I caught only an image on Pinterest has piqued my interest, is a small wood stove with a large pot of boiling water on top, inside the water was a coil of copper that I'm assuming went to the hot tub.
I like this idea because it keeps the coil out of the flames, avoiding problems like heavy soot build up, and damage to the copper from the direct flame.
Does this sound feasible? Do you think the water temp of 212F would transfer enough heat through the coil?
What about changing the coil to high temp silicone tubing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 01:38 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Highly inefficient. It is fairly easy to check out the BTU output of burners on stoves. That is the first limitation to how much can be transferred. Then there are the losses and insulative values in the materials used to get from stove to tub. Such a setup might keep a tub that is already hot from cooling off too quickly.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:10 AM

4,509 posts, read 2,651,635 times
It's almost certain that what you rig up will be far less efficient than something a commercial outfit has had actual engineers with expertise in burner design, heat transfer, etc. design.

Are you talking about using a galvanized steel tank for a hot tub? Sounds like a terrible idea, especially in a cool climate. Hot tubs work by having tons of insulation around the water so temperature swings are minimized.

You also need to set up a filtration and water treatment arrangement unless you want to have massive algae buildup and give yourself and your guests a variety of interesting and persistent skin diseases. (Not to mention Legionnaire's.)

Old 02-27-2023, 05:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's almost certain that what you rig up will be far less efficient than something a commercial outfit has had actual engineers with expertise in burner design, heat transfer, etc. design.

Are you talking about using a galvanized steel tank for a hot tub? Sounds like a terrible idea, especially in a cool climate. Hot tubs work by having tons of insulation around the water so temperature swings are minimized.

You also need to set up a filtration and water treatment arrangement unless you want to have massive algae buildup and give yourself and your guests a variety of interesting and persistent skin diseases. (Not to mention Legionnaire's.)
Either galvanized or plastic, haven't decided yet,. and yes I will add some type of insulation. as far as filtration most of these set ups are pretty small so a chlorine puck floater and regular water changes will surfiest.
This is not a new concept, people have been using stock tanks as hot tubs and small pools for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology