Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 44,377 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job offer that would require me to relocate, for 50k.

Anyone in the engineering field who has an idea of what range do companies offer for starting pay for fresh grads? I'm wondering if i should negotiate.

i've got good grades, but they didn't know, and probably aren't too concerned about it. rather, they were more interested in the projects i was involved in.

I know the salary will let me get by comfortably, but perhaps a higher starting pay would let me move up faster. I've also heard of companies offering the lower end of the range by default

any opinions welcome

oh and, WA having no state income tax, does that mean i bring home my basic pay, or are there other taxes to be deducted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I think 50K in today's economy for a new grad is decent for Seattle. Sure, some fields offer more, some less. But, 50k for a single is doable just about anywhere in Seattle. A family, not so much. Just be prepared to pay atleast $900 for a decent 1-BR apartment. Yes, no income tax helps, but there is a steep sales tax. Unless you plan on major purchases, though, that shouldn't be too much of a dent.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
in terms of taxes you'll still be subject to all of the federal ones (social security, medicare etc etc). wasn't sure what you meant by "basic pay"

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM

157 posts, read 218,353 times
If you're fresh out of college, that is a reasonable offer. Congrats on getting the job too. Competition in engineering has been stiff out here. There is such a vast pool of people to choose from in engineering in this part of the country.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Hrm ... I would consider negotiating if you're in a high demand field. In 2004 I started working for my corporation at $51k. Tack on 7 years of inflation and other factors, I'd say you should get at least $60k.

Though, do remember the economy is really sucking right now.

It also depends on your field. Civil and Mechanical engineering start out as low as $45k and Petrochemical engineers can start out as high as $85k. Aerospace is also another big pay kind, as are software engineers.

I'd consider researching where your offer stands in relation to other fields and your own by going to well known websites like glassdoor and salary.com.

That said, $51k will afford you about a $800/mo rent with a normal car and some conveniences and occasional going out. It's not a bad offer. Depending on where its located you can get a nice 2 br house in the burbs or a 1 bedroom studio in north seattle or downtown, it varies widely.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 PM

76 posts, read 258,062 times
Generally speaking, that's a reasonable offer for a fresh engineering grad. As eskercurve pointed out, it really depends what type of engineering you are getting into.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercenter View Post
in terms of taxes you'll still be subject to all of the federal ones (social security, medicare etc etc). wasn't sure what you meant by "basic pay"
thanks for the info. i meant basic pay as in the 50k offered. wasn't too sure about taxes; have yet to go through all the info on the irs site

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
If you're fresh out of college, that is a reasonable offer. Congrats on getting the job too. Competition in engineering has been stiff out here. There is such a vast pool of people to choose from in engineering in this part of the country.
thanks i'm really glad to have the job so early on.

in general i'd just like to know if it is low enough than avg starting pay to ask for something more around average, as i haven't started work and need to start before i can use skills/experience as leverage to negotiate.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
The offer sounds very low to me. Depends on many things - what degrees (BS, MS, PhD)? what is your degree in? Where did you go to school? Does it include full benefits, moving expenses? You need to realize starting low makes it very hard to get a more reasonable salary through promotions/COL.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
The offer sounds very low to me. Depends on many things - what degrees (BS, MS, PhD)? what is your degree in? Where did you go to school? Does it include full benefits, moving expenses? You need to realize starting low makes it very hard to get a more reasonable salary through promotions/COL.
I've a bachelor in mechanical eng.

moving expenses are partly covered, but not too sure about benefits. trying to get details on it.

how would one define full benefits?

yeah, i thought of the starting low rising slow problem which is why i'm considering negotiation. but then i'm also keen to keep the job. :/

Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemist View Post
how would one define full benefits?
:/
Medical insurance, dental insurance, retirement benefits, 401K matching, vacation, sick leave, educational expenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area