Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 16,783 times

Advertisements

If it was just me I'd sell all my stuff, pack up my car, take a nice road trip and see where I land.

That is not my reality anymore though and I have two small children to consider. AZ was only supposed to be a temporary place and has since turned into something much longer since my husband passed.

We had long been talking about trying to get up to Ft Lewis because we thought we'd be happier in the Pacific Northwest. I'm now seriously considering moving up to attend school and have mainly been thinking about living in the surrounding Seattle area and commuting into the city for school. I have also considered living more "in between" Tacoma and Seattle.

My kids are too little for school so I don't have to make that a consideration. I consider myself socially liberal, fiscally a bit conservative. I do have friends/aquaintances to help me out a little so I won't be totally lost hopefully but all this online research has left me coming up short still so I've decided to make a solo trip up there and do some research.

Can I get honest input about decent areas to live as a single mother/student? I have steady income and would like to know what a decent 3 bedroom place with a yard for my kids to play in would run me in rent. I'm just not emotionally ready to buy a place or commit to owning a place. I'm hoping to maybe be accessing the city about 3 times a week for school, but otherwise I don't need to live in the city proper.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

I also forgot to say...If I did live in a surrounding neighborhood I'd love something that has more of a european feel to it, or just a NON AZ feel to it lol...parks/shops that we could actually walk/bike to would be great. I do own a vehicle and it's convenient but I'd love to be in an area where it wasn't the ONLY way to get somewhere. Everything is sprawled out here, and it's impossible to bring your toddler outside in July, they turn beet red in 5 minutes. Would love to not rely on so much AC like i do here.

Not necessarily looking for that picket fence type town, I'm much more open than that, also not opposed to anything blue collar, but I can afford to and would like to live somewhere that is clean, safe, well kept, and a good place for kids.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 PM

21 posts, read 68,716 times
I moved to the Seattle area as a widowed single mom, although my son is quite a bit older than your kids. The PNW has been a good place to land and heal. A change a scenery was helpful and it really is beautiful here.

Don't know what your price range is, and it will probably be much more expensive in Seattle than in AZ. The eastside is a good place for a family. I don't think there are many places around here with a European feel, but there are many pleasant neighborhoods. If you want a place with some character West Seattle would be a good place to look.

Don't know what school you are thinking of, but you might want to consider WWU in Bellingham. It is a bit colder and windier there than in Seattle, but it is a fun quirky community that seems family friendly.

Since it won't be permanent don't stress too much over getting the neighborhood just right, just find someplace nice enough and figure it out when you are up to it. When the time comes you will know what is right for you.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. If you don't mind "East and West Seattle consists of what neighborhoods?

Also How the in between waterfront towns like Normady Park and Des Moines? Too sleepy?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusewrites View Post
If you don't mind "East and West Seattle consists of what neighborhoods?

Also How the in between waterfront towns like Normady Park and Des Moines? Too sleepy?
When the above poster was referring to the Eastside, she was referring to the area/suburbs east of Seattle (Bellevue, Kirkland, Issaquah, Redmond, et. c). This area has some of the state's best school districts, very family oriented and can be pretty pricey. It's not really "in between" Seattle and Tacoma.

West Seattle is it's own town, also one of Seattle's trendy areas. There's lots of neighborhoods within W. Seattle (Fauntleroy, Delridge, Alki, Gennesee, Admiral, and Junction are the popular neighborhoods). It's a very popular area and the Seattleites like to come out and hang out on the beaches. Pretty easy to get around, using a bus.

Normandy Park can't really be referred as a waterfront town because it doesn't have a town center that either borders or is near to the water. It is by the water; its citizens have beach rights. Has a small beach park. The schools are the better ones of its school district. Definitely can be considered as "sleepy", it's retain a sense of remoteness. But is very accessible to Seattle DT, with it's own "private highway" (SR 509). A bit more car-centric, but Burien is the next town over where they have the big bus stop with a stream of buses taking you to DT and other places. Burien is the place where you're likely to be shopping for basics, like groceries (they even have Trader Joes).

Des Moines is a bit more lively than NP. Got a cute little downtown core, which is pretty quaint. It's got the Marina, where it has a long dock and people like to crabbing/fishing off it. Also has very easy access to Saltwater State Park. There is a community college not too far off (Highline CC); you also have Mt. Rainier public pool.

I would also suggest North Tacoma and University Place as another viable place to check out. Tacoma got the Point Defiance Zoo/Aquarium, glass museuem, et. c. Tacoma Mama | A locally grown guide to Tacoma, Washington is a good site to check out

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Thank you I appreciate the responses! I am excited about getting up there but want to be well prepared for the kids sake. I know I can move again if the first town or neighborhood isn't the best fit but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I guess that's why I'm going to visit early November.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
West Seattle isn't really it's own town. It's part of the city of Seattle, but feels like it's own town since you cross a bridge to get there from downtown Seattle. Parts of West Seattle are great from the " stuff to walk to" aspect and also parts are incredibly pretty. I like the Alaska Junction neighborhood in West Seattle. Fun without being crowded/crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area