Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 AM

31 posts, read 47,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingfromchicago View Post
I am moving to Seattle from Chicago and I am NERVOUS!!! I am an African American single 30 year old professional woman. I need to find a church. . A good worship filled teaching church. I need to find a beautician, one that specializes in weave. I need to find a safe area to stay in. . . . How is Federal Way? Where do single black professionals mingle. . .shop. . . congregate? HELP!!!!
The most integrated/diverse close-in Seattle residential neighborhoods are:

CENTRAL DISTRICT ("the CD.....the traditional home of African American community in Seattle. Although it has gentrified quite a bit, you can still find the largest concentration of AAs in Seattle metro area living here.

MADRONA, MT. BAKER (east/southeast of downtown bordering Lake Washington). Beautiful upscale neighborhoods with a smattering of African Americans, mostly professionals and establishment types....lawyers, doctors, judges, politicians, etc.

BEACON HILL (south of downtown), predominately Asian, but you wouldn't find yourself out of place here as an AA.

RAINIER VALLEY (south of downtown). This was the immediate area that many AAs migrated to once the Central Area was no longer affordable. Very diverse....all ethnicities. Notable neighborhoods......Columbia City, Seward Park.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't have any problems/issues moving to any area within the Seattle metro area. Unlike Chicago perhaps, there are no geographical boundaries that you need to respect or watch out for as an AA. You can live anywhere in the city comfortably as long as you have the $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 02:04 AM

31 posts, read 47,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingfromchicago View Post
I am moving to Seattle from Chicago and I am NERVOUS!!! I am an African American single 30 year old professional woman. I need to find a church. . A good worship filled teaching church. I need to find a beautician, one that specializes in weave. I need to find a safe area to stay in. . . . How is Federal Way? Where do single black professionals mingle. . .shop. . . congregate? HELP!!!!

For starters you might want to check out this Meet Up group which has over a couple of hundred members. They plan social and networking events regularly.........Seattle Metro African American Social Club.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,382 times
mod cut: good information but please us a Direct Message at this point

I agree that there is no real Black community here, and anyone saying that isn't important must not be Black. Segregation is wrong but talk to me about community not being important when your race makes up less than 7%, actually. And that's Seattle, where most Blacks in Washington live, so you can imagine that Washington state is more like 4%. That being said, I agree the church is where you will build your relationships with the Black community. Your relationships will of course branch out to all races, which is nice. But there's nothing wrong with a tight group of sista-girls to "pat your weave" freely around. lol.

Federal Way is densely populated. I work in law enforcement and for some reason there's always someone being booked that either lives in Federal Way or was picked up in Federal Way. Not saying there aren't nice areas of Federal Way, but it had an influx of people when they built quite a few apartment complexes years ago and with the increase in population, you get all kinds of people.

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: 10-post rule as per our T.O.S.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM

153 posts, read 637,417 times
I agree with the other Black posters here. As a Black woman myself who moved here from L.A., I can honestly say that this place has been the biggest mistake of my life. I've lived in 7 states, big cities (NYC, Boston, Miami) and small. There's nothing sinister or awful that makes Seattle not a good fit, but I truly think that a big part of it is the lack of community. Now, I'm not saying that the other places I've livd were bastions of Black togetherness, but there was at least the sense that being Black was not an alien concept.

At some point in the other places I've lived, either I'll start it myself or another Black woman will start a conversation. Usually mundane, in line for something probably, maybe start with something about my hair or how they wish they could wear theirs short, too, or something like that. Nothing serious, but just a nice conversation. That does not happen here. EVER. There is no common point of recognition. It is sometimes a little heartbreaking to not see people who look like you.

People here are well meaning and will tell you that we're all one and everyone will accept you, and to some extent that's true. But I have tried to express this before and I just won't sugarcoat it anymore. It's different for minorities and it's REALLY different here. It's not about segregation, it's about familiarity, a sense of belonging just because you aren't automatically seen as an outsider. Sure, your philosophy can make you an outsider regardless of race anywhere you go but here, you will be an uncomfortable novelty, especially if you're educated. There is a connective thread that should exist, but doesn't.

Hope this makes sense and feel free to DM if you have any specific questions because I'd like to help if I can. I'm finally getting away from this place and if I can help someone not go through what I went through, maybe it won't have been in vain =)

Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,251 times
Default What area?

