Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,095 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are planning a move back to the west coast, we are both in our 30's. I grew up in the SF bay area. Been in Ohio for seven years now and the cold, lack of intelligence(not all, but enough have ruined it), lack of drive to do better for yourself (the locals), bugs, humidity, frigid winters, and lack of mountains, oceans and west coast scenery has gotten to me. I loved the Seattle area when i visited and always considered it a place i would love to live. So we're still in the early stages of planning. The main problem i have is we are both in college at the moment. Two years into a 4 year RN program for both of us. Ive checked a few colleges about transferring and believe we can transfer from the info i have gotten so far. We have a $1200. house payment now here in Ohio and would be looking for something to rent about the same or less until we finish school. I worry about moving out to the area after we finish school. I fear it might be harder to find work not living in the area first. I would rather be in the area a few years before, so once we are RN's we'll be more familiar with area, local hospitals, etc... I have an old high school friend living in the maple valley area. So im interested in the cities to the south for now like Kent, Tacoma, maple valley (i believe to be more SE). I will only need to make limited money while in school to pay rent, utilities, etc..I have a savings, have money set to live on for school, so a great job will not be a big deal until we are finished with school. My wife was recently laid off from her job and i work at the hospital as a cna/ US and do electrical work. Been an electrician since i was a teen. So im hoping to find work in those regards out there. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM

What im looking for is some good neighborhoods around Seattle area community colleges that have fairly cheap rent (around $1000./month or less). Also if you know of any good community colleges i could look into for a RN program to transfer too.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are 3 JCs in Seattle, one in Bellevue, one in Auburn (Green River) Lake Washington Tech in Kirkland. Bellevue College has an RN program, not sure about the others. You may be able to find a small apartment for $1000
in Bellevue but it will be a couple of miles from the school near the Crossroads area. There are several hospitals in the area being expanded and a new one being built so there could be good job opportunities here.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Just finish your degree. Don't be impatient. Once you get your degree you can write your own ticket, pretty much. It is getting hard for new nursing graduates to find work out here, but if you have experience you can usually step right in. Having a BSN in Seattle is desirable.

There are only two nursing schools here that have strong enough reputations to open doors for you - the UW and Seattle University. Non-resident tuition at the UW is pretty pricey, and tuition at Seattle U is even higher than that. Some of the hospitals up here have tuition reimbursement programs that will pay for part of your education in exchange for a time commitment.

You will only be able to find work here as an electrician if you are in the IBEW, but keep in mind that there are a whole lot of unemployed electricians that moved here during the construction boom that are looking for work now.

I understand the desire to move, but finishing your education would be your smartest move right now in my opinion. By then the economy will have hopefully turned around and jobs will be available again.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:19 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times
We are moving to Seattle with our kids and I am also finishing a degree I am halfway through, but because tuition is so expensive for out of state residents I have to wait a year and then apply as a resident. That's at UW, so not sure if the same applies to the cummunity colleges. We are also in our late 30's, but we have kids/teenagers so we can't stay really close to campus in a cheap place, and have to consider their schooling needs too. Have you looked into the cost of attending as an out of state resident? Would you be able to swing it financially or would it be easier to work and wait out the residency year?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,551 times
Just a word of advice/caution. Most of Ohio has a reasonable cost of living. Seattle, proper, does not. Like any big city on the coastal regions, it's very crowded/congested, and it's very expensive to do almost everything... from parking, shopping, eating out, and owning a home (ouch!) So bring lots of money with you, and it won't feel so much like a 'Country Club.'

Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
UW Tacoma has a program for nursing as well. I would say housing/rent more affordable there than Seattle. Tacoma and the SE area have hospitals and clinics (like Multi-care network).

The "safe" way would be to stay put and finish up what you're doing, but there's no guarantees that it'll open more doors then than if you just move here now.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I actually know all about the cost of living on the west coast, since i lived in the SF bay area a majority of my adult life. Ive checked out a few of the schools and their NS applications were all mostly due by Feb. 1 to be considered for this fall. So im thinking i may be staying here to finish school before i move....but who knows my desire to move to Seattle is great. I love everything it has to offer. Ill be out during spring break mid-march to check out some areas im considering moving too. This site has so much info, its great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area