Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:44 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times

Advertisements

Hi science girls and guys.
So, i hope this doesn't become a debate about smart meters and whether or not they are dangerous to the health of humans and animals although i realize that may be unavoidable.
This article by Ken Jenkins (Smart Meters and Other Electromagnetic Radiation Hazards) posted on a forum i found seems to be a good and balanced one.
So, i'm one of those people who is concerned about the potential health risks of these smart meters.
And i live in a one room cabin, spend lots of time at home and, needless to say, sleep here.
I don't want to move and so even if there is a small chance of being negatively impacted by this thing, i'm looking for a way to protect myself.
I had this thought but i'm a science dummy so i'm not sure if it's valid. (don't laugh at me )
When we get x-rays at the dentist we wear one of those lead "aprons".
Now, i'm assuming that this is a different kind of radiation but even so, would hanging one of those aprons on the inside wall opposite of the smart meter provide protection?
As the article that i posted stated, a smart meter on the other side of the wall that one spends a lot of time in (like sleeping) may be a concern.
I and my dog not only sleep in the space but spend many hours of the day in it.
I'd like to not have to worry about this.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Do you have a cordless phone or wireless Internet? Your smart meter probably puts out as much RF radiation as those devices. It might put out almost no RF energy if it transmits over the power lines, instead of over radio waves.

IMO, it's likely not hazardous at all. Some people believe wifi is hazardous, so I can't speak for everyone's view.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Why is it these meters have been deployed in numerous states with no concerns over the RF transmissions except in CA?

Residents in CA are scared of their own shadows and this is just another example.

The authors own admittance that he has preached for over 40 years concerning the dangers of ALL wireless devices should give you an indication of where his head is at.

Do you need any more more indications of this guys thinking than this?

Quote:
I use a stethoscopic (air tube) headset for my own cell phone

Does that tell you how off-the-wall this guy is?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM

Even Maine and Texas (two conservative states) have a pro-active movement to stop the installation of smart meters.
All i wanted was an answer to my question so i posted it on the science forum because i figured there would be at least one person who would know the answer.
I assumed that there would be some debate about the issue (i prefaced my original post with that as a consideration) but being disrespected and dismissed in such an arrogant and snarky manner is disappointing.
You probably don't think that cell phones are hazardous even though many respectable scientists and the W.H.O. has concerns.
There are many people who feel and think differently than you do regarding smart meters.
You can think and perceive the way that you want without blasting someone for thinking and perceiving otherwise.
Anyway, if anyone can just give me an answer about using a lead apron as a shield ... anyone who doesn't feel the need to put other people down ... then thank you.
Otherwise, i will find my answer elsewhere.

Last edited by jaijai; 07-03-2011 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Anyway, if anyone can just give me an answer about using a lead apron as a shield ... anyone who doesn't feel the need to put other people down ... then thank you.
Otherwise, i will find my answer elsewhere.
Sorry if you got the impression I was blasting you or putting you down, I didn't....

Methinks you are upset because I didn't agree with the premise of the author and put him down...

Was trying to show you your fears about Smart meters based on this loonies article could be misguided.

Sounds like you didn't want a debate, you just want people to agree with you and this author..

How can I shield my Smart meter?

Frequently Asked Questions: EMF Shielding of Smart Meters

If you are concerned about the emissions from the Smart meter I'm sure you are just as concerned about your cell phone, cell phone towers, your laptop, your home speakers and your exposure to EMF driving your car................

Frequently Asked Questions: EMF Shielding

Last edited by plwhit; 07-03-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 11:00 AM

No, i was upset because of your judgmental attitude about me and other people who are concerned about the smart meters and because i asked a science question and didn't receive either an answer or an "i don't know".
Like i said, i'm a science dummy and it was only my impression that the article i provided the link to was somewhat balanced and that the guy knew what he was talking about.
Anyway, thanks for the links and i'll be back if i have any more questions.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:05 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
That State of Kalifornia (sig heil!) has determined that lead shields contain... LEAD. As such, and as a possible carcinogen and detriment to the fragile minds of young Kalifornians, and has banned the use of lead in many products. Please wait until the State of Kalifornia (sig heil!) comes up with organic and biodegradable shields constructed of the sanitary remains of ethically harvested invasive species, who laughed as they lay dying.

Who among us, back in the 1950s, even DREAMED that films from southern California like "It Came From Outer Space" and "Invasion of the Brain-eating Tarantulas" were not cheap horror films, but documentaries?!?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
No, i was upset because of your judgmental attitude about me and other people who are concerned about the smart meters and because i asked a science question and didn't receive either an answer or an "i don't know".
Like i said, i'm a science dummy and it was only my impression that the article i provided the link to was somewhat balanced and that the guy knew what he was talking about.
Anyway, thanks for the links and i'll be back if i have any more questions.
Not a prob.......

BTW,
Quote:
Hi science girls and guys
almost all of here are no longer in HS.....

Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

BTW, almost all of here are no longer in HS.....
I was being silly.

Harry Chickpea, to compare California to Nazi Germany is offensive, ridiculous and informed by attitude and ignorance.
You may think that California (a huge, diverse [culturally and naturally, ie; it's ecosysems] besieged / overly impacted by people, and chaotic state) is crazy but the intentions of Californian's and California law makers (very misguided as they may often be) have nothing to do with the annihilation of their fellow human beings and is not born of ill will, hatred and evil. Duh!
The vitriolic attitude people have about California is fascinating.

Though i call myself a "science dummy" i have, over the years, come to appreciate those scientists (that i listen to and read) who are not only objective, intelligent and articulate, but who are free of attitude and despite their extreme intellectualism, have good hearts and genuinely care about their given field of expertise and how their knowledge may best serve our human and planetary plight.

All i was asking for was a scientifically informed answer to the question about lead as a barrier of protection against the potential health risk of the smart meter ... not all of this ridiculous and arrogant and juvenile attitude.

Last edited by jaijai; 07-03-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 01:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology