Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM

16 posts, read 79,891 times

Advertisements

We are moving there next month and wondering where to live. Exploring few options:

1. Find a place in Seattle and I drive to work to Tacoma everyday. But I am not a big fan of long commute to work (shouldn't be more than 30 minutes). But, I have read here in other posts that drive from Seattle to Tacoma in the mornings normally take 30-35 minutes and the same from Tacoma to Seattle in the evenings

2. Find somewhere in the middle, so that both of us drive 15-20 miles each.This would mean that, we buy another car which I would like to avoid if possible.

If we go with this option, we are thinking about Des Moines, Kent, Shorewood, Renton etc. Ofcourse, I am naming tehse areas from google maps. I need to find out which ones are liveable.

Any other options we can explore?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I'd rule out Shorewood. Just a tad scuzzy. But add Burien.
There is the Sounder train for commuting between Tacoma and Seattle, but most of the AM trips are north from Tacoma, and most of the PM trips are south from Seattle, so you might consider one of the nicer Tacoma neighborhoods. Old Town and Proctor are two really nice areas. Tacoma has other nice areas as well.
Kent also has the Sounder train as well as buses into Seattle.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 PM

IRA500,
Thank you for the reply. In my search online so far, Seattle area doesn't seem to have that many new constructions. Am I correct? We are done with our share of "character homes" and looking to rent an upscale townhome with water view (new construction preferred) until we buy a house. I will consider the areas you had recommended.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM

6 posts, read 29,989 times
Take my advice......... move anywhere but Tacoma, the crime capitol of the Pacific NW. And I know that you are new to this area, but sadly, the 'other' name for the city of Burien is "Rat City".... so I would count that out too.
Renton may have some nice places, depending on what you can afford. Issaquah is straight out I-90 bridge which is wide and a pretty decent 2nd bridge over Lake Washington, to get to Seattle. PLUS it has a super great School district if you have kids. Newcastle is a city between Bellevue & Renton and a straight shot down the I-405 (a ways, albeit !!) to Tacoma.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Tacoma is not that bad. Of course there are areas that can be crime-ridden, but most people will not purposely move there (unless they can't help it). The areas that Ira suggested are nice and safe.

As for Burien, seriously? Its not completely bad either. But I personally never heard anyone referring to Burien as "Rat City"-- even though I've lived around Burien for a long time.

Issaquah/Newcastle has to be ruled out just for the traffic alone. Bit easier for the husband, but not the wife.

Also check into Normandy Park which is between Des Moines and Burien. Closer to Tacoma would be Redondo Beach/Dash Point which is a bit of an older neighborhood, but has access to the best of the worlds (Beach, shopping, parks, et c.).

There are new constructions in the Seattle area, yes.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
As for Burien, seriously? Its not completely bad either. But I personally never heard anyone referring to Burien as "Rat City"-- even though I've lived around Burien for a long time.

Burien never had the nickname "Rat City". That was it's neighbor to the north, White Center. What's referred to as " Old Burien" is pretty charming, with a lot of new residential apartments and townhomes.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 PM

Thank you all for the input. We seem to be leaning towards living in Seattle (or within 2-5 miles from Pacific Science Center on Alaskan Way)and I drive to Tacoma everyday. There is no train from Seattle to Tacoma after 6:45am, so public transit is ruled out. I am estimating if I leave at 7-7:15 am, I should get to Tacoma by 8 - 8:15.

From what I have read online, the evening traffic into Seattle isn't bad and should take 45 minutes or so.

Does anyone think this is an absolute no ..no and this idea of living in Seattle and driving everyday to Tacoma crazy? (This allows one of us live closer to work).

Of course all these ideas are based on google maps research. We are planning to do couple of trial drives from Seattle to Tacoma when we get to Seattle before we decide on a place.

Any input is welcome.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:44 PM

Oh..we are looking at Kent as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 AM

Any thoughts on Renton?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:42 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Renton is a nice area, but during rush hour, getting out of Renton then dealing with 405 traffic can be a pain.

Tacoma and Seattle are in different counties. You might want to look into property taxes, et. c. Living in Pierce county (Tacoma) is much more affordable than living in King county (Seattle). Thought I point that out. A lot of people live in Tacoma work in Seattle-- not only do you have the Sounder train, but they also have the Express Buses going b/w Tacoma and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area