Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
  • Europe should use 120V rather than 240v. It's much safer.
Safer in what way?
The reasoning is, with a higher voltage, you need less current. P=IV. Less current = less load on the wiring = lower probability of the wiring overheating and starting a fire. Besides.. the American domestic power supply system is pretty old fashioned compared to the British system, which in my humble view is a lot safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post

The. UK and H.K. should steer on the left side. I read a study that it just makes more sense because of how your peripheral vision works.
Can you seriously imagine the cost of reversing an entire country's transport infrastructure? all of the roads, the signage, the signalling systems. It's not actually possible anyway, as you'd have to make the transition globally at the same instant. Even if it was physically feasible, imagine the number of accidents!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
As an engineer/scientist, I use both systems, daily.

As a person bumming about his goofy life, I much prefer the foot-pound [ie: American] system.

Why? Nope, nothing to do w/ patriotism, etc. It just feels more nature, to me. Yeap, last I counted I have ten toes and ten fingers, all kinda in line w/ a "metric" way of thinking. Yet, whereas it is 'easier', given its 10-based methodology, the metric system just seems cold and rigid.

Guess another part of me likes our odd-ball system as it is indeed different. Requires a person to think, to calculate, to recall. Additionally, as math is (and therefore measuring systems by extension are) a language, I would hate to see our system go extinct [as way too many written/spoken languages are ]. Nothing necessarily valid w/ any of these 'reasons' to keep our antiquated and weird measuring system - just IMHO, and cause I like it!

Besides, just think of all these changes:

So many kilograms and what do your get? Another day older, and a deeper in debt.

Just how many kilometers under the sea then did the Nautilus go?

The Indy 500 would be the Indy ???

How many cubic centimeters of pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

So, if I give you 2.54 centimeters, how many kilometers will you actually take?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Eh, I won't take it all on; it's Friday evening, after all. But I will take on the following two for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
The Indy 500 would be the Indy ???
It could still be the Indy 500. What does it matter? I -- a metric Euro nut -- don't care how a race is measured or what it's called.

Quote:
So, if I give you 2.54 centimeters, how many kilometers will you actually take?
Well, this is a little like me asking, "if I give you an inch, how many miles will you actually take?" But the beauty of the metric system is that when you give me 2.54 cm relative to a km, I know instantly that this is 0.00254 km. Get it? Just move the decimal point!!! It's exactly like the good 'ol U.S. Dollar.

Bottom line, anyone who can divide by 10 can use the metric system. Ok, a pre-schooler cannot because s/he hasn't learned to divide by 10 yet. But even a pre-schooler will learn to appreciate the simplicity of dividing by 10 after graduating to 1st grade!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 10-12-2007 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: stinkin' grammar

Old 10-13-2007, 01:00 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Well, this is a little like me asking, "if I give you an inch, how many miles will you actually take?" But the beauty of the metric system is that when you give me 2.54 cm relative to a km, I know instantly that this is 0.00254 km. Get it? Just move the decimal point!!! It's exactly like the good 'ol U.S. Dollar.
There are 63,360 inches in one mile.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
cre8 - evidently, humour mixed w/ heavy dose of sarcasm and a dash of witty idioticy does not belong in your metric world either?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
cre8 - evidently, humour mixed w/ heavy dose of sarcasm and a dash of witty idioticy does not belong in your metric world either?
Maybe the Sarcasm Smily wasn't working that day?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Maybe the Sarcasm Smily wasn't working that day?
Tryin' to tell me something?

Old 10-14-2007, 03:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
As an engineer/scientist, I use both systems, daily.

As a person bumming about his goofy life, I much prefer the foot-pound [ie: American] system.
I could say: "As a priest, I use both calendars, daily.

As a person bumming about his goofy life, I much prefer the Julian (i.e. Old Style) Calendar."

Quote:
Why? Nope, nothing to do w/ patriotism, etc. It just feels more nature, to me. Yeap, last I counted I have ten toes and ten fingers, all kinda in line w/ a "metric" way of thinking. Yet, whereas it is 'easier', given its 10-based methodology, the metric system just seems cold and rigid.

Guess another part of me likes our odd-ball system as it is indeed different. Requires a person to think, to calculate, to recall. Additionally, as math is (and therefore measuring systems by extension are) a language, I would hate to see our system go extinct [as way too many written/spoken languages are ]. Nothing necessarily valid w/ any of these 'reasons' to keep our antiquated and weird measuring system - just IMHO, and cause I like it!
I hope you can keep track of your chequing account with the great duodecimal system. I would also hate that the Julian Calendar would go extinct.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are 63,360 inches in one mile.
There are also 240 pence in a pound. There are a 1,000,000 mm in a km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
It could still be the Indy 500. What does it matter? I -- a metric Euro nut -- don't care how a race is measured or what it's called.
It would become the Indy 800 or 1,000.

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-14-2007 at 03:38 PM..

Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
Safer in what way?
The reasoning is, with a higher voltage, you need less current. P=IV. Less current = less load on the wiring = lower probability of the wiring overheating and starting a fire. Besides.. the American domestic power supply system is pretty old fashioned compared to the British system, which in my humble view is a lot safer.
It's just the consumer side that is 120 V, 60 Hz. The supply chain is 240 V. It is stepped down as it gets to the consumer. Notice that all electric units are metric and the Ampere is a SI base unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology