Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM

53 posts, read 117,871 times

Advertisements

So apparently I was not forgotten with my bank! I have an interview for a job within my company tomorrow night. It would be a promotion if I get it. I'll be striving for the position no doubt, but they have also expressed that they would keep me on as a lateral move should they feel they find a better candidate. So far, so good it seems.

I don't want to jinx anything yet though, so as far as I know, I am still no better just yet for going out west.

Fun question: I know the Seattle Freeze is a constant thing that's brought up on these forums. From the interactions I got when I was there, I can certainly see that being true. However, being from the south where everyone literally talks to each other, how much of an adjustment would it be for me? It should be noted that the number one place I want to live is NYC because I basically feel alive and at home in that city (both the people and the lifestyle). The only reason I want to move to a slightly smaller city like Seattle is it'd be a good beginning for me before I make a huge and drastic change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfldnet View Post
I am moving from Springfield, Illinois. I was stuck in a minimum wage security job for two years that had nothing to do with the skills I acquired in multimedia communication. My last day at that job is April 15. I have some money saved up, what if I just packed some bags and drove out to the Seattle area? What would you suggest be my first stop once I get there?

I am talking to real estate agents and mortgage finance companies about pre-qualifying for a home loan which is very much less expensive than renting, does anyone have a good estimate for how long it would take to get qualified and finally close on a house?
Honestly... Look for a job first before even thinking about buying a house. Once the job situation is all settled, look at what you can really afford and take a year in getting to know your targeted areas.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk423 View Post
So apparently I was not forgotten with my bank! I have an interview for a job within my company tomorrow night. It would be a promotion if I get it. I'll be striving for the position no doubt, but they have also expressed that they would keep me on as a lateral move should they feel they find a better candidate. So far, so good it seems.

I don't want to jinx anything yet though, so as far as I know, I am still no better just yet for going out west.
Awesome! Sending good thoughts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk423 View Post
Fun question: I know the Seattle Freeze is a constant thing that's brought up on these forums. From the interactions I got when I was there, I can certainly see that being true. However, being from the south where everyone literally talks to each other, how much of an adjustment would it be for me? It should be noted that the number one place I want to live is NYC because I basically feel alive and at home in that city (both the people and the lifestyle). The only reason I want to move to a slightly smaller city like Seattle is it'd be a good beginning for me before I make a huge and drastic change.
You'll notice from the Seattle Freeze thread on this forum that there isn't even a real verdict on whether it exists. You could very well move here and make friends left and right and wonder what the heck is wrong with people who think the Seattle Freeze is real. Or... it could work the other way... you won't like the general culture/lifestyle here which leads you to hating the people here. Everyone is different and no one can really foretell if a move to Seattle will work/be good for you or not. We do not know if it even is going to be an adjustment for you.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM

23 posts, read 46,286 times
Re: Seattle Freeze - My experience in Seattle was that people were friendlier and more genuine there than here in Georgia. When I was there I had people give me free bus tickets, go out of their way to show me how to get somewhere, ask me where I'm from then have an hour long conversation, etc. But I've also lived in certain countries infamous for their stuck-up attitude and in comparison to that anywhere is friendly. It's a matter of perspective.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM

195 posts, read 377,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traversant View Post
Re: Seattle Freeze - My experience in Seattle was that people were friendlier and more genuine there than here in Georgia. When I was there I had people give me free bus tickets, go out of their way to show me how to get somewhere, ask me where I'm from then have an hour long conversation, etc. But I've also lived in certain countries infamous for their stuck-up attitude and in comparison to that anywhere is friendly. It's a matter of perspective.
I have seen no evidence of any Seattle Freeze so far either.

Everyone has been super-friendly and helpful (even when they do find out I moved here from California)

Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM

66 posts, read 125,549 times
A word of advice from a recruiter at my former job (she hired about 200 people a year so she's good): She said that if you want a transfer at your current employer for no other reason than to get the heck outta town, tell your employer that you spouse/significant other is getting a transfer to another city and you want to go with them. Just get your story straight before bringing it up to your manager. And she said not to use the needy/ sick parent line, it shows that you will have more on your mind than your job.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM

66 posts, read 125,549 times
Regarding the OP, why did you pick Seattle as a "warm-up" for NYC? In my experience they are worlds apart.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,174 times
I would go with #1 for a while yet. I'm moving to Seattle at the end of the year along with my girlfriend...at that point, we'll have $15,000 saved and even THAT amount is making me nervous, lol. $5,000 is definitely pushing it in my opinion (maybe not others').

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traversant View Post
Absolutely. We came here from D.C., where we found most people to be rude, abrasive, aggressive, and uptight. Out here, it's totally different. I mean, I don't have people going out of their way to want to be my friend, but you can strike up a conversation with someone in Seattle, and they don't act like you're wasting your precious, valuable time. They smile, they're gracious, they're helpful, and they're friendly. Much, much more laid back than the people in the D.C. area.

The only thing I can pick up on that maybe some people consider the "Seattle freeze" is that people don't necessarily go out of their way to chat it up with you. They'll leave you alone (which I am perfectly fine with), but when you do want to chat, it's generally a pleasant experience. That might strike someone as odd who lives in a gregarious place where people go out of their way to strike up conversations with you and treat you like a friend even if they've never met you before.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 PM

53 posts, read 117,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Awesome! Sending good thoughts out.

You'll notice from the Seattle Freeze thread on this forum that there isn't even a real verdict on whether it exists. You could very well move here and make friends left and right and wonder what the heck is wrong with people who think the Seattle Freeze is real. Or... it could work the other way... you won't like the general culture/lifestyle here which leads you to hating the people here. Everyone is different and no one can really foretell if a move to Seattle will work/be good for you or not. We do not know if it even is going to be an adjustment for you.
Excellent way to word it! I do remember from when I visited that everyone was very friendly to me. It was a little different though in regards to HOW they were friendly to me. I picked up that maybe finding a girlfriend in Seattle could prove difficult because I sensed a lot of people keep to themselves while at the same time reaching out to others (if only to point them to where the Space Needle is haha)

To answer why I chose Seattle vs. NYC: I've been to NYC 3 times now. I have a major crush on the city but we're not married yet. I think I need to have my career established a bit more and save a lot more before I can think of going to such a large city where poverty is as high you can get. Seattle is something extremely different from what I'm used to, but so far I liked my experience there, the best week vacation I've had ever.

Oh, and I had my interview with my employer last night! It lasted over 45 minutes and it seemed to go well. They told me they wished they could've met me in person but somehow they were wowed by my phone interview skills. Well, for phone interviews it's all about the tone of your voice and how positive you sound.

I'll hear back by Friday to see if I got the job and if I did.......I'm driving across the country very soon to Seattle!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: