Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 PM

35 posts, read 113,959 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted before about moving to Seattle but have decided for a more affordable option within an hour or two's drive. I'm a 27 year old guy, single with no kids, have a car, some college but no diploma and 20 grand saved, plus a solid work history.
My top choices are Port Townsend, Bellingham and Olympia but are they really expensive and could I find work? I know Spokane and the tri cities are affordable but is there a decent town near Seattle where I could get by for a while looking for a job?
I'm moving from Salt Lake and want to plant roots and spend possibly the rest of my life in WA but don't want to end up broke and homeless. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

346 posts, read 968,531 times
Bremerton is cheap, and you are a 40 minute ferry ride away from Seattle.

What type of work do you do?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbear View Post
Hi, I posted before about moving to Seattle but have decided for a more affordable option within an hour or two's drive. I'm a 27 year old guy, single with no kids, have a car, some college but no diploma and 20 grand saved, plus a solid work history.
My top choices are Port Townsend, Bellingham and Olympia but are they really expensive and could I find work? I know Spokane and the tri cities are affordable but is there a decent town near Seattle where I could get by for a while looking for a job?
I'm moving from Salt Lake and want to plant roots and spend possibly the rest of my life in WA but don't want to end up broke and homeless. Thanks for any input!
... And what is "affordable"? This means nothing to us without specific numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post
Bremerton is cheap, and you are a 40 minute ferry ride away from Seattle.
No. A regular ferry ride is an hour from Bremerton to Seattle. Perhaps you are thinking of Bainbridge Island (not cheap, though). They either started or will soon start a Bremerton-Seattle passenger-only ferry which is suppose to be a 30 minutes ride.

The ferry life is expensive (walk-on is cheaper, but still... up to $7/day can eat up a lot) and tedious (having to depend on the schedule).

Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... And what is "affordable"? This means nothing to us without specific numbers.
Well, if you don't know what "affordable" is, how will specific numbers help you? You know what I'm saying? Specific numbers will mean affordable for some and not affordable for others.

I think, the poster meant "affordable" in relative / general terms. This is why people say that a particular city or town is more affordable than another. In general terms. Without specific numbers.

Why not keep things simple? Some towns / cities, houses, food stores, cars, you name it, are more affordable than others. As simple as that.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Well, if you don't know what "affordable" is, how will specific numbers help you? You know what I'm saying? Specific numbers will mean affordable for some and not affordable for others.
I think, the poster meant "affordable" in relative / general terms. This is why people say that a particular city or town is more affordable than another. In general terms. Without specific numbers.
I disagree. "Affordable" can vary greatly according to what one is used to in one's own city, and according to one's income level. I see folks who expect to get a 2-br for $600, while others crow because they found a 1-br for $1,200. It's all relative! The OP needs to give an idea of his budget, and also what field of work he is in!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM

56 posts, read 143,116 times
What kind of work are you looking for?

There are a lot of cheaper places to live within a couple hours of Seattle. Help us narrow it down! And also, what you prefer, in regard to city versus suburban versus rural, things like that. Are you looking for other single people in their 20s? An active night life? What kind of things are important to your lifestyle?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I disagree. "Affordable" can vary greatly according to what one is used to in one's own city, and according to one's income level. I see folks who expect to get a 2-br for $600, while others crow because they found a 1-br for $1,200. It's all relative! The OP needs to give an idea of his budget, and also what field of work he is in!
And what do you disagree with? This is exactly what I said in my previous post: It's all relative.

For the same person with a particular budget, one city / town will be more affordable than another. You never heard that people say in general that this city is more affordable than another? For example, Portland, OR is more affordable than NYC (in general)

You can try to argue, of course, and say that, well it depends and add all kinds of situations, budgets, and so on and overcomplicate a simple issue to a point that you will not be able to give a simple answer to a simple question.

Do you really need to hear a Life Story to answer a simple question?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-27-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Why not keep things simple? Some towns / cities, houses, food stores, cars, you name it, are more affordable than others. As simple as that.
Because clarity keeps things simple.

And duh, it goes without saying that Tri-Cities, Spokane, Port Townsend, Bellingham and Olympia are more affordable than Seattle, but he's asking:

Quote:
... but is there a decent town near Seattle where I could get by for a while looking for a job?
In this case... specifics would help.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
...it goes without saying that Tri-Cities, Spokane, Port Townsend, Bellingham and Olympia are more affordable than Seattle...
Well, this one is much better! A really helpful answer! Superbear, do you agree?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Well, this one is much better! A really helpful answer! Superbear, do you agree?
I'm not really understanding the purpose of your posts. If he's asking for an area that has $500-600/month apartments, then obviously no one would recommend Bellevue. That's what I meant by specific numbers-- as to why that was hard for you to understand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area