Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get SAD in Seattle?
Yes 11 31.43%
No 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times

Advertisements

and if u do, how do you deal with it? When I lived in Portland, I always had headaches and felt sluggish, and now I think it had to do with SAD, basically a lack of sunlight cuz don't have it any more. It seems if you spend time outside though, even in cloudy days, it gets better, but isn't it hard to spend time outside if it's raining or drizzling?
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - Causes and Risk Factors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Hmm. You don't live here and probably don't plan to. You lived in Portland, not Seattle, but you come to the Seattle board to post this? Why not combine it with the other multi-page thread where the OP there repeated the exact same comments over and over.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
I lived in Tacoma for ten years and the so called drearyness and rain never bothered me at all.
Tacoma gets a bit more rain and drearyness than Seattle. All the time I lived in the Puget Sound area I never heard of S.A.D. and none of my coworkers, neighbors or friends ever seemed to talk about it and didn't seem to exibit any of the sysmpoms.

I dont recall seeing a bunch of posts (maybe a few) about S.A.D. on other places here like Alaska or British Columbia or even coastal Oregon. What is the the real reason that folks in Seattle seem to be so concerened with this S.A.D. condition. It may be due to high crime and unfriendly people perhaps.
The lack of sun may be only a contributing factor.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
I lived in Tacoma for ten years and the so called drearyness and rain never bothered me at all.
Tacoma gets a bit more rain and drearyness than Seattle. All the time I lived in the Puget Sound area I never heard of S.A.D. and none of my coworkers, neighbors or friends ever seemed to talk about it and didn't seem to exibit any of the sysmpoms.

I dont recall seeing a bunch of posts (maybe a few) about S.A.D. on other places here like Alaska or British Columbia or even coastal Oregon. What is the the real reason that folks in Seattle seem to be so concerened with this S.A.D. condition. It may be due to high crime and unfriendly people perhaps.
The lack of sun may be only a contributing factor.
i lived in portland for 10 yrs and most people I knew had symptoms, it doesnt have anyth to do with crime or people, and the lack of sun is THE factor, not a contributing factor
plus i dont get the crime part, seattle is like the safest major city in the country

Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
With most of the rain being a very light drizzle, there is no need to stay inside. I walk two miles a day even when it's raining hard, and much prefer the this climate to hot and sunny all the time. If I lived in a place like Las Vegas or Phoenix I'd be
inside all the time.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With most of the rain being a very light drizzle, there is no need to stay inside. I walk two miles a day even when it's raining hard, and much prefer the this climate to hot and sunny all the time. If I lived in a place like Las Vegas or Phoenix I'd be
inside all the time.
i hear that
i like 4 seasons better tho, except the annoying humidity

Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Only in December, and for me it was the darkness more than the rain.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
I moved from CA to WA last year and like was warned to me before spring was amazing, summer close to perfection, fall not too bad but by winter... it drained me of EVERYTHING I was or am. My friends were worried and although I tried everything suggested the constant gloom and rain for weeks on end with a sliver of sun did me in. Between Oct - February I didn't even want to leave my house most days, let alone the bed. Tail between legs I'm moving back out of WA but commend those who endure and jealous of those who do not get it since this really is a beautiful state.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
I moved from CA to WA last year and like was warned to me before spring was amazing, summer close to perfection, fall not too bad but by winter... it drained me of EVERYTHING I was or am. My friends were worried and although I tried everything suggested the constant gloom and rain for weeks on end with a sliver of sun did me in. Between Oct - February I didn't even want to leave my house most days, let alone the bed. Tail between legs I'm moving back out of WA but commend those who endure and jealous of those who do not get it since this really is a beautiful state.
Well, welcome back tot he Bay Area. The constant sun and rather toasty temps we've been having has kept me house bound. This is going to sound so bizarre to most but I really hate sunny 80 degree weather. I cannot function properly like this. We should just trade.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
I live in a sunny area but I actually enjoy cloudiness/misting. It's hard to describe but it actually gives me a good feeling. In San Diego this time of year they call May Gray, June Gloom because the marine layer often sits over the city and it's overcast. It's probably my favorite time of year, lol.

I enjoy the sun too but I could do without it every day or even every week. It's just wind and snow that I'd rather not deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area