Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Unfortunately, why not propose science help out in figuring out how to create world peace rather than the next ingenius weapon idea. The proplem is science seems to have led the way to more horrific warfare. It's been used as more of a furthered cause than a solution. Manufacturing of a genetically engineered Kurt Russel's Soldier, Van Damme's Cyborg or Captain Picard's Locutus is hardly the answer. Our planet's environment can't take it anymore.

I completely agree with using science for peaceful solutions that are beneficial to everyone. And it is used for that purpose. But whether we like it or not, it's also used for less than peaceful means as well. Regardless, the OP was asking about genetic vs technological super soldiers.

I prefer to hold an optimistic view about the future. But I also realize that life isn't always as rosey as we'd like it to be. Still, even under the most difficult periods of time that we may go through, humanity has the ability to be able to find peaceful solutions and resolve problems and differences in ways that can be acceptable and work to benefit everyone. That's something that requires the collective or majority desire and will of human beings.

In the meantime, there are wars and other atrosities. Unfortunately, that also means solutions need to be found, if for no other reason than self-preservation. Admittedly, not all proposals or methods work at achieving global peace. One way of looking at it is that human beings will either continue to be placed in harm's way, or we can substitute high-tech machines to do it. There are pros and cons either way.

I don't know what the answer is because the problems are extremely complex. There are many factors involved. How do you eliminate starvation? How do you slow down over-population? How do you wipe out disease? Science is making an effort to try to help, but more often than not, reaching such break-throughs isn't always that easy to do and can be a very slow process. In the end, it still boils down to what human beings choose to do. But that doesn't mean that everyone agrees. Some people value human life. And some people don't.

What kind of solutions do you think should be considered? Would it be accepted globally? How long do you think it would take? What do you think people will do in the meantime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I guess most of ya'll have seen
Big Dog?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I guess most of ya'll have seen
Big Dog?

LOL! Good post. Yes, I've seen it. If I saw something like that lumbering after me, I'd be running for my life with a stain in my shorts . It's both very remarkable and very creepy at the same time.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 AM

I think it's amazing how it can keep its balance. I think the military is using them -- at least they said it was built for military use. They have some other critters. too.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I think it's amazing how it can keep its balance. I think the military is using them -- at least they said it was built for military use. They have some other critters. too.

The robotic pack mule can even keep itself from falling on ice and snow. It was built for military use, but I think it may also have some use for search and rescue, and police work. Wonder how well it would work on Mars? It's been tested at Fort Benning, but it may be a few years off before it sees any action. Kind of hard sneaking up on anyone when it sounds like a swarm of angry bees.

YouTube - Boston Dynamics Big Dog FtBenning Report Feb 2009

And we don't want to forget about Little Dog.

YouTube - LittleDog Robot

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 PM

245 posts, read 765,362 times
Who knows, maybe both. Perhaps an onboard nanotech medical virus to keep an injured soldier alive in the short term while directing the body's own stem cells to make long term repairs. Battlebots, on the other hand, would seem to be more practical in the immediate future. The current limitations probably deal with power source duration, AI software, and coming up with some sort of telepresence control system that would be difficult to jam. I remember a B-movie from the 80's called Runaway that featured swarms of killer robotic insects. Very creepy...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's pretty impressive Brian. Thanks for posting that. I partially retract what I said. It's great to see this kind of development, although it kind of sounded like it's still rather experimental, or at least not yet widely available. And I don't know if it falls into the kind of genetic enhancement category the OP was getting at. Regardless, this sort of thing is what can provide a lot of hope for people in need.

I know there has been advances in stem cell research. Hawaiian singer Don Ho, who suffered from a bad heart, underwent stem cell therapy in Bangkok, Thailand because the practice wasn't allowed in the US. Although he only lived a bit less than a year, he declared he felt much better after the treatment. The quality of his life had improved. It's likely he probably would have died sooner without the treatment.
VesCellâ„¢ Adult Stem Cell Improves Don Ho Life

I also knew about tissue growth. Skin tissue is probably the most well known. And of course there's the Vacanti mouse with a human ear growing on its back.

YouTube - Mouse Ears

Now that I think about it, I do seem to recall having seen something about developing heart valves. But I did not know about the "powder" regrowing the fingertip in, what was it, 4 weeks or so? Pretty remarkable.

However, my retraction is only partial. I still stand by my opinion that I don't think we're going to be seeing any genetically enhanced human super soldiers in the near future. Robotic? Yes. Human? No. For the very reasons I gave in my previous post. Granted they are not currently the kind that look like people, but then they don't have to. It's worth noting that military bots have been significantly increasing in number. Kind of sounds a bit like something out of the Terminator movies.
Rise of the military machines - technology | Stuff.co.nz

COLUMN - Killer robots and a revolution in warfare: Bernd Debusmann | Technology | Reuters
Yep, I agree we won't see any super-soldiers, at least not in the near future.

I just came across an interesting way of fixing a damaged heart via stem cells injected into a pig's muscles. That sounds encouraging to me, because it suggests that it could be possible to do the same thing with other organs down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology