Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Je ne sais quoi
what is je ne sais qoui??? French???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
what is je ne sais qoui??? French???
Yes. It literally means "I know not what".
And it's spelled "quoi"

Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I moved from Austin (8 years) to Seattle (10 years) to Houston (9 years) and we have homes in both Houston and Seattle.

Honestly, Houston is the hip new place to be in TX (note I am decidedly not hip, ha ha) and strikes me as being much more Seattle-like than Austin. I used to be a Houston-basher like other Austinites but Houston is more, well, everything than Austin now. Except hilly. I admit I am one who also thinks Austin is more like Portland, as the previous poster mentions. There are differences to be sure, but they feel similar in size and vibe to me.
OMG, no! Houston is like the anti-Seattle. They are so different in so many, many ways it's not even funny. I just moved from Houston to Seattle last April (after 12 years in that hell hole) and hope I never have to go back to Texas ever. I feel Austin is the only city in Texas that could be somewhat compared to Seattle, but it's still no where near the same. I agree with the Austin-Portland comparison more.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Ha ha, if you get past the uber-obvious fact that no city in TX is really going to be like Seattle, I stand by my assertion that Houston compares better than Austin. Of course it depends on the points of comparison. I compare Houston and Seattle as both high energy, Tier 1, international cities while Austin is most definitely a sleepier Tier 2. And having lived in all three cities for lengthy periods, I can say that Austin's reputation as a liberal city is somewhat artificial and forced. I consider myself liberal and worried about moving to Houston, but Houston is just so much more diverse that no one gives a fig. That is true liberalism, IMO.

I loved my time in Austin but having lived in Seattle afterward I think I would feel trapped there now. Easier to go in the other direction. It would be helpful if the OP were more specific in their wants for a new city, and I don't recall where they are moving from. Maybe Austin would be a big new city for them and just the right place.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM

21 posts, read 32,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
OMG, no! Houston is like the anti-Seattle. They are so different in so many, many ways it's not even funny. I just moved from Houston to Seattle last April (after 12 years in that hell hole) and hope I never have to go back to Texas ever. I feel Austin is the only city in Texas that could be somewhat compared to Seattle, but it's still no where near the same. I agree with the Austin-Portland comparison more.

Good job finally getting out of houston. I read the post and the post below from the poster comparing houston to Seattle. Um, no. They could not be more opposite cities. The poster is saying Houston is international because of its residents coming from all over the world. That much is true, but they are all backwards and totally behind the times, even if you are just comparing corporate environments in houston versus other major U.S. cities. houston is pretty ugly too. No skyline, dirty, no charm, no character. It's just like a huge, souless suburb full of hucksters who are out for themselves and have no concept that you can actually get ahead by not screwing people over, thinking of others, and having a personality. houston is where all the nasty, unscrupulous people live.

I don't have a problem with people not liking Seattle, or whatever, but houston is hands down the worst city I have ever been in.

There are some things I really don't like about Seattle, but it is still miles above houston.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartMeOver View Post
Good job finally getting out of houston. I read the post and the post below from the poster comparing houston to Seattle. Um, no. They could not be more opposite cities. The poster is saying Houston is international because of its residents coming from all over the world. That much is true, but they are all backwards and totally behind the times, even if you are just comparing corporate environments in houston versus other major U.S. cities. houston is pretty ugly too. No skyline, dirty, no charm, no character. It's just like a huge, souless suburb full of hucksters who are out for themselves and have no concept that you can actually get ahead by not screwing people over, thinking of others, and having a personality. houston is where all the nasty, unscrupulous people live.

I don't have a problem with people not liking Seattle, or whatever, but houston is hands down the worst city I have ever been in.

There are some things I really don't like about Seattle, but it is still miles above houston.
Huh? Sounds a lot like sour grapes and, um, no skyline? Have you ever even been there?

The OP asked whether Austin is like Seattle and I would say NO, that in my actual experience having lived in each of these places for around a decade, Houston is the city most like Seattle in TX. I think it goes without saying that you are not going to find a Seattle clone anywhere in TX.

I used to be a Houston-basher too but I've lived here now for 9 years and I admit to being very pleasantly surprised. DH lived his entire previous life in the PNW and he is possibly happier in Houston than I am. It is far more progressive and liberal than people assume, it is second only to New York in theater and the arts, there are funky old neighborhoods, incredible food from so many different cultures. Houston is really happening now, it's a good time to be here. Of course in some ways it is completely opposite than Seattle, weather and landscape for example, but we find they are complementary - great weather in summer (Seattle) vs. winter (Houston). Seattle too has some real detractions but we still love it there as well. It's all in the attitude.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Yes. It literally means "I know not what".
And it's spelled "quoi"
Exactly and the je ne is usually ran together when French people speak so it sounds like "Zhenn" usually not "Zhu nuh" like it's spelled and never "Jenna". The French J is pronounced like the S in treasure.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Je ne sais quoi
Who cares, clearly I was able to communicate my message.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Who cares, clearly I was able to communicate my message.
Yes, you did communicate it clearly.
But I don't get why you would react defensively when someone corrected your misspelling - especially when it was done with a smiley face!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Yes, you did communicate it clearly.
But I don't get why you would react defensively when someone corrected your misspelling - especially when it was done with a smiley face!
Oh a smiley face? Well that changes everything. I must have missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area