Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 31,879 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job that would mean a relocation to Seattle. I'm excited about Seattle but will be most sorry to leave my neighborhood in Brooklyn.
I know there are a lot of New York transplants out there so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Seattle neighborhoods that correspond to the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Seattle is so different from Brooklyn that you can't really compare neighborhoods. Brooklyn is just a lot more dense, so there's more to do, more restaurants, etc. Seattle, even in it's more dense parts outside of downtown, has a lot more trees, is a lot cleaner, etc
But OK- Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. a neighborhood that is architecturally significant and was once elegant, is culturally and racially diverse, was working class for a long time, hasn't quite gentrified but does have a lot of creative types. Do I have that right? Some of this is from Brooklyn relatives, some I remember from having an uncle who taught at Pratt. It's also on a hill.
A Seattle neighborhood that might most closely resemble Clinton Hill is Columbia City. It's got the diversity and the creative types, and is old by Seattle neighborhoods and has some cool old buildings.
Another one is the Central District. The CD was for for a long time predominantly African-American, and Jewish before that. Also has a lot of cool old buildings. Still perceived as dangerous and high crime, but in reality is much nicer and safer than it used to be.
Lastly, Georgetown. Never was elegant, but it might have the largest percentage of creative types of any neighborhood in the city. It has more old brick buildings than other Seattle hoods. it's a fun neighborhood, a mix of residential and industrial, has a Farmer's and art market. There's nothing prestigious about Georgetown, it's not especially sought after, it's a little far from downtown. Still, it reminds me more of NYC neighborhoods than a lot of other Seattle neighborhoods. Maybe it's the brick buildings. Maybe it's the mix of industrial, office, and residential, and maybe it's the vitality.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Wow, Ira. You nailed Clinton Hill exactly. In addition to the racial diversity and creative people, Clinton Hill FEELS like a neighborhood. I know everybody on the block, people say hello on the street when they pass, which can be rare in NY. Do you think this is true of the neighborhoods listed?

My own research here and other places had turned up the CD as a possibility but I wanted to hear it from someone with a little knowledge. Not as familiar with Columbia City or Georgetown so I'll check those out.

I understand that while Seattle is pedestrian friendly, it's still more of a car town that NY, but how would you rate those neighborhoods in terms of getting around without a car?

Thanks a lot. Really helpful.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
Wow, Ira. You nailed Clinton Hill exactly. In addition to the racial diversity and creative people, Clinton Hill FEELS like a neighborhood. I know everybody on the block, people say hello on the street when they pass, which can be rare in NY. Do you think this is true of the neighborhoods listed?

My own research here and other places had turned up the CD as a possibility but I wanted to hear it from someone with a little knowledge. Not as familiar with Columbia City or Georgetown so I'll check those out.

I understand that while Seattle is pedestrian friendly, it's still more of a car town that NY, but how would you rate those neighborhoods in terms of getting around without a car?

Thanks a lot. Really helpful.
Getting around without a car:
CD: Lots of buses to DT Seattle and Capitol Hill, depending on where in the CD. If you're at the western end of the CD, you can walk or bicycle to DT. For that "neighborhoody"feel, also throw in Madrona, at the east end of the CD. The CD has an independent cinema and a couple of supermarkets, and some restaurants, but restaurants are better on nearby Capitol Hill and in Madrona.

Columbia City:It's on the light rail line, w trains every 10 minutes, and a 20 minute trip. It's the southend, and if you're looking for diversity, you can't look in the north end, no matter how many expensive houses and hipsters they have there. Good restaurants, neighborhoody feel, good bakery, good ice cream place, but like Clinton Hill, you don't have to go too far if you're looking for a worse neighborhood, Columbia City is an island of coolness surrounded by kinda rundown areas on three sides, and more expensive to the east towards the lake.

Georgetown: Has bus service, but not a ton. No real supermarket in the neighborhood that I'm aware of, but good stores, restaurants, galleries, microbreweries.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Sorry for the barrage of questions. But how would you rate the schools in these areas? One three year old and another on the way.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Quote:
Sorry for the barrage of questions. But how would you rate the schools in these areas? One three year old and another on the way.
Then I'd cross off Georgetown and Columbia City from your list. I'd consider a neighborhood north of the ship canal, but it won't feel anything like Brooklyn. Ballard, Wallingford, and Fremont are denser than other places, but still nothing like NY.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 PM

In general, Seattle schools suck. Not all of them, of course, but on an administration level they always seem to be running from one crisis to another. I don't anything about schools in Georgetown. Columbia City has some bad schools, but they also have Orca K-8, which is loved by students, parents, and the community..They also have a garden program there and have an annual plant sale. The CD also has bad schools, but depending on what part of the CD you live in, your child could also go to either Stevens or Lowell,which are fine schools. Both of those are on Capitol Hill, but the attendance areas include parts of the CD. Madrona Elementary is not a good one.
The schools in the north end tend to be better, but a lot of parents choose to either live outside the city, and trade the vibrancy and diversity for better schools, or send their kids to private schools.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
people say hello on the street when they pass....Do you think this is true of the neighborhoods listed?
I think it's true for pretty much the whole state.

Either WA residents find me really approachable (in person), or people just really like saying "good morning" etc, all the time.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I get more smiles than hellos, but I attribute this to my dashing good looks and disarming demeanor.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:03 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Lastly, Georgetown. Never was elegant, but it might have the largest percentage of creative types of any neighborhood in the city. It has more old brick buildings than other Seattle hoods. it's a fun neighborhood, a mix of residential and industrial, has a Farmer's and art market. There's nothing prestigious about Georgetown, it's not especially sought after, it's a little far from downtown. Still, it reminds me more of NYC neighborhoods than a lot of other Seattle neighborhoods. Maybe it's the brick buildings. Maybe it's the mix of industrial, office, and residential, and maybe it's the vitality.
I really like Georgetown, especially the Jules Maes Saloon...I actually went down there a couple of times to check the area out because I was thinking about looking into moving there. If I am not totally mistaken the entire Georgetown is really only the row of brick houses opposite the old Georgetown brewery building. Is this correct? There are a couple of cafes and the trailer park market in a couple of side streets but that's it. Everything else in the surroundings appears to be industrial estate type buidlings. I took the bus there and when walking around in the dark, apart from the street mentioned above, the area appears to be totally dead.

As I said I went down there by bus, so I might have missed areas. Did I or have I seen most of Georgetown that is important? If I haven't I'll go back there again on the weekend to do some more exploration :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area