Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM

57 posts, read 119,801 times

Advertisements

We are new to Washington State and just as new to 'snow activities.' Is there a resort within a few hours drive where we can rent a hotel room and go tubing and maybe even try skiing? Of course since we are complete newbie's we would have to rent as much warm clothing as possible. Any favorite places out there?

Thanks,
Merry Christmas and all the other holidays,
Cassy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM

277 posts, read 442,152 times
This is our first year here during a full winter where we can actually try our hands (or feet rather) at skiing/snowboarding. From what I've seen, I think Crystal Mountain is the only really close one that's an actual resort. I know Steven's Pass has tubing, but I don't think any hotels around it. I'm sure there are ones further north and south of Seattle, but those are the closest.

You could also do what we're doing. There's a ski shuttle on certain days that will take you to Stevens or Crystal for the day so you don't have to drive and deal with all that stuff.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Snoqualmie Pass is a great place for tubing and skiing - easy to get to. No hotels to speak of, but less than an hour drive. Never heard of ski clothes rentals ...

Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
The best resort within a few hour drive is Whistler Blackcomb. None of the ones in WA are anywhere near as large or luxurious, and the terrain is amazing. WA would never allow something like that to be built.

Snoqualmie Pass is about an hour drive, and it's a good place to learn as they have combined 4 relatively "easy" ski areas into one pass. Alpental actually has some challenging terrain up top.

Stevens Pass has a better mountain, but it's more advanced.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
This is our first year here during a full winter where we can actually try our hands (or feet rather) at skiing/snowboarding. From what I've seen, I think Crystal Mountain is the only really close one that's an actual resort. I know Steven's Pass has tubing, but I don't think any hotels around it. I'm sure there are ones further north and south of Seattle, but those are the closest.
Lodging | Stevens Pass

One can go to any of the ski webpage and find information about lodging. Even if the place itself doesn't offer lodging, there's always places nearby and there's also the cabins to rent out. Even Snoqualmie Pass has the cabins right up their trails. The ski in and ski out access usually provides the best experience... especially if they offer a hot tub outside!

Personally, OP, I wouldn't even want to rent clothes, just buy them-- odds are, you'll probably reuse for the coming years. All you really need waterproofed clothes like a snow bib or snow pants and a waterproof jacket like Northface/Columbia. I only wear a tank top shirt-- but thats because I'm used to the cold and overheat easily. I'd suggest a thermal long sleeve if you're going to be active; sweaters if you're just hanging out drinking cider or hot chocolate. Don't overbulk because it makes for an uncomfty experience.

Look into a place like Play it again Sports for rentals (IIRC, they did have snow bib/pant rentals), if you have money to burn then definitely REI.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Check out places like Ski Mart or Ski Bonkers for good deals on lightly used ski/snowboard gear.

If you're open to looking a few hours south, check out Sun River and Mt. Bachelor in Oregon.

But if you guys are just learning, I recommend Snoqualmie Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area