Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Well the time has finally come. I'm starting my long, long overdue drive to Seattle next Friday!!

I seriously can't believe it's finally here. It's really weird having two apartments right now in two cities that couldn't be any further apart in character - it literally feels like two different lives!

Anyway, enough of my excitement

I have narrowed my route choices to the two below. Based on other people's experiences with the condition of the roads, the towns I would be staying in and the mountainous areas, which is the best route to take? I'm leaning towards route two since I get the most driving out of the way early.

Either route, I'm stopping for a few hours to visit friends in Denver on the second day.

ROUTE ONE:

DAY ONE:
Houston, TX - Amarillo, TX (via I-45/US-287): 609 Miles, 10 hrs 25 mins

DAY TWO:
Amarillo, TX - Denver, CO (via I-25): 440 miles, 7 hrs 41 mins
Denver, CO - Cheyenne, WY (via I-25): 99 miles, 1 hr 37 mins

DAY THREE:
Cheyenne, WY - Twin Falls, ID (via I-80/I-84): 616 Miles, 9 hrs 36 mins

DAY FOUR:
Twin Falls, ID - Seattle, WA (via I-84/I-82/I-90): 632 Miles, 10 hrs 22 mins

Total Miles: 2,393 Miles / 39 hrs 40 mins

ROUTE TWO:

DAY ONE:
Houston, TX - Amarillo, TX (via I-45/US-287): 609 Miles, 10 hrs 25 mins

DAY TWO:
Amarillo, TX - Denver, CO (via I-25): 440 Miles, 7 hrs 41 mins
Denver, CO - Casper, WY (via I-25): 270 Miles, 4 hrs 7 mins

DAY THREE:
Casper, WY - Missoula, MT (via I-25/I-90): 628 Miles, 9 hrs 24 mins

DAY FOUR:
Missoula, MT - Seattle, WA: (via I-90) 475 Miles, 8 hrs 5 mins

TOTAL: 2422 Miles / 39 hours 42 mins

Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times
Your first route is a bit more fun. We went through Utah (came from San Antonio) but Wyoming is quite beautiful. Just be careful of the roads late at night in Colorado and Utah. Also NW Texas is scary at night as well, since there isn't any cell reception for hours.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
In essence, you are asking what the better route is from Denver to Seattle.

Since the snow season is mostly behind us, the northern and southern routes shouldn't make much difference. However, April snow at the highest elevations is still possible. There are multiple high elevation passes on both routes.

Scenery is probably better on route two. Especially in Montana west of Billings. The route through Idaho and Oregon is somewhat boring, but both routes bring you over the Cascades, which are scenic, especially on a clear day.

If scenery is important, and you take your first route, stay on I-84 at Hermiston, OR and go through the Columbia Gorge to east Portland, OR, then up 205, to 5, then into Seattle from the south. A little longer, but nice.

Also, if your mileage and time spent look a little off, it is because Oregon still has a 65 MPH limit, and most states in the west are 75, with WA at 70.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Route 1 for sense, Route 2 for beauty.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Thanks for the responses so far, and yes, I guess it is the same for both routesthrough Denver, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Route 1 for sense, Route 2 for beauty.
So do you think Route 2 will likely be more wintery? Maybe I should wait until I get to Cheyenne and look at the weather forecast for the next day or two to decide which way to go as that's the last point to change?

I'd prefer to do the more scenic route, but I also would rather deal with less mountain passes.

Pw72, if you go that route through Portland, is the pass over the Cascades that way better or worse than going over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I took I90 all the way from Chicago. It was definitely beautiful once I got into Wyoming, so as far as scenery goes, you can't go wrong with route #2, IMO. Never been the other way, so I couldn't comment on it. Snoqualmie Pass was probably the most beautiful area I've ever seen (so far).

Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
I've taken 90 to SD a couple of times - it's absolutely gorgeous. Loong, but gorgeous. And it's interstate, so the curves aren't so bad. I don't remember the speed limit droping below 50 and only for a short while (and not in Montana! Holy smokes do those folks make some time!) and there's a decent amout of shoulder and guard rails. Now when you get out here, there's some moutain roads that will turn your hair gray....

And honestly Snoqualimie pass is pretty darn mild compared to most of the passes I've been over. It's relatively low elevation and the road widens to 4 lanes in each direction at the top. I can barely tell I'm on a pass and my old 4-cyl car could stay up to speed the entire way up it so that ought to tell you something. Of course it's still a pass and if it snows they may require chains and/or close it for avalanche control. Never taken 82/84 so can't comment on those... But no matter which route you take it always pays to watch the weather and make your personal safety a priority.

Have a great trip! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
So do you think Route 2 will likely be more wintery? Maybe I should wait until I get to Cheyenne and look at the weather forecast for the next day or two to decide which way to go as that's the last point to change?

I'd prefer to do the more scenic route, but I also would rather deal with less mountain passes.

Pw72, if you go that route through Portland, is the pass over the Cascades that way better or worse than going over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90?
Either way you go, you have a *chance* of encountering winter weather, but I'd say that chance is quite dwindled by now, no matter which route you take. The winter here in Colorado is effectively over -- I'd imagine the other Rocky states had winters that ended earlier than normal as well.

IMO going I-84 to Portland instead of I-82 through Tri-Cities/Yakima/Snoqualmie is simply silly. One of the most intense rain storms I've ever been through in my life occurred just west of The Dalles (during Spring ); FWIW, there is no proper pass there, just a gradual ascent and descent through the Columbia River Gorge.

The passes you'd encounter on either route (even Route 2) would be mere blips in the trip in comparison to the trip as a whole, be sure to enjoy the emptiness between towns (especially in Wyoming) -- and if you do take Route 2, you can thank me later for the stretch between say Columbus, MT and Spokane.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Once you are living here, you are likely to make many trips over Snoqualmie Pass and even down around Portland on day trips and weekends. I'd take advantage of the opportunity to see areas that you are not likely to get to again. There is a chance of snow through May but it's not likely to be too bad this late, I would take the northern route and enjoy the beauty of the drive.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
IMO going I-84 to Portland instead of I-82 through Tri-Cities/Yakima/Snoqualmie is simply silly.
I totally agree. I would be driven nuts because thats just adding an extra 3 hours or so to the commute to get to Seattle. Its frickin long!! Very winding... its not til Dalles it becomes more of a quick straight shot to Portland.

Oh.... and the WIND. I had a Tercel and driving through i84 terrified the heck out of me. (Though you will encounter the winds on i82/90... just seems i84 is more scary.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area