Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM

277 posts, read 442,152 times

Advertisements

Ira - We will definitely make it a point to go to that place for breakfast when we're there in a couple months!

As for that apartment.. the smaller ones are either Partial water or Partial city views. The full water is $300 more, but the plain 1 bed full city view is even more expensive. I don't get it?

I'm looking at some apartments in Upper Queen Anne, but for whatever reason none of them are pet friendly. And well.. no way would I give up my 65lb lap dog (HA!).

But for those who've been or live in West Seattle. Do you have any opinions or know about these three places: Link, Mural, California on Strata on California? Those were the 3 that were in our budget range that looked nice and not too over the top.

Hemlock - I will so gladly trade having to keep the heat on than having to keep the a/c on at all times. It's so muggy and hot here it's disgusting. It's 9pm, dark, and the feels like temp is 93 degrees with 80% humidity. Add mosquitoes and stupid little nats on top of that and it's basically like living in hell for 10 out of 12 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
But for those who've been or live in West Seattle. Do you have any opinions or know about these three places: Link, Mural, California on Strata on California? Those were the 3 that were in our budget range that looked nice and not too over the top.

Of the three places you mentioned, Mural has the best location as far as walking to restaurants, bars, pizzerias, bakeries, etc. The other two might be a couple of minutes closer to downtown if you were driving( closer to the bridge via Fauntleroy Way)but Mural would be closer to the Junction's bus stop to downtown. The other two, being closer to Fauntleroy Way, might have a little traffic noise.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM

Thank you! I think Mural is at the top of the list for West Seattle so far. I'm dying a little bit on the inside about the 10 day forecast you guys have. Trade???

Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
No trades. You're looking at the best time of the year for our weather and we have to wait a long time for this sliver of the year. The rain starts coming in November, by April we're wondering what the sun looks like and by June we're downright grumpy. If you doubt it, read the date stamps on the weather threads. Finally we get to this time and we forget all about it because it's so beautiful. And no complaints about Fall either because it's still so nice and the cool air and colors go perfectly with pumpkins. But rain from November to June is a lot longer than you think. You either don't mind, get used to it or flee while exclaiming that Seattleites sure are passive-aggressive.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
Add mosquitoes and stupid little nats on top of that and it's basically like living in hell for 10 out of 12 months.
Don't forget the fire ants and love bugs!!! Oh yeah, the "palmetto" bugs too. We moved to the Seattle area from Orlando over four years ago. No regrets!

Lynn

Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Florida to Seattle? Good lord, why?

Want some advice? Buy a good coffeemaker and get some gay neighbors. Presto, Seattle.

Then go to the beach and chill.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM

Seacove - I actually LIKE gloomy weather..it makes me and my pale skin happy.

Thankfully I haven't seen one ant hill in our community (the lawn people are really good about controlling them), but love bugs? They are disgusting, awful, and I love having to wash my car EVERY. DAY. to keep them from ruining the paint. After driving across the street. Ugh!

I have 2 sets of gay neighbors, an awesome coffeemaker and I hate the beach, lol.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
Seacove - I actually LIKE gloomy weather
When I drove all the way to Florida with my clothes and essentials in the car (sold everything else) I never thought I'd say that, but I often look forward to an overcast day. It also cuts down on the a/c bill. However, I wouldn't want to experience several days or weeks without sunshine. NH was beautiful, but I remember the long, cold winters. The best thing about FL is that housing is cheap. (in many areas, not all)

I'm surprised the OP mentioned earning a lot less in Seattle. I guess it depends on your field. I made more in 1993 (my last full year in NH) than I've made in any year since I moved to FL with the exception of a couple of $50+ years during the housing boom, but I was working 60 hours a week.

Wish Seattle wasn't such a long drive. Oh, I just checked the weather in Seattle. As of Sat, Sept 3 at 5:00 it is 72 and sunny. Forecast for the next several days is upper 70s, low 80s, mostly clear. Sounds great to me!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 PM

I've actually enjoyed the rain and overcast this week. I was sad to wake up to sunny skies this morning .

Well, my husband has looked into the fire departments out there, but every state has different requirements. Just to be a Paramedic (in the sense of getting hired off the bat out there as one), he'd have to be registered nationally. Apparently it's not an easy test to pass at all (and coming from him that's saying something) and the test is in October or November, so not a lot of time to study. Otherwise, he can wait until we get out there and take the state test when it's offered which would be easier. He's looked into Chief level jobs, but 99% of the time even though they take applications, it's always promoted in house.

We have a screenprinting and embroidery business that he's decided is going to become his main focus. So it'll be quite a pay cut from what he's making now, but certainly liveable. I'm in retail management, and looking at what's available now, the pay out there is higher, so we'll at least have that. And whatever I can do with my photography business. But as a whole, it'll be less income. Great way to reign in my shopping habit! HA!

Yeeeeah. REALLY jealous of that weather forecast. I'm waiting for the day when the news mentions the first *cold front* of the season. I will be jumping up and down with joy and probably have to take that day(s) off so I can just sit outside and enjoy it.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times
MafHoney, sent you a Direct Message so check for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: