Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that the main reason why a bridge idea has failed everytime, is that folks want to build the bridge to King County or the Ruston area in Tacoma.
Why not just make it to the Kitsap side? I don't think you would have a huge population boom that would turn it into a Mercer Island like town.
Also, the water, between Vashon and Kitsap, is not nearly as large as between Tacoma/Vashon or King County/Vashon.
I'd like to go over there just to visit sometime, but a 20 dollar charge now is just to steep. Can't imagine living there and having to pay that every day, which is why it seems to me most people who live there work from home or just put up with at least 2 bus rides and a ferry to Seattle.
At least, you wouldn't feel like you're in a prison and if you needed say something like an emergency service to a hospital, you wouldn't have to depend on a helicopter.
If the residents there are that concerned about growth, toll it at least 5 dollars....I'm sure that would discourage some people. But a 5 dollar toll is better than a 20 dollar ferry (well, at least 19).
I've never understood why, even though they can have a say, the residents seem to have the only say on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM

134 posts, read 243,099 times
It will never happen because the residents are absolutely opposed to even the idea. Most of them moved to the island(s) because they...want to live on an island. The separation is part of the charm and allure. If they didn't want to live on an unconnected island they'd live on Fox or whatever.

As for why they have the main say in this it's because bridges are very expensive, and the WSDOT is not going to spend a couple hundred million+ to build a bridge that the residents don't even want. There are lots of other road projects people DO want that are in dire need of being done. And why wouldn't the actual residents of the island have the main say in this? Who else's opinion would be more important?

It will never happen.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Given the choice of where to spend that money and the number of residents that it would serve I don't think WSDOT is going to push for a Vashon bridge any time soon.

I do think that we'll see a bridge across the central part of Puget Sound some time before 2050, though.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Given the choice of where to spend that money and the number of residents that it would serve I don't think WSDOT is going to push for a Vashon bridge any time soon.

I do think that we'll see a bridge across the central part of Puget Sound some time before 2050, though.
Actually, if you build it towards the Kitsap side, I don't think it would be that much, comparatively speaking to say, like the Narrows or rebuilding 520.
and again, maybe the residents would be more open to a bridge, going west bound.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Actually, if you build it towards the Kitsap side, I don't think it would be that much, comparatively speaking to say, like the Narrows or rebuilding 520.
and again, maybe the residents would be more open to a bridge, going west bound.
Except who's going to pay it? Someone still needs to put up the start-up money (with the toll paying the rest.) Most of those V.I. residents do not want a bridge. I'm pretty sure Kitsap County is not going to want to be taxed for it, especially since Vashon Island isn't even part of their county.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,978 times
Islands with bridges to the mainland ruin their island feel. Absolutely slaughter it really. I've always said that a bridged island is really more like a peninsula. If I wanted to live on an island (and sometimes I really do entertain the idea, even on Vashon if not the San Juans) there is no way in hell that I would choose a bridged island. Why? Because that just isn't a true island with a true island feel for me. I'm sure most people feel the same way, and don't want their true island feel ruined by a bridge.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM

123 posts, read 245,001 times
Smile Bridge...Never

I grew up on Vashon. Stayed until age 20.
The bridge thing goes back long before my birth 60 years ago.
It will never happen...never...
And frankly I am glad it won't.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Business | Vashon Island Bridge Idea About To Sink -- Instead, Panel Poised To Favor New Ferries, 2Nd Narrows Bridge | Seattle Times Newspaper Interesting article from back in 92 when they did a study about a bridge from Burien to Vashon to Kitsap. The residents of Vashon were furious with the Idea. Honestly I think it would be good for the future of the region and maybe something can go up before 2030. The one thing I can't understand is how an Island of 10,000 people can have such a voice in this matter. Like he said it would just become like mercer island but the difference is Vashon island is so large at 37 sq miles it shouldn't have a drastic effect on the Island. Just zone out area near the road were upper class neighbors would go and keep the rest of the Island semi rural. It's would cause I huge population boom. I understand why the people wouldn't want it but it would be good for the stability of the Seattle area and puget sound region. Many plans have been made for this but there seems to be only 2 hurdles, 1. The cost (which now may be justified) and 2. The people of Vashon Island.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 13,015 times
Default Vashon Island Bridge

The folks on the island have "a say" because they own the island. Why would private property owners (with many private roads) should have a bridge forced on them to make it easier for the motorcyclists and car tourists to invade their chosen (and paid for) quietude? How would that serve the public good?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 13,015 times
Default Vashon Island Bridge

The folks on the island have "a say" because they own the island. Why would private property owners (with many private roads) should have a bridge forced on them to make it easier for the motorcyclists and car tourists to invade their chosen (and paid for) quietude? How would that serve the public good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area