Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,754 times

Advertisements

Single girl moving from the NYC region and I can't decide on Seattle or Denver. I don't mind the rain and I don't care much about the sun but I love to be active and spend time outdoors. I will be moving without a job and looking once I get there so being able to find a job easily is a big factor. Also, I am originally from Europe so I love meeting international people and I will be traveling a lot all over the West coast. Overall I am into a healthy lifestyle, with some spirituality on the side (yoga, meditation, inner peace) and I would love to get into a city with that type of vibe. Feeling good inside is way more important to me than rain or sun, etc. Any opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by kania; 12-20-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Boulder.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:09 AM

872 posts, read 2,030,597 times
Don't move without a job. Not to Seattle, not to Denver, not to anywhere else...unless you have somewhere around $10,000 saved up. Think about it like this

Apartment in either Denver or Seattle ~900 a month so...

900 (first month) + 900 (last month) + 500 deposit = $2,300
For one month:

Utilities (around $75)
Cable/Internet (around $100)
Phone Bill (around $80)
Food ($100)
=
~$350

So, let's say you had $5,000, you will last approximately: 3 months
Now think about it like this, if you get a scheduled interview as soon as you move in, it will still take approximately 3-4 weeks to get started (as well as another 2-3 weeks to get paid, which better cover all of your costs) and that is if you get an interview as soon as you land off the plane (or whatever).

These expenses don't include anything else...transportation costs, any extra food expense, or anything.

If you do have around $10,000 to blow, go ahead and move and you will probably be okay

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Default Right on advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Don't move without a job. Not to Seattle, not to Denver, not to anywhere else...unless you have somewhere around $10,000 saved up. Think about it like this

Apartment in either Denver or Seattle ~900 a month so...

900 (first month) + 900 (last month) + 500 deposit = $2,300
For one month:

Utilities (around $75)
Cable/Internet (around $100)
Phone Bill (around $80)
Food ($100)
=
~$350

So, let's say you had $5,000, you will last approximately: 3 months
Now think about it like this, if you get a scheduled interview as soon as you move in, it will still take approximately 3-4 weeks to get started (as well as another 2-3 weeks to get paid, which better cover all of your costs) and that is if you get an interview as soon as you land off the plane (or whatever).

These expenses don't include anything else...transportation costs, any extra food expense, or anything.

If you do have around $10,000 to blow, go ahead and move and you will probably be okay
Being more conservative, I would suggest $20,000, but this is good advice--be prepared. But she is a NY girl so either Denver or Seattle will be less expensive than where she is. But a job? These days? Start an online search in your career field. You won't pull it off in either city as a waitress or Big Mac packager, unless you can find a couple of roommates to share expenses with. And if you are the new girl on the block, well, you are the new girl and that can have a lot of uncertain outcomes with roommates.

I've lived in both Washington and Colorado and personally prefer Colorado, but both are beautiful states. Washington, lots of rain. Colorado, lots of sunshine. Washington, mountains and ocean (but it's a very cold ocean even in the summer) and lots of green grass. Colorado, more mountains than you can count plus a plethora of national and state parks with everything from sand dunes to red rocks to deserts and granite rock gorges with rivers running through them--but brown in the summer.

Washington, humid. Colorado, dry. Cold weather in Washington, get your coat every day. Cold weather in Colorado, if you stay in the sun, you may not even need a sweater. I've seen people golfing in January with snow on the sides of the golf course.

And if at all possible, visit both first.

Good luck

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,288,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Being more conservative, I would suggest $20,000, but this is good advice--be prepared. But she is a NY girl so either Denver or Seattle will be less expensive than where she is. But a job? These days? Start an online search in your career field. You won't pull it off in either city as a waitress or Big Mac packager, unless you can find a couple of roommates to share expenses with. And if you are the new girl on the block, well, you are the new girl and that can have a lot of uncertain outcomes with roommates.

I've lived in both Washington and Colorado and personally prefer Colorado, but both are beautiful states. Washington, lots of rain. Colorado, lots of sunshine. Washington, mountains and ocean (but it's a very cold ocean even in the summer) and lots of green grass. Colorado, more mountains than you can count plus a plethora of national and state parks with everything from sand dunes to red rocks to deserts and granite rock gorges with rivers running through them--but brown in the summer.

Washington, humid. Colorado, dry. Cold weather in Washington, get your coat every day. Cold weather in Colorado, if you stay in the sun, you may not even need a sweater. I've seen people golfing in January with snow on the sides of the golf course.

And if at all possible, visit both first.

Good luck
Washington also has a plethora of amazing National State parks, including Olympic National Park, which is the best in the Country, in my opinion. Washington has tons of mountains, rainforest, lush green areas, high desert - personally, I think WA is more spectacular than CO in terms of natural beauty and scenic attractions

Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM

I agree. I have been to Colorado (Denver-area) several times and this is what I have found:

-It is extremely brown
-The city itself smells really nasty
-There isn't much of a culture other than Microbrews. Seattle has Microsoft, T-mobile, Nintendo, Valve, etc. tech wise, tons of coffee, and is a very educated/fit population.
- Seattle has tons of forestry...Denver does not.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post

-It is extremely brown

Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,871 times
I lived in Denver for a couple of years as a single gal in my early 20s and love-love-loved it. I've lived in Seattle for about a month, but my perspective is slightly different now that I'm a married mom in my 30s, and frankly kind of a fuddy-duddy.

Denver always seemed to have a TON of stuff to do: good food, world-class skiing, blues bars, hiking, game nights. It was incredibly easy to make friends, and I found the population pretty diverse. It's way less expensive than WA, and it's somewhat more conservative politically, I think. The closest friends I ever made still live in Denver. It gets very cold, and there are even blizzards, but there are 300 days of sunshine a year! It's very sunny, which is quite beautiful with the snowy mountains as a backdrop, and perfect for outdoorsy pursuits.

Before we moved to Washington I considered moving back to Denver, but I just didn't feel that it would hold the same appeal as it did when I was young (plus, my husband nearly faints at the sight of snow - and doesn't like being landlocked). I visited Seattle and just fell in love with the idea of mountains AND water, and lots of rain (which I love, and never got a lot of in Denver, and certainly not in my hometown of Los Angeles). So, for me, it was Denver for the people and the youthful exuberance, and Seattle for the epic beauty and family vibe.

Whichever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong. Both cities are beautiful and have a lot to offer. Coming from NYC you will cry big fat tears of joy at the rent prices. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Hi Kania, You will love Seattle. A little combo of new age paradise, Europe and Asia is what we are, or maybe what we think we are

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post

This is just a joke, right? When i say "brown" I mean...there is zero vegetation in Denver almost...no trees, lots of smog and is very stinky. Its like living in a desert (Eastern Washington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area