Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

I have an Eddie Bauer waterproof windbreaker with a hoodie. It's been marvelous. If it's cold, I just wear a sweater underneath it. I've had that thing washed, dunked completely in water while kayaking, muddied, and spilled coffee and other things on it, and it's a miracle that it hasn't disintegrated by now, and it's still repelling water. There's also internal pockets to keep stuff that is sensitive in the rain out of it. I highly recommend it. reasonably priced too.

Sweater + that jacket will probably run you ~$100 total. Less if you buy the sweater somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Depends on what you do and your sense of fashion. The reason the urban hiker look too off is because it works. Coming from Miami you'll basically have to start from scratch. Stocking up at REI with two coats (heavy and light) and fleece pull overs is by far the easiest and most economical. Get a couple pairs of boots and you'd be good to go wearing monotone grey.

Otherwise hit up the thrift shops or ebay, and get a bunch of wool sweaters. At least one should be a thick, heavy weight wool. Assuming your peacoat fits correctly (as in you can wear a thick wool sweater underneath) the only other coat you'd really need is something lightweight such as a Herrington or mechanics type jacket. For the few days it's just miserably soaking wet a lightweight trench coat/rain jacket, basically just a water proof shell with no lining or removable lining. Layers are for providing warmth. Coats are for cutting the wind and keeping you dry.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 PM

232 posts, read 805,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
or if you want to conform go to REI or North Face and get something unflattering.
...and seriously over-priced. i get the same quality clothes at Eddie Bauer outlet, where everything always seems to be 50-70% off.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM

30 posts, read 101,922 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone, and keep them coming!

So the insulated jacket I was thinking of purchasing sounds like it will be a bit much for Seattle, lol. It seems I should just be more focused on finding a waterproof jacket, and layer underneath, right? I am somewhat fashion conscious, so the urban hiker look isn't quite for me. I did see an Eddie Bauer waterproof hoodie that didn't make me look like I was getting ready to climb a mountain. Do trench coats work well?

Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
If you're not used to a cold climate (coming from Miami), you may want to look for something with a liner.

I wore my peacoat probably 60% of the time when I was out in the winter, and otherwise wore a normal jacket with a sweater under it. It's all about the layering. For super-cold weather (like when it snowed), I have an Alpha N3B Parka:

http://cache-images.pronto.com/thumb...0&bgcol=FFFFFF
Classic mod-style steaz FTW

The whole "I just came off/am getting ready to climb a mountain" look really, really isn't my thing either. Thankfully, it's really not that hard to find stuff that's warm but still somewhat stylish.

Typical dead-of-winter winter outfit for me in Seattle: undershirt/t-shirt,collared button-down short sleeve, sweater, coat, microfiber long johns, Levi's 511's, Doc Martens. I always bought my pants a size long so I had more cuff to insulate my ankles. After I got to my destination inside, I'd take off the sweater and long johns and stow them in my bag till I left for the night - what can I say? I may be an ethnic Swede but all my years in CA stripped the ability to handle cold from my body

Typical normal-winter day: undershirt, collared button-down short sleeve, sweater, lightweight jacket, Levi's 511's, Doc Martens.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: not an image you own

Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I'm surprised trench coats aren't worn more in Seattle. They're worn, but you'd think they would be really common since the best jacket is lightweight and waterproof. I wear peacoats often but every once in a while you get the really heavy rain (last Monday evening in downtown Seattle). My peacoat was soaked and needs to go to the cleaners. That's not common though. Once your body temperature adjusts, the light jacket and layers works perfectly. You will find people in Seattle wearing hiking style shorts when it hits 60. Most of the time it's just not that cold, which is why, for guys, the North Face jackets with the zip out insulated liner is so popular. Understand it's not your style but you'll see why it's popular after a winter here.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I think trench coats is too stylish for Seattle. Seattle just doesn't care about style

Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
^ I'm gonna start wearing hiking pants every day just to **** these fashionistas off. And socks and sandals. Yeah, that's right. You heard me. SOCKS AND SANDALS. Every. Single. Day.

And maybe one of those big floppy Outdoor Research rain hats.
Go ahead and look ridiculous, I don't care. But when people look good, they feel good. When people dress well, others take them more seriously. Spend your life looking like a hippy bum and people are going to treat you like a hippy bum. Dress nicely with a nice coat and tie and people will automatically treat you in a more dignified and respected manner. That's what so many Seattleites don't seem to understand.

Funny enough, it's the younger generation in Seattle that dresses better and it's the middle aged people that seem to dress like crap. Maybe the youngsters realize the importance of looking decent especially in this job market.

Wear socks, sandals and one of those hideous rain hats to an interview or to an office job every day and see how people view you.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I think trench coats is too stylish for Seattle. Seattle just doesn't care about style
Thank god we care more about the content than the superficial veneer of "fashion." ROFL!

(sorry, I had to make a light jab there, but I do mean it)

Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 PM

278 posts, read 636,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Thank god we care more about the content than the superficial veneer of "fashion." ROFL!

(sorry, I had to make a light jab there, but I do mean it)
It's possible to get high-quality, useful clothing (content) that is also fashionable. I will never understand why Seatteites don't care about looking nice.

Not only do Seattleites dress poorly, but they seem to look down on others who don't follow in their homely ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area