What area are you in? Did you really never see any black people?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,522 times
Default Hello

Hi ComingfromChicago and Vandygirl,

I am planning on moving to Seattle. I am currently in Florida. I am an Africa American woman and also a christian. I would love to move by 1/1/2012. Would it be possible to chat off line? I have a lot of questions and any help would be a blessing.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 AM

304 posts, read 850,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvngmenow View Post
Hi ComingfromChicago and Vandygirl,

I am planning on moving to Seattle. I am currently in Florida. I am an Africa American woman and also a christian. I would love to move by 1/1/2012. Would it be possible to chat off line? I have a lot of questions and any help would be a blessing.
You can send me a private message.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 AM

304 posts, read 850,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I agree with the other Black posters here. As a Black woman myself who moved here from L.A., I can honestly say that this place has been the biggest mistake of my life. I've lived in 7 states, big cities (NYC, Boston, Miami) and small. There's nothing sinister or awful that makes Seattle not a good fit, but I truly think that a big part of it is the lack of community. Now, I'm not saying that the other places I've livd were bastions of Black togetherness, but there was at least the sense that being Black was not an alien concept.

At some point in the other places I've lived, either I'll start it myself or another Black woman will start a conversation. Usually mundane, in line for something probably, maybe start with something about my hair or how they wish they could wear theirs short, too, or something like that. Nothing serious, but just a nice conversation. That does not happen here. EVER. There is no common point of recognition. It is sometimes a little heartbreaking to not see people who look like you.

People here are well meaning and will tell you that we're all one and everyone will accept you, and to some extent that's true. But I have tried to express this before and I just won't sugarcoat it anymore. It's different for minorities and it's REALLY different here. It's not about segregation, it's about familiarity, a sense of belonging just because you aren't automatically seen as an outsider. Sure, your philosophy can make you an outsider regardless of race anywhere you go but here, you will be an uncomfortable novelty, especially if you're educated. There is a connective thread that should exist, but doesn't.

Hope this makes sense and feel free to DM if you have any specific questions because I'd like to help if I can. I'm finally getting away from this place and if I can help someone not go through what I went through, maybe it won't have been in vain =)
As a Black woman I totally disagree with this. Moving to Seattle was the BEST decision of my life. I've lived in the San Francisco area, Atlanta and Nashville, and I've visited many other cities including Los Angeles.

It does not surprise me that someone from LA would not fit into Seattle regardless of race. Northern Californians have a lot more in common culturally. There is not a sense that every Black person has to acknowledge you on the street in Northern California. People don't strike up extended conversations often in grocery store lines in the bay area. The fact that people don't do it here is not strange to me. It's normal behavior.

I have lived in many diverse settings where African Americans are the minority. I spent a lot of time in Chinatown, working in a Hispanic community and living in a majority White community. For me, it is not a big deal. I don't feel a need to be surrounded by African Americans all the time. I see them at church from time to time. My identity and happiness are not tied to the color of the people I'm around. I know I'm Black and I love my cultural heritage but it is not foremost on my mind. Ok, I'm Black. And...?

My friends here are all colors. I like it that way. It makes life more interesting.

I am an educated person, too. I don't feel like a novelty at all. In fact, most of the Black people I know here are educated. They are all middle and upper middle class. Besides, the community at large is very educated in Seattle. I'm surprised the other poster felt this way.

Living in Seattle I have felt the most comfortable I have ever felt in my life. In LA I have to worry about whether I'm skinny enough or my hair is light enough. In Atlanta I have to stay in my community and not venture out where I might not be accepted as much. In Nashville I have to follow society's rules and not rock the boat. In the bay area I have to be wealth conscious, hide my privileged background from folks in the ghetto and downplay my ghetto ties when I'm with the gentry. In Seattle I can be me, whatever I want to be. This place gives you the room to be yourself.

If you are African American, before moving here ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you socially mobile and comfortable in any social circle?
2. Are you an adventurous or worldly person who gets bored easily with the same comfortable and familiar experiences everyday of your life?
3. Are you fed up with a lousy economy and race mindedness enough to move to a place where it's gray and wet six months of the year?

If you can answer yes to all of those questions, Seattle is for you.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM

35 posts, read 46,946 times
Thanks to everyone for their replies but especially vandygirl (reps to you).

It was a tossup between Seattle and Denver which are polar opposites terms of weather. Seattle is definitely the more cosmopolitan of the two and I'm looking to have a more urban experience. I think Denver may be more affordable I'm still above the median salary for Seattle.

I'll be moving in the summer 2012 after my daughter graduates from high school. I work at home so I can live anywhere. I'm not the most social person but I'm looking to make a change and broaden my social experiences. I was concerned that the weather might be a deterrent but I've done some research and it seems like people who want to get out and do things do.

I'm going to take an exploratory trip to Seattle this summer for a week. I can't wait.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM

30 posts, read 101,910 times
Reps to Vandygirl. As a black woman who recently moved to Seattle, she took the words right out of my mouth. Of the different cities I've lived in and traveled to as a professional, this has been my best move. As long as you're willing and comfortable with interacting with ALL types of people, you'll do well here. People here are less concerned about race than other cities I've been in, and that's a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area