Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times

Advertisements

I tried to move to Seattle from Texas a few years ago but then the recession hit and decided to stay put. I'm still at the same job (glad I have one) but it's going nowhere and I'm basically just going for a paycheck with no future. It's my first job out of college and I've been there for over 5 years.

I've applied to a few jobs up there when I see them, but it seems they are not interested in out of state applicants.

Soooo, I figured 2012 is my deadline to just up and move if I STILL cannot find a job before then while living in Texas. I honestly just don't see how I can get one unless I move first, but who knows.

I have visited numerous times and have no problem with the weather (I'm from England, so used to the grey and muck!)

So here are my finances: I have $25,000 saved up so far, but scared to death of just up and moving of course! However, I think by 2012 I'll have over $30,000 saved up, probably more. This is purely savings and does not include checking (fluctuates from about $1000 - $3000) or my IRA, 401K, etc. (which of course I'm not touching!). I have a Health Savings Account with about $3000 in it, and I also own my car (4 yrs old), so have no car payment. I have excellent credit, do not have any credit card debt, but do have about $18,000 in student loans (at a fixed interest rate of 1.25%).

I'm just trying to gauge how others have moved with or without a job so I can be prepared for whatever I end up doing. I have to get out of Houston before I go crazy and can barely go one more Summer!!!!

Last edited by mrman78; 01-18-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...00-no-job.html

Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
The economy may be a bit better in a year or so. Don't rule out a job as a contractor...many companies can hire in contractors easier than permanent employees, and if/when the economy improves, you may get hired in. I'd send your resume to them now and they can gauge what the market is like. It might allow you to make the move sooner. Best of luck.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
It depends on the profession.

If you are an engineer or other highly technical professional (which I'm assuming you are because you emigrated from England), then if you specialize in mechanical, electrical, structural, propulsion, etc. in aerospace you should be able to find something. Or if you are into software, we got that too. Finally, biomed is big here.

If it's more managerial, you could probably find jobs here as well.

You'd have to be a little more specific.

Employers are reluctant to hire non-locals for some strange reason. Boeing and Microsoft are two companies that are NOT for only locals though, so try them.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 AM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
I was in your boat last year. I moved up to Seattle without a job. It's true that out-of-state applicants are not taken seriously here. I experienced that as well.

Prior to the move I spent six months saving up money. (Half of my paycheck each month went to savings). When the time came to move I packed up my car and drove up, found an apartment and got set up here.

Make sure you have enough saved up to get you six months of living here without a job. The job market is not as good here as it is in Texas. Consider AlohaHuey's suggestion of doing contract work.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Thanks for the suggestions all. I am in a technical field, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) to be exact. I've seen numerous jobs in this field, but don't know how big it is there. I have a Bachelors in Geology and Geography, so could also look for Geology jobs - although they seem to be much harder to find and would probably have to go entry-level...

vandygirl, how did you go about finding an apartment? I wondered how that works if you don't already have a job and the application process, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
I just drove around looking for signs outside of buildings. When I found the property I liked I told the landlord the type of job I would be doing. My credit checked out so I got the apartment. If you have credit issues you might need a cosigner or you could try finding someone who needs a roommate. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
GIS. Interesting. Would the jobs be from WADOT? There are a lot of surveyors and people using drones to fly over mountain ranges to do everything from study the mountains and forest to mapping road widening projects.

Anyway, I would recommend following vandygirl's advice and saving for six months expenses and moving here if you want a job here. Local government agencies are oddly enough even less inclined to hire out-of-towners. Maybe not as bad as state government agencies, or federal. I know a girl who moved here to work with NOAA and goes out on the oceans for months at a time, she came from Bristol originally! So I know it can be done.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM

56 posts, read 216,757 times
Check out craigslist for GIS-related jobs. There is one posted yesterday (1/19) for a GIS Analyst!

seattle all jobs classifieds "GIS" - craigslist

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
Even for government jobs it's hard to get hired from out of state. I am finally getting a government job after several years of applying, and only because it's in a crappy location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area