Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 34,327 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I hope you’re all doing well out in Seattle!

After 5 years effort, from a small town in the UK via London and now New York, I am finally moving to Seattle – a place I’ve visited many times and that I love – the outdoors life is something that will suit me down to the ground!

However, as a single, 29-year-old male, I am also looking for a place where there are bars and things to do (sports and activities etc) as well as be able to meet similarly aged people.

I’ll be working in Bellevue so I do not know where would be best to live - visiting is very different. Hence why I am reaching out! I think I’ve narrowed it to Bellevue, Kirkland or Seattle but any suggestions would be gratefully received. Also, any idea of cost of rent in these areas?

Finally, I have no idea of what the traffic is like during rush hour, so that would be good to know as well.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
A young single guy asked basically this same question just last week or so, so I'll give you the same advice I gave him: If you're working in Bellevue and like Bellevue, live in Bellevue. You can go to Seattle on the weekends when you have time to explore, you won't have to pay the toll to cross the lake if you live on the side you work on, and if you like the outdoors you'll be closer to that if you live on the Eastside. I'm sure if you do some searching you'll find plenty of info on this site about the benefits of Bellevue vs Kirkland vs Seattle.

Same goes for finding rental prices: Google it. Varies wildly depending on location and amenities.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I agree, stay in Bellevue, near downtown. Being from London and NY you may find the rent to be a bit less than you are used to, while people moving here from the midwest and southern US are shocked at the high rent. Traffic is nasty, but again, compared to London and NY not so bad. Some of the worst is the freeway (405) through Bellevue.
If you can walk or stick to surface streets to get to work within Bellevue you will save a lot of time.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 AM

214 posts, read 649,872 times
I would agree with living where you work, it makes life so much easier and Bellevue is a great area. Downtown is well kept with some nicer/high end stores.

Being a single guy if you are looking for girls......the type of girl that you will run into in Seattle, Bellevue and Kirkland will differ greatly. But that may be a different topic lol

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM

58 posts, read 125,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLawless View Post
Hi.

I hope you’re all doing well out in Seattle!

After 5 years effort, from a small town in the UK via London and now New York, I am finally moving to Seattle – a place I’ve visited many times and that I love – the outdoors life is something that will suit me down to the ground!

However, as a single, 29-year-old male, I am also looking for a place where there are bars and things to do (sports and activities etc) as well as be able to meet similarly aged people.

I’ll be working in Bellevue so I do not know where would be best to live - visiting is very different. Hence why I am reaching out! I think I’ve narrowed it to Bellevue, Kirkland or Seattle but any suggestions would be gratefully received. Also, any idea of cost of rent in these areas?

Finally, I have no idea of what the traffic is like during rush hour, so that would be good to know as well.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Alex
Hey man, I just moved out to Bellevue a few weeks ago. If you are working around here, you definitely want to live on this side of the lake. Traffic and commute times around here are insane.
As far as the social scene goes, it really depends on what you're into, but I can tell you for sure that it is not an easy thing out here. You can't just walk into friendships with people you meet around town, and the popular consensus is that it is easier to make friends with other "transplants" (people who also just moved out here recently).

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 34,327 times
Thanks everyone. It's definitely given me food for thought! I guess Kirkland or Bellevue it will be. Does either have "nightlife" or is it Seattle that people go to for that? As I said, I only know from travelling rather than living and going out regularly in the same area.

Got to say Scotty, that line on the different girls gets me intrigued but I know this is not a dating site!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Kirkland has better nightlife than Bellevue-- however, you mentioned you're 29, so I have no idea if you've mellowed down a bit, in which case, Bellevue probably would be more to your liking given that it's more wine bar/restaurant professional/yuppie types.

However, both are very small compared to Seattle and Seattle would offer more live shows, variety, and such.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Bellevue. Kirkland is great....for families. Seattle is....bleh.

Plus, being a young single guy Bellevue would be more up to your speed as there seems to be more young professionals there and not so much of the shady people you would find in Seattle nightlife.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 61,173 times
Hey. I'm 28 and just recently moved out of Bellevue to Kirkland (cause I bought a place, but that's another story).
If you are renting, then just stay in Bellevue. Public transportation options are definitely better in Bellevue, and if you have a car then you are minutes away from everything. As far as activities, it's kind of a wash. The public beach parks in Kirkland is a lot better, but Bellevue have more shops and restaurants.
TBH, Kirkland have better night life than Bellevue for sure. The bars around Bellevue is catered towards professionals coming out for happy hour. During weekdays, almost all the bars empties out at around 9 pm. Kirkland has a younger and more local crowd for sure.
But, you can always just go to Kirkland or Seattle to go out. And if you get really hammered, a cab ride home is only $20-$40.
These days I have a steady girlfriend, a job that I love, and a mortgage. So, going out suddenly becomes much less important
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area