Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Totally understand and agree. It's exhausting and almost pointless sometimes to get into these discussions. When I don't reply to these sometimes it's not because I agree but because it can be such a waste of time to debate with some people who will only get more heated. It's gotten really out of hand before and really, no one's mind was changed. Most see this area and know intuitively why it needs to be protected. Others will tell you to your face they don't care, they're here for the money then out of here.
There's a lot of beautiful world out there. And most of that world doesn't need to do things like try to "ban plastic bags" or some other utterly absurd attempt to feel better about oneself.

It's arrogant to think that humanity can defeat the Earth. Hell, it's the epitome of arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's arrogant to think that humanity can defeat the Earth. Hell, it's the epitome of arrogance.
I know, it's ridiculous.

More Chinese cities release air pollution data | Asia News – Politics, Media, Education | Asian Correspondent

Last edited by Count David; 06-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: photo removed (poss. copyright viol)

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 8,884 times
Having just moved to the Seattle area, I was surprised that for a region that seems so invested in the green/recycling/composting, etc, movements, the groceries automatically start packing stuff in plastic for you. What gives??

Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
And you think that will defeat the Earth? Seriously? It will defeat us before it defeats the planet. The planet will be fine.

BTW, ever been to China? I'm guessing no. That's not how Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou typically looks. At all. It's not to say those cities don't like depressing and decrepit as hell, but that's mostly due to architecture and planning. And I'm reasonably certain if we banned plastic bags worldwide, it wouldn't change the smog levels in your point of reference one lick.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And I'm reasonably certain if we banned plastic bags worldwide, it wouldn't change the smog levels in your point of reference one lick.
You're the one that cited cellphones, Prius', Starbucks and Chipolte. Your position is it would be arrogant to suggest we could wreck the Earth, I disagree and your circular logic response goes back to plastics won't cause air pollution.

It may seem like a good idea to you to see how far we can go with the environment just so we can then spend billions cleaning up the mess later but to most, that's not really logical. We probably need more biodegradable methods to dispose of dog poop.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
You're the one that cited cellphones, Prius', Starbucks and Chipolte. Your position is it would be arrogant to suggest we could wreck the Earth, I disagree and your circular logic response goes back to plastics won't cause air pollution.

It may seem like a good idea to you to see how far we can go with the environment just so we can then spend billions cleaning up the mess later but to most, that's not really logical. We probably need more biodegradable methods to dispose of dog poop.
Cape Town, South Africa: Population 3.5 million-ish. No plastic bag ban:

Seattle, Washington: Population 600,000 - plastic bags banned:

(Yes, yes, I know. However, felt like indulging in Seacove's twisted logic).

Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Really dumb. Also, could you post the link to where that Seattle pic was taken?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times
Quote:
Really dumb. Also, could you post the link to where that Seattle pic was taken?
How's it dumb? You took the worst of a single situation (in China) and used it to try and move forward your point. He did the same.

Does that make you dumb too?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
How's it dumb? You took the worst of a single situation (in China) and used it to try and move forward your point. He did the same.

Does that make you dumb too?
According to Xanathos' logic, there's no such thing as the worst of a single situation. He said it could not be done and to suggest it could was the epitome of arrogance. Would you like a different city? A different type of pollution? Is that your position, that it was the wrong type? Because Xanathos also threw in cellphones, Prius', Starbucks and eating at Chipolte - in response to plastic bags.

I know San Antonio doesn't mind trash everywhere, maybe you're just used to it but I seem to remember your complaining about it?

As for the picture used, is that Seattle? I'd just like to see the link.

And yes, I'm dumb. I know how pointless this is and yet I responded.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-18-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
According to Xanathos' logic, there's no such thing as the worst of a single situation. He said it could not be done and to suggest it could was the epitome of arrogance. Would you like a different city? A different type of pollution? Is that your position, that it was the wrong type? Because Xanathos also threw in cellphones, Prius', Starbucks and eating at Chipolte - in response to plastic bags.

I know San Antonio doesn't mind trash everywhere, maybe you're just used to it but I seem to remember your complaining about it?

As for the picture used, is that Seattle? I'd just like to see the link.

And yes, I'm dumb. I know how pointless this is and yet I responded.
The techie who "works for a large tech company" who can't figure out how to view an image source. Riiiiight. BTW, that's Alki, since you can't figure out how to view an image source.

As to the rest of your literary detritus (which is essentially what it is), you're the one who couldn't grasp what it was I was saying with regards to the extreme activist disease and decided to try and lump it into one item (a bag ban). That's your failing, not the rest of the board.

It also seems you're the only one who didn't grasp that I was using images to be just as ridiculous as the one you put up in order to illustrate how useless your argument was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area