Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 112,305 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a question about the cost of living for Vashon Island in City Data's profile for the city/island. It states that the 2008 cost of living index in Vashon Island is 120.3 but (for comparison) Bainbridge Island is 108.9.

It seems from all other accounts that Vashon Island should be alot more affordable than Bainbridge Island. Can anyone solve this puzzle? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Also insights into barometric pressure much appreciated

Bueller....Bueller...?

It is true that Vashon Island is a pretty affordable place to live right? Perhaps on par with the national average?

I also have another question about the rise and fall of barometric pressure in the Seattle area. (I am researching for a move some time in the future - when that would be is TBD.)

My question is, with the fairly constant precip going on, are there drastic changes in barometric pressure? Or because much of your rain is misty, is it relatively stable.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM

368 posts, read 695,519 times
Vashon is a very short ferry ride to W. Seattle, and then another 10 minute drive to downtown. Not surprised it's more expensive than Bainbridge. Have no idea about barometric pressure.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
House prices are generally less expensive on Vashon, but there are some very large estate type places and that may skew the numbers. For example, if Vashon has 9 houses that cost 400,000 and 1 house that costs 4 million, and Bainbridge has 9 houses that costs 500,000, and 1 that costs 2 million, Vashon's "average" house price is higher.

But for the same house, a house on Vashon would cost less.
But...you can drive off of Bainbridge, and you have to ferry off of Vashon.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
House prices are generally less expensive on Vashon, but there are some very large estate type places and that may skew the numbers. For example, if Vashon has 9 houses that cost 400,000 and 1 house that costs 4 million, and Bainbridge has 9 houses that costs 500,000, and 1 that costs 2 million, Vashon's "average" house price is higher.

But for the same house, a house on Vashon would cost less.
But...you can drive off of Bainbridge, and you have to ferry off of Vashon.

Thanks for the info! That does make sense. Now does anyone have any information on barometric pressure? My husband and I get big headaches and also general feelings of unease, or that something's not right, just before a big storm (kind of like dogs I suppose).

Thanks, all!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 PM

30 posts, read 110,018 times
Default Barometric Pressure

I have read that Seattle is the migraine capital of the US because of the constant fronts that come in but I've also read of people's migraines improving upon moving to Seattle. I'm no meterologist but typically with barometric pressure changes there is a significant change in temp and I don't see alot of that in Seattle but I'm not living there yet so...
I know the times I have spent visiting there I did not experience any migraines.
I hope someone living there can help with this matter.

SummerShi

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,259 times
SummerShi - Here's some data on Barometric Pressure for Seattle, courtesy of Wolfram Alpha.

http://www06.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=barometric+pressure+in+seattle%2C+wa

Wait for a second for the historical data to load. You can use the query "Barometric pressure in XXXX" for any city that it recognizes.

Registered to drop this comment - enjoying all the info about Seattle here.

Last edited by rshuck; 07-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Broken Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area