Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

Hi! I promise I have looked through at least 50 pages on this forum, because I know how annoying repetitive questions can be. I think I have figured out through everyone's help on good areas to live in. However, I have a different kind of moving question.

My husband has a few job interviews in the Seattle and Renton area and we'll be moving from Ohio. Fortunately or UNfortunately, however you look at it, my job allows a lot of flexibility. I teach private voice and piano lessons, so my job allows me to start-up wherever we move.

With that in mind, I am wondering what areas in Seattle would I be able to start up a successful private voice and piano studio (mainly voice, piano is only taught in conjunction with voice). We were lucky to find a wonderful area in Ohio where the middle and high school here is very competitive when it comes to show choir. Are there any schools like that in the Seattle/Renton area?

I hate to sound snobbish, but I would prefer to move to an area where people can afford lessons, as my lessons are not cheap; slightly above average, but I think it's well worth it

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My husband is flying out in a few weeks for the interviews and I'd him to look at a few places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
You're in luck. Since he'll be working out of Renton (the southern tip of the East side), and since all of the money in this area is concentrated on the East side, you'll have your pick of locales if you want to start up the business in an area of affluence. Bellevue and Mercer Island are probably your best bets, though Redmond would probably also be a good spot, given all the Microsoft workers imported from Asia that live out there.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
That's not exactly true about " all the wealth concentrated on the eastside". There are plenty of very wealthy people in Seattle proper, and successful voice teachers on both sides of the lake. Also, you didn't say that your husband would be working in Renton, just that it was a possibility, right?
Anyway, a few places where a voice studio might be located:
NE Seattle( Ravenna, Wedgwood, Laurelhurst)..Eckstein Middle School, Roosevelt High School are nearby.
Bellevue: Bellevue has four well regarded high schools and is fairly centrally located for all things eastside.
Lake Forest Park/Shoreline: Shorecrest High School has an award winning and well travelled choir.
Madison Park/Madrona: If you could make yourself known to some of the private schools ( like Bush, Epiphany, and St. Therese), in addition to the public McIlvira, these are neighborhoods with expensive houses and vibrant retail cores.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,336 times
Thank you so much for your impute. I can definitely narrow down our choices with this.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 AM

138 posts, read 463,634 times
Speaking as someone who has looked around for good voice lessons on the east side - I didn't come up with much. I ended up trying a woman out who moved here from LA that I liked very much but our "meet in the middle" point was N. Seattle which is still a 20 minute drive for me (she lives in Ravenna).

You should be fine wherever you decide to set up shop as long as you distinguish yourself from the existing music schools. What makes you special or better than the security of going with a corporate brand that (hopefully) has vetted their instructors? I think the hard part is really getting the word of mouth out that someone has found a fantastic voice teacher and other people should check you out because you are SO WORTH IT!

Do you have a certain style or methodology that you specialize in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area