Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Wasn't my intent to be hostile. Merely suggesting that, if you truly love WA state other than the SAD, it's not unreasonable to suggest a place like Spokane may solve all your problems.

But I realize that you weren't soliciting suggestions. My apologies.
No prob i definitely did not take offense. Who knows... if Sac doesn't work out maybe I will take you up on your offer to explore other places but right now.. .my family would revolt if I changed my mind now.

Thanks for your input though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM

34 posts, read 48,359 times
Don't feel bad, join the club! lol I am moving by the end of next week, I've been here for almost a year. I SO wanted this to work, but it just didn't for me. And before I learned about SAD I just felt that I was being stupid, or that I lost my willpower since I've adapted many times before. I believe this weather, like no other, really let me know what kind of animal I am, and I've lived in dry cold, dry heat, humid cold, humid heat but I guess it is not in my genes to deal with lack of light. I enjoyed this area a lot, I can't say that people are not friendly, but since I am an introvert I've always depended on extrovert people to open up my world, and there aren't many like that here, I wish I was like you and that I could strike up conversations as easily. I would suggest to people moving here or anywhere to have a conversation with your significant other and/or family about what to do in case one can't adapt, I didn't and this caused me to separate, so be careful. On the other hand, if you are one of the lucky ones who are not bothered by this weather, this is a great city! Be aware that you won't know how you respond until you've lived here, but then again some people only struggle after some years. It also depends on where you are coming from and how wealthy you are, if you can spend several weekends on the east side or even better, travel to other out of state sunny places, then this one of the best places to live. I did went on vacation and that only helped me realize I didn't want to stay here in the long run.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
I'm moving to Seattle next month, so I'll definitely find all this out for myself. But I have a slightly different question. I've gathered from reading this forum that a lot of people living in the Seattle area now are native Californians, or at least people who lived in California before moving to Seattle. Is that the source of all this talk about bad weather and Seasonal Affective Disorder? California is kind of an anomaly for its good weather, and this has few parallels in the rest of the country. I'm moving from Chicago, and I'm actually looking forward to the major improvement I'll be getting for winter weather. Is this kind of weather-related depression something that also affects people from places with less perfect climates than that of California?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Is this kind of weather-related depression something that also affects people from places with less perfect climates than that of California?
I would think six months or more of overcast has got to affect people from anywhere where the sun usually shines. This morning the cloud layer was so thick I had to turn the house lights on to see even though the sun had risen an hour earlier. At 11 AM, lights still needed. After more than 20 years here I'd rather stay home than do an outdoor activity under gray skies.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:21 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
Here's a map that shows solar radiation across the US, and in a few European countries. The focus here is on potential for generating solar energy, but it's relevant in this conversation too.

The Pacific Northwest definitely stands out for its lack of sunlight, but there are other areas of the country (i.e. the eastern Great Lakes region) that are also pretty cloudy. In that case, it's mostly due to a largely sun-less winter, while summers are generally pretty sunny.

I'm not sure how exactly this plays out in Seattle, but what I've noticed living in the Midwest is that people who can deal with the weather effectively are much happier. I have a lot of friends who absolutely refuse to go out in the cold in the winter, even if it's possible to wear enough warm clothing and drink enough hot beverages to overcome any physical challenges. It's important to not slip into a funk when the weather gets bad. For Seattle, I'd imagine that good ways to deal with it are to have a living space with lots of big windows, invest in some bright and vibrantly-colored clothing and decor, and set aside a travel budget to go to sunnier places periodically.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
Quote:
For Seattle, I'd imagine that good ways to deal with it are to have a living space with lots of big windows, invest in some bright and vibrantly-colored clothing and decor, and set aside a travel budget to go to sunnier places periodically.
Big windows don't cut it for me. I'm next to big windows right now but lights are still needed. Plus it's ugly gray out there! Travel does it. The travel budget grows every year. It's hard to do in a weekend, and expensive, since we're in the corner of the US. Even two months out of the area isn't enough for me, which is why I'll eventually move.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM

229 posts, read 337,755 times
Quote:
I'm moving to Seattle next month, so I'll definitely find all this out for myself. But I have a slightly different question. I've gathered from reading this forum that a lot of people living in the Seattle area now are native Californians, or at least people who lived in California before moving to Seattle. Is that the source of all this talk about bad weather and Seasonal Affective Disorder? California is kind of an anomaly for its good weather, and this has few parallels in the rest of the country. I'm moving from Chicago, and I'm actually looking forward to the major improvement I'll be getting for winter weather. Is this kind of weather-related depression something that also affects people from places with less perfect climates than that of California?
I can't speak for anyone else but I lived in Indiana for over 24 years and NEVER had this issue. I endured zero below temps, snow storms, high humidity, REAL winters but was fine. I admit living in CA for a while does spoil ones somewhat but it wasn't like I was born and raised there. I actually love the changing of seasons. In Indiana even with snow on the ground or during winter we still get sun. Of course there be some days we get nothing but clouds but here I think I counted 16 - 20 days of non stop rain and gloom but my friend pointed out it might have been more like 40 - 45 days of either rain or gloom before a good day then another two weeks of rain or gloom then another tease then more rain/ gloom. THAT was a rough period and I KNEW it was an issue.

I actually visited WA twice in the winter (both times over a week in rain and gloom and even one of the worst snow storms a couple years ago) to "prepare" myself to see if I could handle it but to be honest your so excited about the area you fool yourself in thinking oh this is no problem... until you live in the area. Like I said before there are obviously lots of people who can handle the weather and in fact LOVE it. I was also reminded there are parts of WA where SAD is not an issue (I think Spokane was mentioned). Bottom line no one REALLY knows if they can deal with it until they experience it. You can visit like me but until you're REALLY in the area THEN you know. No one should make you feel bad for admitting it but at the same time no one should bash the entire state or be bitter about the weather since I do love the areas I lived or visited and it could make people feel your in a sense bashing them as well. I still will hold this area in high regard and definitely come back to visit... just in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area