Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,766 times

Advertisements

My husband has just received his orders as an AGR recruiter for the army, and his battalion is in Seattle but he will be working in the recruiting office in Tukwila. We originally planned on staying with on base housing at Fort Lewis but his commander is telling him his commute will be too far and he recommends Kent, Renton or Federal Way.... But which areas are best to live in? Also, I'm open to any other city suggestions even north of Tukila, possibly closer to Seattle. We are planning to rent for now and will have 10 days once we get there to find a place before my husband will be working full time, so I'm hoping to at least have an idea of where to start looking. I have 3 young boys the oldest is in Kindergarten and I'm concerned with high crime areas and school districts to stay away from.
I have lived in Southern Cali my whole life and have NEVER even been to Washington, ANY advice would be so welcome. The best family oriented areas to reside, best elementary schools, preferably an area that doesn't have flood issues and even advice on how we should dress lol. Including brands of clothes recommended!
We have to report there by February 4th and I know it's going to be a lot colder than what we are acclimated to. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
For a reasonable commute and good schools I would suggest Newcastle, Renton, if in the part in the Issaquah District, or if you can afford it Issaquah is not too bad to commute of you take 900 through Renton and has really good schools. Another option is West Seattle if you want to be in a more urban setting though it's not anything like downtown Seattle.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
In addition to Hemlock's suggestions: Newcastle in the Renton school district(Newcastle is split between the Renton and Issaquah districts. Issaquah is a far better school district overall, but the Newcastle schools in the Renton district are good, Hazelwood Elementary, McKnight Middle, and Hazen High: The best of the Renton school district.
Also, that part of Renton in the Kent school district, the Fairwood area and nearby. Kent schools aren't all that great, but the Kent schools that have Renton addresses are waay better(really good, actually) than most of the Kent schools in Kent .

Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I'm going to start checking out Newcastle in the Renton school district like you've both mentioned.... From my searching online I had thought Issaquah seemed desirable but like you said, I'm not sure if that'll be easily affordable for us, but I will definitely see. I also liked the sound of Maple Valley but the commute seemed a bit far.... although my husband said he wouldn't mind as long as he's close to the lake.
Also thanks for giving me the names of the best schools to try to live near, SO helpful! Exactly the kind of help I've been hoping for.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep_On_Movin View Post
I also liked the sound of Maple Valley but the commute seemed a bit far.... although my husband said he wouldn't mind as long as he's close to the lake.
Maple Valley has an excellent school district. Its about an half hour to Southcenter. I usually take Petrovitsky Rd to go to Maple Valley, and it's about half an hour. (I lived in Tukwila, BFF lived in MV). At most, it'll be about 40 mins (because of the rush traffic on the 180th/SW43rd).

Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Maple Valley has an excellent school district. Its about an half hour to Southcenter. I usually take Petrovitsky Rd to go to Maple Valley, and it's about half an hour. (I lived in Tukwila, BFF lived in MV). At most, it'll be about 40 mins (because of the rush traffic on the 180th/SW43rd).
If it's a good area and good school district I don't think my husband would mind sacrificing 40mins drive to and from work. That's not bad at all... especially from what we've seen or read about Maple Valley online. Thanks so much!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
Default Update

Any update?

Where did you guys end up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area