Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are moving from Kansas City, MO. We have lived in Las Vegas and Denver both in the last 3 years. We are looking to make yet another journey in January or February. We have lived basically in the suburbs everywhere we have lived and we are tired of all the upkeep and house work that goes along with it. We are making a giant change in our lives and have decided to move out of a house and into condo/loft style living in the city. We are looking for some recommendations of where to live/rent and possible locations would be nice if anyone has suggestions. We are looking to spend $2000-2500 month for something luxurious and very urban. We are both into the arts and music which i feel will fit nicely with downtown living. However, the issue we may face is my new job is in Belleview. I have heard rumors that the bridge across takes like 1.5 hrs just to go 6 miles. any advise would be nice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,052,374 times
I'd recommending staying in downtown Bellevue. There are a lot of nice condos going in right in the downtown core area. If your office is in downtown, then you might even be able to walk to work.

Seattle is the place for traditional urban living but as you say, the commute is sometimes rough. Not 1.5 hours on a consistent basis but every now and then, you may encounter travel times such as that. You might think that it would be a reverse commute but there are actually just as many or perhaps more commuters going in the reverse direction of the traditional commute because of the multitude of major employers located on the eastside of the lake; Microsoft being the biggest of course.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 AM

The office is in downtown belleview off of 4th and belleview way. I have yet to travel there to see exactly what the city has to offer. Does downtown belleview offer high rise condo's or apartments?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomads13 View Post
The office is in downtown belleview off of 4th and belleview way. I have yet to travel there to see exactly what the city has to offer. Does downtown belleview offer high rise condo's or apartments?
If you asked 5 years ago, the answer would be no, but downtown Bellevue has been growing like gangbusters since 2002. Check out this thread:

Moderator cut: link to another message board deleted

Most of it is upscale condos, however there are lots of existing apartment buildings as well. Downtown is very tame compared to Seattle and is completely dead at night, but that may change as the new projects are completed.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-13-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: sorry, I thought that link was to one of our threads. The Admin here doesn't want links to other forums.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times
Wow. When I worked in Bellevue in the early 1990's, my office building (new then) at NE 8th and Bellevue Way was practically the tallest in the town . And my commute from West Seattle (reverse commute back then) took me about 25 min in 1990 and closer to 45 min in 1995 when I left my job. It's up over an hour now? Yikes!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,532 times
Nomad,

I'm reverse from you, I moved from the Seattle area to Kansas City, MO for a job. I live in Liberty, MO north of the city. What kind of job brings you from KCMO to WA? Any suggestions about staying in KCMO? I haven't made up my mind if I'm staying or going.

Tony

Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Mortgage market in Seattle is still tremendous. I have an opportunity that i can't refuse, plus a change of pace before we start a family. Living in KC has a lot of strong points but many more negative, especially for young professionals like my wife and I. There is a decent amount of night life, but mostly kansas city is just a great place to raise a family. We don't have the family yet but will some day. You have to drive many miles or fly just to get to do outdoor activity like skiing, boating, etc. Seattle in that aspect pretty much has it all.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM

277 posts, read 1,299,132 times
I'm gonna disagree with scirocco here and tell you to look for a place in the city. What you are willing to spend will get you a nice place close in. Bellevue is a suburb, no night life and lots of chain restaurants. It's like someone telling you to live in Overland Park or Olathe. Look for these neighborhoods: Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, First Hill, Madrona, Ballard, Fremont, Montlake, Ravenna, Central District, Sodo or even Georgetown or Columbia City.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,052,374 times
True that Bellevue is a suburb but it's evolving into an urban area in itself. With the many projects going on in downtown Bellevue, I'm pretty sure that core area of Bellevue will have many of the amenities of urban life at some point in the future. It's also convenient to downtown Kirkland. Both communities, IMO, will have continued growth in the arts and music.

My philosophy, as I've stated many times in posts, is to live as close to work as possible. The less time spent commuting, the more time for other activities. If I could avoid crossing the bridge every day, I'd definitely consider it.

But hey, we can agree to disagree!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomads13 View Post
Yes and it's growing very fast.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area