Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM

176 posts, read 348,829 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been poking around here for a while and lately one of the hot spots for young people mainly college grads seems to be Seattle! Or atleast that's what general consensus seems to be. i was wondering is this true? from the people that live there. I ask because for as many good things ive heard about Seattle i've heard almost as many bad things or even contradictory statements. So what is it, does Seattle look good only because Forbes magazine promotes it often? or is legitimately a good place for young professionals? Consider the usual points of employment, dating, night life, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Time magazine did a feature spread on Seattle in the 90s and put it on the cover. It is indeed a good place for young professionals, especially software or web related. But I think it's a best a city where you save money for the day when you'll move permanently to a place that's cheaper and with better (sunnier, warmer) weather. If you don't make over $100K, if only as a couple, it can be difficult to afford a house. For those reasons mainly I'd say yes, over hyped. I've had about a dozen friends over the years who tried to make a living here or withstand the weather. Only myself and one other survived, so far.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Where did they all escape too? You really don't sound like you'd like to stick around much longer yourself.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Definitely over hyped. If you're not in the tech business, and are unwilling to be bounced around from company to company as a "contractor," then this area is not for you. From a transplant's perspective: it's over priced, traffic sucks, the job market isn't nearly as good as the "Seattle flag wavers" will have you believe, traffic really is that bad, weather is even worse (seriously, I can't wait to get back out of here), and the majority of people are unfriendly and xenophobic.

Just to be clear, I am not struggling financially be any means, in fact I will probably take a pay cut to move away from here, but it's definitely worth it for me. I can't see living here any longer than I have to.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Where did they all escape too? You really don't sound like you'd like to stick around much longer yourself.
Let's see... a few to Boise ID, Rochester and Syracuse NY (both specifically for cheaper housing), Hilo HI, a few to the Bay area, Chicago (significantly cheaper), Las Vegas (that friend still works for a Seattle firm) and Phoenix area.

If you can score and keep a good job here, and especially if you like nature, Seattle is a great place. In summer it's a paradise. I used to think I'd retire here. But now I'm looking at moving to somewhere in the four-corners states (AZ, UT, CO, NM), likely at the price of a big drop in income. It would be worth it to see the sun more often and have more opportunities for road trips, hiking and camping.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Definitely over hyped. If you're not in the tech business, and are unwilling to be bounced around from company to company as a "contractor," then this area is not for you. From a transplant's perspective: it's over priced, traffic sucks, the job market isn't nearly as good as the "Seattle flag wavers" will have you believe, traffic really is that bad, weather is even worse (seriously, I can't wait to get back out of here), and the majority of people are unfriendly and xenophobic.

Just to be clear, I am not struggling financially be any means, in fact I will probably take a pay cut to move away from here, but it's definitely worth it for me. I can't see living here any longer than I have to.
Since you're a transplant where did you live before and why move to Seattle?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Since you're a transplant where did you live before and why move to Seattle?
Honolulu, just moved here for my education, get experience, and the CPA license. My goal definitely was not to stay here forever, I knew that from day one, but I wanted the benefit of the good accounting programs here to set me up for success moving back home. Still, it's been a long six years exiled up here...

Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Rough life, i'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your time.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
The answer would be a function of what you need out of life.

The economy seems to be "better" here vs. other parts of the country; not sure if that means "best," "good," or "acceptable." Certainly different from say eight years ago, the bottom of national unemployment (I think).

It is certainly expensive. Lots online about that. Subjectively, $500K for a "nice" house in a "nice" neighborhood (and rising fast, lately) seems a bit crazed to me. Same thing in Des Moines or Indianapolis or Baton Rouge is what, one third to half that? Supply and demand, I suppose. Complicated equation.

Personally, for me at age 30 it was an economics questions. Seattle had (and stil has) the tech jobs, and was a place to get ahead vs. California. I could not stay ahead of oppressive taxation, sky-high housing prices, and vast number of people in CA. Your needs may differ. I have few regrets spending my 20s in CA, though, because it was definitely fun.

With the right skills, you can get ahead in Seattle metro. Without, I'm sure it's difficult.

It's one of the whiter and higher-education major metro areas, per Forbes (as you say) and similar. Turns off some, definitely, if "diversity" is a requirement for your happiness.

"Nightlife" has passed me by, wouldn't know much about it, or care. There are jazz clubs, symphonies, museums, and such I attend occasionally, after-hours, alone and with the S.O. Obviously a lot of bars, too, from hot-wings sports bars to swankier clubs. What goes on the bars, I wouldn't know, being a teetotaler and never into that scene much to begin with.

The weird weather breaks some spirits. Watched it happen to a Los Angeles native I respected. She moved back to her home after nine months, albeit with a job waiting back from whence she came.

No job in tech is super-secure, but the chaos of that is actually rather amusing if you've got game and have enough of a network to stay employed and current on trends (=active career management).

Think I'd agree with another poster that if you don't have a well-paying career arc, in tech or other field, and cold/rainy weather bothers you, Seattle metro can be rather brutal. The weather, whiteness in the 'burbs, and other social conservative behaviors despite the liberal-bent of local politics drives many bonkers, and that's that. As a guy of Northern European stock, in looks and disposition (pale, and chilly, respectively), hell I was born to live in this place.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,793 times
Is Seattle over-hyped? Over-hyped by who? The media? The people that live here...? I don't understand this question. I mean...is it one of the best cities in this country? Yes. Is it one of the cleanest and most beautiful? Yes. Is the crime relatively low compared to most other cities? Yes. Is there a GREAT job market? Yes. Does it rain? Yes. Is the traffic bad? Yes.

So I guess on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being super over hyped and 1 being under-hyped, it's probably a 4. I mean, it's basically everything as advertised and more.

You'll get some negative nancys on this board who just hate being here so much (like that one guy up top), but for the most part, ask anyone who has ever been here, I bet 8/10 would say that would love to live in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a plane or just in a restaurant across the country where Seattle is mentioned and 1 or 2 people around just turn and talk about how great it is.

It is getting crowded here for sure, but if we can get rid of some of these haters, I think things will brighten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area