Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 79,872 times

Advertisements

I will be working at Boeing's Everett office. Though I have pretty much decided to rent a place in Mukilteo (thanks "the dufferz" for your help) for a couple of months, I am exploring places to live for long term.

I have two questions...

1) How is the public transportation if I were to live in Seattle? My online search has come up with rather disappointing results, esp. since I was hoping to find a train service. What is Sounder Commuter Rail like? The map shows only 3 stops: King St, Edmonds, and Everett (not close to Boeing, though). Is that correct? What other options do I have, assuming I didn't want to drive, not even if it were "against" the rush hour traffic?

2) This question is only relevant if my public transportation fears are unfounded! What are some of the safest areas in Seattle that are also close to a train station?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 04:45 PM

A closer look at the Sounder Commuter Rail schedule shows that the service is pretty dismal, and not at all practical for me... I will still appreciate any alternate suggestion.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:32 AM

454 posts, read 906,162 times
Art,

Your main option is taking the bus or should I say the busses. Seattle is in King County and Everett is in Snohomish County. Different systems. If you were lucky, you may live near a bus stop that you can walk to. Most people, however end up driving to the park & ride, then busing from there.

You would need to check the bus routes to see how many transfers you may need to do to get from point A to Point B. Too many of those delays, and you will probably find that driving your own car will save you time. You will save money, however taking the bus, especially if Boeing picks up the bill.

There is another option that may work for you with a company as large as Boeing. Ride share is a program that either matches groups of people to carpool, or allows the group to use a van for the commute. This is a nice alternative to look into.

maybe somebody else has better ideas out there that I am not thinking of.

Anybody?

Old 08-25-2006, 08:50 AM

179 posts, read 494,066 times
i don't have any helpful input - just wanted to say that i LOVE your screename, art.

are you going to be an importer/exporter for boeing?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks a lot, "the dufferz", for more helpful advice. I agree with you that if I had to take transfer(s), I would rather drive. Rideshare sounds like a good alternative. It's probably not a lot of fun waiting for the bus, especially since I have heard something about the rains in the area! Besides, I am more of a train guy than bus; too bad there isn't anything of relevance in that arena.

(Lady Lara: I am past the importer/exporter business; these days, I am an Architect currently working on an addition to the Guggenhein )

Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Public transportation throughout western Washington (Olympia to Everett) is a sad, pathetic joke. You could probably catch a bus from Everett to Seattle to get to where you want to go, but count on it taking an hour or more and changing buses three or four times.

The county and state keep trying to build a rail system, but voters keep shooting it down because they don't want the increase in taxes to pay for it.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 21,549 times
Talking Your name made me smil

I also just wanted to comment on your name...you are sort of a cultural icon at this point. Last I heard you were working in latex and latex related products so I'm glad to know that you are now back to your true calling...architecture.

We are contemplating a move to Whidbey Island from So. California. Looking for a bit of clean air and a calmer environment. Hope you do well with your decision making. Navymom

(sorry for the goof in the title...I really do know how to spell "smile"!

Last edited by navymom; 08-31-2006 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM

179 posts, read 494,066 times
hey navy mom - i'm a navy mom as well! and obviously a seinfeld lover!

let me know how your search goes. our next orders are to whidbey - but we are investigating the mount vernon area.

and sorry art - i hijacked your thread for a minute. here - you can have it back now.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 AM

It is nice to know that I can still find people like "LadyLara" and "navymom" who appreciate a true comedy

The only thing more funny than the "show about nothing" is the idea of using public transportation to get from Seattle to Everett!

Thank you both "the dufferz" and "Mark S." for your help. I was only partially scared by your comments about the public transportation in the area. After looking at the Sound Transit web-site, I am completely blown away! Here is an example of what I found when I entered "From S KING ST & RAINIER AVE S To 100TH ST SW & AIRPORT RD". I get to spend a whopping 2 hours+23 minutes or an even better 3 hours+23 minutes each way of my commute!!! Granted, I could optimize some, but it is just absolutely impractical. Sad...

Itinerary #1

Walk SE from S KING ST & RAINIER AVE S to
Depart Rainier Ave S & S Weller St At 09:15 AM On Route MT 7 Downtown Seattle
Arrive S Jackson St & 5th Ave S At 09:19 AM
Transfer to
Depart 4th Ave S & S Jackson St At 09:50 AM On Route ST 510 EVERETT
Arrive EASTMONT P-R & BAY 3 At 10:29 AM
Transfer to
Depart EASTMONT PR & BAY 3 At 10:35 AM On Route ET 19 -Everett Mall
Arrive W MALL DR & EVE MALL WAY At 10:56 AM
Transfer to
Depart W MALL DR & EVE MALL WAY At 11:23 AM On Route ET 11 - Airport Rd - Everett Mall
Arrive AIRPORT RD & 100TH ST SW At 11:38 AM
Walk 0.1 mile N to 100TH ST SW & AIRPORT RD

Regular Fare: Senior/Disabled Fare with Permit:
$ 2.25 $ 1.00 About Fares and Transfers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Itinerary #2

Walk SE from S KING ST & RAINIER AVE S to
Depart Rainier Ave S & S Weller St At 09:15 AM On Route MT 7 Downtown Seattle
Arrive S Jackson St & 5th Ave S At 09:19 AM
Transfer to
Depart 4th Ave S & S Jackson St At 09:50 AM On Route ST 510 EVERETT
Arrive PACIFIC AVE & ROCKERFELLER AVE At 10:41 AM
Transfer to
Depart PACIFIC AVENUE & ROCKEFELLER At 11:07 AM On Route ET 1 - Everett Mall
Arrive W MALL DR & EVE MALL WAY At 11:50 AM
Transfer to
Depart W MALL DR & EVE MALL WAY At 12:27 PM On Route ET 11 - Airport Rd - Everett Mall
Arrive AIRPORT RD & 100TH ST SW At 12:38 PM
Walk 0.1 mile N to 100TH ST SW & AIRPORT RD

Regular Fare: Senior/Disabled Fare with Permit:
$ 2.25 $ 1.00 About Fares and Transfers

Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,916 times
thanks for the info about the commute, via bus from seattle to everett. Mine might be shorter as I
get off on everett mall way, near trader joe's. Haven't been up there yet, have an interview on
thursday in the area.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area