Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM

8 posts, read 9,304 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating to the Seattle area this spring. We have 5 kids ages 12-3mo, dogs and the whole nine yards. I'm mainly a SAHM, but would like to work per diem at a local hospital(RN), and husband would be working downtown. We're looking for a mostly rural/suburban area that will give us the room we desire, without killing the hubby on the commute. Any suggestions on where to start looking? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Of course it depends on your budget, desired commute time and as to whether the hospitals are hiring, but you have a couple.

To the East, look into the Swedish Hospital campus in Issaquah, and Snoqualmie Valley Hospital. Your suburban choices are Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland (Totem Lake area).

To the South, look to Multicare in Auburn, Samaritan in Puyallup, Valley Medical in Renton.

I know in the north they have Stevens Hospital in Edmonds, but I can't really remember any else -- so will leave that up to someone else.

The Hospitals here also tend to have smaller clinics/offices/campuses around in the suburban areas as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM

We're looking around the $350-400k budget range, and I don't HAVE to work, I just enjoy it. We're just used to having chickens, a garden and space for the kids to get out and play, so looking for something similar and not sure where to start. My husband is willing to commute about 30-40 mins, as that's a similar commute to what he has now.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
You could look at the Maple Valley area though it's a bit more than 30-40 minutes but fits everything else. Would be closer to Swedish Issaquah which is a new, state of the art hospital.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I'd also recommend the area around Maple Valley, including Renton addresses bordering Maple Valley, and Covington. All in the neighborhood of 35-40 minutes from downtown Seattle if traffic is light. Covington's in the Kent school district, which, while not as good as Maple Valley's, has some good schools including the ones near and in Covington. The outer reaches of Renton will be mostly in the Issaquah school district, with some in the Maple Valley(Tahoma) or Kent districts. And again the schools in Renton that are part of the Kent school district are better than most of Kent's schools within Kent.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
I'd recommend Sammamish, Woodinville, Fall City, and Renton. All are a little far from the city but you would get a lot more for your money and large family in those areas.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM

403 posts, read 681,671 times
Look up in the Snohomish County areas around Marysville, Arlington, Snohomish. Nearby large-ish city, Everett, has hospital(s), and various medical clinics (Everett Clinic being the largest) around the area. Would be a stretch on the commute end of things, but depending on the times, it may not be an issue. I used to live in Marysville, started work at 6 a.m. and got off (most days) between 3-3:30 p.m. in Seattle Interbay area. Commute was a breeze as we were on the roads before the bulk of the commute got started. Nice rural areas up there with some small farms still around and most municipalities allow keeping chickens.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I'd look at Woodinville. That is where we are, and we love it.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
As someone who drives in from the north end (Mill Creek) I would not go any further north than Snohomish or Everett. For me on most days it's 1 hour to Seattle, commuting at normal times. Evenings are much better for some reason.

In addition to some of the other areas people have mentioned, I think you should look at Duvall. Wouldn't be 30 minutes (I think you'll have a hard time finding 30 minutes in your budget and with other things you're looking for), but I think 45 mins might be a possibility if your husband gets into the city via 520.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area