Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times

Advertisements

The Landing has apartments called The Reserve and The Sanctuary. Both are pretty new. I've never been inside, but they're nice from the outside, and well located, walkable to the Boeing plant. The only thing the Landing seriously lacks is a supermarket. Downtown Renton is more of a mixed bag. The transit center attracts some weird people, and there's a newer apartment building adjacent to it. I'd probably avoid that one. But downtown Renton is fun. Some great places to eat and grab a beer, and it as a terrific pizza place. But some parts of downtown Renton are nicer than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricShook View Post
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like Renton may be a better bet than Tukwila. I'll be working at Boeing so I've looked at some apartments in Downtown Renton and a place called the Landing, which is right near the Boeing Plant.

Anyone have any thoughts on the the Landing vs. Downtown Renton?
"Right near"? They're essentially next door neighbors. One benefit of the Landing is that... well, you just walk to work and its right next to Gene Coulon Beach (you won't have to worry about parking ). You have Target, Fry's, Lowes and a movie theatre, right there in addition to a lot of chain eateries. Its only about 5 mins away from DT Renton.

Now living in DT Renton, you probably would prefer to drive-- or you can even bicycle (given it's all flat)-- to work. And in DT Renton, you would be closer to the grocery stores and the offering of this small downtown core. I mean, we are only talking areas minutes from each other, you're hardly going to be deprived of anything should you choose one over the other.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 14,303 times
Thanks for the helpful advice. The Landing sounds like it could be a good bet, because walking to work would be nice and there are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby. It sounds like downtown Renton and the light rail station are pretty easy to get to from there. What's parking like in downtown Renton and the Light Rail station, by the way?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on downtown Burien? Keep in mind I live out of state and I've never been to this area before (I went to Seattle 10 years ago but never been to South King County) so I'm totally unfamiliar. I'll be visiting for a couple of days at the end of the month, but it's good to get a sense of what the good options are. So far, the Landing is leading the pack.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Downtown Burien is awesome. You couldn't walk to work at Boeing, more like a 15 minute drive, but DT Burien is fun, lots of independent shops and eateries...
The light rail stop at Tukwila does have free parking, but it gets filled up. Most of the people around here take the bus, it's not considered a " low class" thing to do like it is in many places, and there are tons of buses from DT Renton to DT Seattle, which would be faster than the light rail( because you don't have to get to the rail station. If you really want to ride the rail, there are buses from DT Renton to the Rainier Beach light rail station, putting you a little closer to DT Seattle.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Downtown Burien is awesome. You couldn't walk to work at Boeing, more like a 15 minute drive, but DT Burien is fun, lots of independent shops and eateries...
The light rail stop at Tukwila does have free parking, but it gets filled up. Most of the people around here take the bus, it's not considered a " low class" thing to do like it is in many places, and there are tons of buses from DT Renton to DT Seattle, which would be faster than the light rail( because you don't have to get to the rail station. If you really want to ride the rail, there are buses from DT Renton to the Rainier Beach light rail station, putting you a little closer to DT Seattle.
How does DT Burien compare to the Landing and DT Renton? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each aside from proximity to work?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
DT Renton is a bit bigger and much more busy than DT Burien which is undergoing a revitalization. DT Renton has a quaint downtown core whereas Burien, while built out, has the main street thing going on. DT Renton also have more stores as well (edge: Sam's Club and Uwajimaya, a Japanese/Pan-Asian store). Renton's going to offer more cleaner and modern apartment/spaces than Burien.

DT Renton is close to Gene Coulon Beach (which is right next to the Boeing Plant), has River Days which are pretty fun (Renton River Days )

DT Burien is close to Seahurst Park, have their own community events going on as well: Burien Summer Events | Find Burien Summer Events and Festivals . Between Renton and Burien, I'd say Burien has better and closer access to DT Seattle. You wouldn't even be inclined to take the light rail as the buses are faster.

You might like Burien more than Renton... but you'd have to come and see which one vibes better with you.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
DT Renton is a bit bigger and much more busy than DT Burien which is undergoing a revitalization. DT Renton has a quaint downtown core whereas Burien, while built out, has the main street thing going on. DT Renton also have more stores as well (edge: Sam's Club and Uwajimaya, a Japanese/Pan-Asian store). Renton's going to offer more cleaner and modern apartment/spaces than Burien.

DT Renton is close to Gene Coulon Beach (which is right next to the Boeing Plant), has River Days which are pretty fun (Renton River Days )

DT Burien is close to Seahurst Park, have their own community events going on as well: Burien Summer Events | Find Burien Summer Events and Festivals . Between Renton and Burien, I'd say Burien has better and closer access to DT Seattle. You wouldn't even be inclined to take the light rail as the buses are faster.

You might like Burien more than Renton... but you'd have to come and see which one vibes better with you.
Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM

56 posts, read 143,091 times
Having lived in both Renton (Kennydale area) and Burien (walking distance to downtown), I wanted to give my opinion.

Personally I like both. Burien felt more urban to me, more city-like, has a little grittiness to it, but a great sense of community, especially with all the local events (and I liked that I could easily catch a bus to go to downtown Seattle), and Renton feels more suburban with that "old charm" (I love all the antique shops in downtown Renton, and downtown has a quirky artsy vibe to it, in my opinion).

Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM

80 posts, read 193,060 times
I work in Tukwila. I would not live here. If you want to be close to work there are some decent/nice areas of Renton that are not horribly expensive.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM

157 posts, read 218,353 times
Anything in Tukwila West of I-5 is especially sketchy. The Landing is a nice area, though a bit pricey IMO. But it is conveniently located to everything you'd need for sure. Renton is definitely the better choice if you don't mind paying the extra $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area