Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 23,117 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Any help would be appreciated. We will be temporarily relocating to Seattle due to my husband's job in the next couple months. We have done A LOT of research on the area and are trying to narrow down where to rent a house. We have two small boys (3 and 18 months) and would like to live in a safe, family friendly area. My husband will be working downtown, so we'd like to keep the commute relatively reasonable too. I believe we have it narrowed down to West Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, and potentially Fremont/Wallingford (although those areas seem more urban that what we're looking for). We'd like to keep the rent around $3000/mo. Any suggestions to help us narrow it down? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM

38 posts, read 71,594 times
I personally like Northgate area. It is part of Seattle, with great access to I-5. Not too pricey either.

West Seattle: Commute over West Seattle bridge is pretty bad in the morning. West Seattle is pretty nice in many areas.

Mercer Island: Bad commute getting into Seattle also. Of course a very nice area.

Fremont/Wallingford have better access to downtown.

Don't know about Bellevue.

Anyways, there are a few little nice neighborhoods in Northgate that may be up to your tastes. However, the areas you mentioned are slightly more upscale than Northgate.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
I lived in West Seattle from 1990-95 so I can't address today's traffic issues. My husband had a very quick commute to downtown and I reverse-commuted to Bellevue without too much issue. We loved the neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,000 times
The commute from Mercer Island into Seattle isn't so bad, the car pool lanes are open to single occupant vehicles getting on from the island.

I don't know what kind of house you are looking for, but a 1960's vintage 4 bedroom split level with a two car garage in my neighborhood rented last month for $1800.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,562 times
In Mercer Island? We rented for a year there in 1989 and paid $1100 for about the same thing! Wow.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
You have $3000 per month? Go Mercer Island you'll love it

And DON'T go to Northgate - geez, it is getting better there but it used to be the Ghetto Mall area - and I live close by there

For the money you have to spend - you can find so many better spots then Northgate

Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 AM

288 posts, read 1,328,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollow View Post
Hi all! Any help would be appreciated. We will be temporarily relocating to Seattle due to my husband's job in the next couple months. We have done A LOT of research on the area and are trying to narrow down where to rent a house. We have two small boys (3 and 18 months) and would like to live in a safe, family friendly area. My husband will be working downtown, so we'd like to keep the commute relatively reasonable too. I believe we have it narrowed down to West Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, and potentially Fremont/Wallingford (although those areas seem more urban that what we're looking for). We'd like to keep the rent around $3000/mo. Any suggestions to help us narrow it down? Thanks in advance!
I say Mercer Island hands down. I live on Mercer Island, and I work in downtown Seattle, and the traffic isn't that bad. Mercer Island is centrally located, and right on I-90. It only takes me maybe 10 minutes 15 tops in traffic to get to downtown from Mercer Island in the morning.

It is a very beautiful, and major wealthy affluent part of the Seattle area with some of the best schools in the region.

You can't go wrong.

I love west Seattle also (Alki in particular)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area